when to lower intake on pellets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planetjenessa

Reaction score
My bunny is about 1 1/2 months old.
He is mix breed with Rex and dawrf

I've read somewhere until there am adult to feed bunny unlimited pellets and at a cretin age, reduce pellet intake to 1/2-1/4 cup daily.

My question is. At what AGE/months do I lower the intake of feeding pellets to my bunny based on his breed and size!
As of now, he eats A LOT lol... and I don't want to over feed him.
I can't seem to find a quick answer here on the web search, so I come to all of you who are experience with bunny rabbits.

ALSO at what age do I start feeding vegetables to him? I know I'm supposed to feed 1 cup daily.. but at what age??

Thank you all in advance ;)

Once they hit about 7 months, you can begin slowly lowering how many pellets you offer. It may seem he's eating alot, but he's alot growing alot at this time and needs the extra food. Is your bun the one in the avatar? For some reason, he looks older than 6 wks. Maybe they messed up on the age they told you he was?

Like Bunny above me said, about 7 months you can reduce to 1/4 to 1/2 cup per 6lbs of bunny :D
You can slowly introduce greens at 4 months, I started with romaine, then added parsley, mint, dill, kale etc :D RO has a great list in its care section, I printed mine out and take it with me to the store. Its recommended to get up to 2 cups per 6lbs of bunny, thats about 2xs the bunnies head.

I have a young minirex too. When I brought him home he would eat at least a whole cup of pellets a day! Granted he's also nonstop motion. He's 10 months old now and I'm still filling the bowl every day because there are always pellets left over. My vet said that since both he and his bond mate are trim not to worry about decreasing the pellets until he hits a year. It might have more to do with Becky loosing weight while she was sick though. Gary has slowed down on his eating on his own.

Thank you all!
So I'm supposed to feed him 2 cups daily? Not 1 cup?
I read almost everywhere to feed rabbits 1cup daily, not I'm confussed :/
As for age, well I went to the pet store every week until I got him, he was born there, November 12, so at that time when picture was taken he was about 6 1/2 weeks old!

Latest posts

Back