When you get a new bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It may sound silly but the best way to get a newbun to trust you and come to you and be affectionate with you is toignore it. Let your bun out of the cage and sit near it butignore it, read a book or something. Soon the buns curiositywill get the best of her and she'll hop over and sniff you and thenstart climbing on you. Just keep ignoring her. Thenyou can start to talk to her, and try to pet her. It may takeseveral sessions. Once she trusts that you are safe you'll beable to pet her and start to pick her up. Make sure if sheindicates that she wants down, to put her down right away.She shouldn't be forced is she isn't comfortable, you want her to trustyou. It takes a little while to build a bond.Treats are a good way to bond too, but too many treats aren't good fora bunny. I'm sure she'll be a snuggle bun in no time.

Elf loves to be held, but only if I'm alsogiving her attention. I can hold and groom her for a long time. I canhold her like a baby for a long time. I can hold and pet her for a longtime. If I'm just holding her, she gets bored and wants to go exploringin the house. When we're outside, she'll periodically crawl into my lapor arms, or even right up to my shoulder if she hears something shedoesn't like (car, dog, bird).

Strange bun, I know. :)

Well, I think the buns personality has a lot todo with it. My female is kinda shy but she LOVES tocuddle. My male is very friendly and outgoing (he comes to mewhen I call him :p) They are both from the samelitter. I have had them for almost four months. Iguess I have had so much luck because I am lucky enough to be able todevote LOTS of time to them each day. I pick them up andcuddle them many times a day. At first they (of course)weren't this friendly. Try hand-feeding to build trust, talkto them (or as my mom says 'coo' to them) in a sweet gentle voice, holdthem and be sure they are getting plenty of excercise. Ithink that makes for a very happy bunny.

I imagine it also depends on the bunny too. Perhaps somerabbits will never, ever want to be cuddled. Just be paitentand gentle and hopefully they will come around.

Are you bun(s) male? Female? How old? Do tell all ;)

HUGS!

My baby Zebedee jumps up on my lap when I'msitting on the sofa, and is ok to pick up but when he wants to get downhe nips, as he is small it doesn't hurt but I'm hoping it will stopbefore he getsbig.

**"as he is small it doesn't hurt but I'm hopingit will stop before he getsbig. "**

Trust me when he getsbigger IT will HURT ! andbleed lol , I can attest to that , I have2 that bite hard enough toleave damage behind , little boogers .

I'm not sure that Ellie likes being held, or just tolerates it.

She is way more affectionate towards me than my husband ordaughter. In fact, my poor sweet husband got down on thefloor with her yesterday and tried to pet her and she growled twice andbit him LOL I told himhe just doesn't spend enuftime with her. :?

She will let me cuddle her before bedtime and first thing in themorning when I let her out of her cage....oh and she's VERYaffectionate when the nummie bag (yogurt drops) comes out....she isalllll over me....it's ok though I have her figured out. I'lltake the bunny kisses however I can get them LOL :D

Latest posts

Back