When you get a new rabbit, do you...?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashy

Reaction score
...quarantine it?

And for whatever you do, why do you do it that way? And if you do quarantine, how extreme is your quarantine?

I was just wondering really.

I personally quarantine any new rabbit into the house for at least three weeks (depending on the rabbit and how it looks), and treat them for mites, fleas, etc. I also make sure that I change my clothes if I have held them or anything, etc. And there is lots of cleaning, etc, going on until we know they are ok.

Nop. I take the new bunny to the vet, and don't quarantine him/her unless vet thinks its needed. I also clean less when they are new, so the scents gets all together and he/she feels more comfortable and the other resident rabbits start getting the idea there is a new friend coming soon.

I do, just in case.

Like when I first got Bruno, he had a bit of mushy poop and diarrhea. This happened the day after I got him, and thank goodness it wasn't coccidiosis or anything because if it was and I had put him with the girls, they could have become very ill.

He was also sneezing, and still is, although I'm pretty sure it's just the air and dust in the t.v. room.

Quarantine here lasts 4 weeks, and I usually wash my hands very well and put on a different shirt while handling and being around the other bunny. With Bruno I also wore gloves and showered after cleaning his cage in case he had an intestinal parasite.

Better to be safe than sorry!

Whenever I have pet-sat rabbits I always quarantine them just because although I know they are in good health and are vaccinated you never can be 100% sure that they aren't carrying an illness that could be passed on to my rabbits which I would never risk.

Back