Where did you get your bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
I was just wondering where all of you aquired your rabbits and why.

Before I got Chompers, I never thought I'd ever have a pet rabbit.Sure, we had rabbits growing up, but that was a long time ago (or so itseems now :p ) My mother was the one to talk me into getting Chompers,she had a friend who has a VERY irresponsible adult daughter. My mothertold me of a rabbit in need, how he wasn't being cared for. I kindaonly listened with one ear, but finally I suggested she bring him to myhouse and that I would keep him in my heated garage and care for himuntil we found a proper home.

Well. That lasted about half a second as soon as I laid my eyes on him.He was in a dark garage that stank of oil and gas, all the windows shutup and his cage with FILTHY. I cannot describe how horrid his livingcondition was. On top of the filth, the cage was WAY too small for him,he couldn't even stand up. There was no food or hay either. When Iopened the door, he literally jumped into my arms. I pretty much wentout that night and bought a new cage for him (of course that turned outto not be good enough and I bought one more before breaking it down forthe cage my husband and I built.) It took him a couple weeks to adjustto me, but I could tell he was much happier with me instead of where hewas. I'll never forget how happy I was when he hopped up tome and started licking me, as I knew he had finally accepted me.

Since then (this was last September), I've moved from the States toCanada and as I'm going through a rather long immigration process andcan't work, I was going stir crazy. Our soluation? A baby rabbit! Whatbetter way to take up free time than training and caring for a new bun?So we got Abby at a locally owned pet store. Like I said in a previouspost somewhere, it was love at first sight between the two. Now they'reinseperable. She can be a handful, as only a baby can be, but alreadyshe's shaping out to be a good bun. She's still a bit skittish, butgetting MUCH better with daily handling.

Here they are, begging for raisins, which happens to be their favorite treat.

Well, my friend got 3 rabbits at a local auctionwhen they were babies, she was told they were all males. She kept themall housed in the same hutch and came home one Tuesday in the Spring of2003 to find 9 baby bunny all frozen to death. She immediately sortedout which one was the male and separated them, then removed the poorlittle dead block of babies. :(About a week later, her otherfemale gave birth to 9babies. In that litter was only onemocha colored bunny and the first time I say him, I fell in love. Soshe promised me that if I could convince my parents, she would hold himfor me. Well my dad gave in and we built a hutch and when he was about6 or 7 weeks old, I brought him home with his brother who my friend wastaking. That little mocha colored bunny is my Mocha.:)Exactly 4 week after Mocha was born, the doe that had thefirst litter, gave birth toher second litter of nine. Thistime the doe made a much better nest and cared for the babies better.In that last litter was Spice, named because he had a twin sister whoyou could only tell apart by the obvious anatomy difference which wenamed Sugar (Sugar& Spice). My friend lost one babyof that litter when it got milk up its nose but the rest were givenaway to good homes except Spice and the 3 females she was keeping. Iwanted another so badly and my mom agreed it would be good to getMochaa friend, so I brought Spice home at around 10 - 12weeks of age. And ever since they have been my babies!

Sorry it's long but you asked for it! ;):p

I was givin Norton for Christmas from my husbandand two children 3.5 years ago. He was a pet storebunny. I had said to the hubby that I would justlove a house bunny. I wanted a mini lop at that point andtime and so he and the kids went out shopping one night. Icame home from work to this snow white baby bunny I am notsure how old he was but the hubby was told he wouldn't get muchbigger. Well Norton kept growing and growing and growing andnow he is a full size french lop. but thats okay more of himto love!

Mcafee was left in a box on my brothersworkdoorstep. He called me and asked if I wouldtake her and me being me I couldnt resist.

Much like Norton,Elf was a pet store bunny that grew and grew. She's my doll baby,though. I'd never give her up.

Previously, I purchased my first rabbitfrom a bunny farm in Michigan. My second rabbit was from a bunny farmin Tallahassee. My third rabbit was the daughter of my second rabbit.My fourth was a humane society rescue. My fifth was an adoption fromone of my students who was giving her up.

I'm dedicated to adopting my next onefrom the humane society. I've been thinking of possibly bonding Elf toa male...if/when one is available locally. :)

EDIT: THIS is tempting...

get_image.asp

Martian...

OR...

get_image.asp

PJ

Right here in Jacksonville!

rabbit_toon_heart_lg_nwm.gif

Most of our buns, past and present, have beenrescued from a local no-kill animal shelter or as give-aways from localpeople. One of our buns was a pedigree, purchasedfrom a breeder, who was by far the most significant bunny we ever ownedand perfect in most every way. Alas, he has crossed over theBridge.

A word about rescues. Remember, buns in animal shelters havebeen placed there for a myriad of reasons, not always because theirowner tire of them a few months after Easter passes. Some aresick, maimed, or old and not all shelters are rabbit knowledgeableenough to always pick that up.

Some private organizations practice rescuing rabbits fromshelters that have been unsuccessful in adopting them out. Inmany of those instances, these bunniesare brokenbunnies, often who have been maimed, malformed, blinded,crippled or psychologically traumatized in the past. It is anadmirable thing to adopt such a bunny if one is willing to spend thetime andmoney for medical treatment that might becomenecessary.

Usually, purchasing from a reputable breeder enhances your prospect ofgetting a fine, healthy bunny. I am just saying, forewarnedis forearmed, when it comes to dealing with rescues.

Buck

The late Minnie was a horriblyneglectedpet, ill-fed and given up when she hit her leggy and obnoxious teens.She was the ugliest baby bunny I've ever seen, but I thought she wasperfect. She regularly sank her teeth into any part of me she couldreach, but was also violently affectionate. She grew into a long,leggy, graceful lady with long beautiful black eyelashes and a sandycoat tipped with gray. An odd and pretty mix. She died in my freshmanyear of college at 9 yrs. of age.

Smokey was part of an indeterminate litter of dwarfs chosed at randomby us four kids with little or no idea how to take care of bunnies. Shewas the first, 12 years ago.

Bunbun, who just died recently,was a 3-4 wk. old Palominobaby from a not-so-good pet store, pale downy goldenorange,barely weaned and so little he fit in a 9-yr.-oldboy's cupped hands. My brother gave him to me when he got tired of theresponsibility. Bunbun fell in love with me the day he changedowners--don't ask me how he knew! He and I adored each other, and Imiss him terribly.

Izzy was a 6-wk.-old Holland Lop bought from a good breeder, gentle,timid, a pedigree longer than she was. After a few days of hiding interror, she bonded firmly with me--thanks to the old ear strokingtechnique!

A year later, almost exactly, she was bred and gave birth to abeautiful litter, from which I kept her daughter, Pandemonium, and herson, Fenwick.

Bub is Bunbun's son, out of a borrowed doe (Tank), born only a few daysafter his death. He's already far bigger than his daddy was when we gothim.

That's my herd!

Rose

P.S. Someday I want to add a Flemish Giant to that!

My son came home from his Grandparents' farm withJunior (after we had already told him no to a pet rabbit!) His grandmais an animal lover and had several litters of baby bunnies. I swear itis like Old McDonald's farm there! They have at least one ofeverything. He knew once I saw that furry little ball of fluff Iwouldn't be able to say no :) We went the next day to let Spencer pickout a bunny and that is how Sweetpea also came to live with us! Wecouldn't have them sharing the same bunny now could we LOL.Of course over the past 5 months they have become MY bunnies, alongwith our newest addition Porky the Guinea Pig. The kids get mad when Irefer to the critters as mine though.:p

Elf Mommy,

Not at all! Just trying to let newbies know that one has tobe careful when "rescuing" rabbits. One could be getting a"bigger pig in a poke" than anticipated initially.

Obvously, you and we have done fairly okay in that respect, although, Ido have one potential "biter," who is getting better as heages. If I had known he was a "biter," I would not have takenhim and bonded him to our doe.

Buck

Great Post, Stephanie! :dude:

Very interesting and lots of fun!

I got my Tucker on 9/11/01 from my 2nd favorite breeder; first being Doc Pam Nock.

Got my Fauna girl from my Favorite Friend (now family), Buck Jones, whorescued her. I met Buck and his Beautiful Bride through this forum.

:)

-Carolyn

My first bunny came from a ad in the newspaper.She passed away in oct of last year. Luv who is 3 and half. So cute!!came from a local no kill shelter. I thought i got a gooddeal. She was fixed and came with her cage for a low cost. Itry and help out there once a week but it isnt working out and i onlyget there once every two weeks.

Cristy

Great Post Stephanie,

I can't remember my first rabbitsbecause i was only like 3 back then but when i was 5 a lady my momworked with had been hiding Silver in her closet but her mom found outand she had to give it away and she knew i had liked animals so thatshow i got him. I really became attacched to a little bunnythat i got from the neighbors down the road but i think he left mom tooearly bacuase he died in less than a week. The bunnies that ihave now have come out of the newspaper and from a garage sale i couldsay a lot more but i won't make it that long. "
Robert

Mr. Peabody was a classroom pet but when schoolended the teacher decided she didn't want to deal with him the nextyear. So my sister-in-law took him home. Shealready had three bunnies. On visit She took my oldestdaughter and I out to see the bunnies. I happened to mentionthat I'd always wanted a bunny and she said if I could talk my hubbyinto it, I could have him. So we packed him in the van and hemade the trip from New York to Virginia that very weekend.After about a week, I talked my hubby into building him a much biggercage. I swear he lives like a king now. Mysister-in-laws bunnies stay out in the garage/shed and only see peoplewhen it's feeding time. As a matter of fact they're down totwo now, a dog got the other one. Every time I see them Ithank God my husband agreed to let me take Mr. P.

I love hearing all these storeis. :) Seems likesome of you were like me, didn't think you'd ever have a rabbit andnext thing you know you have multiples!

I'm already thinking of getting another one, but two is enough for now.We also have two cats (the cats get alone fine with the buns, as youall probably know.) As we're moving in a month, and then probablysomeplace else in another year from now, I think I'll wait until we'remore settled. I already did a ten hour drive move once with threeanimals.....

Ebony had been dumped onthe doorstep of the vetsand I took her in and I love her to pieces. We got her because my lastrabbit died. *sobs*

Then theres Fidget. Instead of getting 1 rabbit we decided to get two.And Fidget is the slow brainless but veeeeery cute. He's a dutch(orangge and white) and erm yeh. We got him from a pet store. But whenwe did he had a brother and I felt so evil taking him away from hisbrother. Because Fidget was the one running round and his brother justsat there scared to death. I really wasnt sure if he could make itwithout Fidget...

I got my first rabbit, Fudge, from a pet storethat was closing down. I went in to buy some food for my budgies andthere she was - all alone surrounded by empty cages where all herfriends had been. When I asked what would happen to her if she wasn'tsold, the girl shrugged and gave the impression that she would be putto sleep. Well, couldn't have that, could I, so Fudge came home withus, and took over our lives from day one. I can't believe I survived somany years without the love of a bunny! She was my baby girl, and whenshe died last year, aged 3, my heart was broken.

After a month, I was missing bunny love so much we decided to get 2rabbits, as we knew one couldn't replace Fudge, so I went to our localRSPCA centre. We saw Perry first (he was called Merry at the time) andhe had been there the longest (6 months) so we decided we had to havehim, and then we saw Pernod and chose her. I don't think Icould ever live without rabbits now, and one day would like to have arabbit rescue.

Jan

I remember a lot about the dad we got Flopsy and Fuffy.

My mom picked me upafter school on sunny December2001 tuesday afternoon. I had been begging to go to the pet store forweeks. So she surprised me by driving me and my sister to the mallinstead of home. Then we walked to the petstore. While me and my sisterwhere looking at the puppies Mom was lookings at the bunnies. "Girlswhy don't you look at the bunnies. Breanna (my sister) asked a shopworker if yshe could hold the grey rabbit, wild looking marks(anertherland dwarf). I picked up a black one. We held the buns and letthem hop around the store (there wasen't many people there that day.you can bet though that the worker was at my moms sisde telling her howeasy they were to train). We begged mom if we could keep them. Shefinally gave in, but we had to call my dad and see if it was ok withhim.... he was easy. Then the manger came and my mom told him that wewanted to rabbits of the same sex.

Mom said that we we going to deffiently get the nertherland (as youmight have geussed which is Fluffy) The manger turned Fluffy over andtold us the he was a girl. Then he took the bunny I hadand flipped him over and said that he was a boy. So I had to put himback. And then I picked up what I think was a white holland lop whitebrown and black markings. I loved that bunny too. He was adorable. Themanger flipped him over too and said "hes a boy too". So then I pick upanother black long hair bunny and he told us that I picked a girl.Meand Bre let the buns hop around and I picked up Flopsy abndput him in a dog dish. thats how small he was.

---------------------------------

When we got home we let them run around the bouns room. And I said I amgoing to name he Fluffy. And Bre goes know thats what I'm going myrabbit. Well we could have to raabits name the same thing so I namedFlospy, Flopsy.

-----------------------------------

A year later the bunnys start "showing affection" for each other. Somom and I found an vet. We took them and he told us that they whereboth boys. We burst out laughing. The petstore told us that they wereboth girls. Then when they started trying to give "love" to each other.We thought that Fluffy was a boy and Flopsy was agirl. Know we knowthat they are both boys. They are neutured know so we don't have toworry anymore.

I work at a grocery store and a couple came inone day and was telling me about a couple of rabbits they got from afriend of theirs. Well the dad had an allergic reaction to them so theygave them away to my customers. They were telling me that they didntknow they could keep them and i said that i have always wanted arabbit. They said they would talk about it and if they didnt want tokeep them then they would let me have them. Two hours later they showedup at the store again with two rabbits in a cage that wasfalling apart and rusted, a pillow that they got out of someonesgarbage and all was inside a really hot van with no water or food. Ifelt really bad for them but i needed to wait so i could come home andget permision from the people that i live with. But they told me thatthey couldnt take them back home. So they dropoed Corbon and Leilu ofat work and i took them home with me and fell in love with both ofthem. After i got Corbon Neutered Leilu gave birth to four littleones...now i have six!!And love them all!!

Where My Bunnies Came From:

Megan : Paulmac Pet Food Store

Peppy: PJ's Pet Centre

Both were what they were supposed to be and very healthy.

Cost:

Megan : $24.99

Peppy: Free with purchase of cage.

Latest posts

Back