When to give alfalfa to the littles

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savannahg4

Reaction score
I have heard alfalfa is supposed to be fed to baby rabbits but not to adults. Am I just suppossed to feed alfalfa for the few weaks I have them after they are weaned? :confused:

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Rabbit Forum mobile app

I have heard alfalfa is supposed to be fed to baby rabbits but not to adults. Am I just suppossed to feed alfalfa for the few weaks I have them after they are weaned? :confused:

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Rabbit Forum mobile app
the dietary requirements of little buns is different than an adult,--yes you are correct little buns can eat alfalfa-,here is a link which should clear up any confusion http://www.medirabbit.com alfalfa is related to clover therefore fed as a treat ie.adult bun---timothy is highest in dietary fiber and the other grasses (ie orchard,etc)-.are just as good just slightly lower in the fiber,and being herbivores buns gi tract need to operate at optimum efficiency,--sincerely james waller:bunny19:brown-bunny:bunny18:flowerskiss:

I offer all my rabbits alfalfa hay, never had issues. I now generally buy 50lb bags of alfalfa squares (for horses) and give those out for them to nibble on/play with. The youngsters use them a lot more, and they seem to really add to the growth of a young rabbit, adults just push them around, don't really care much for em.

I wish I could find similar in timothy hay.

We were told by our vet to give young rabbits alfalfa for the extra protein and calcium needed for growth and at six months to change them to Timothy or Orchard Grass. We went with the Orchard as I'm allergic to the Timothy.

We were told by our vet to give young rabbits alfalfa for the extra protein and calcium needed for growth and at six months to change them to Timothy or Orchard Grass. We went with the Orchard as I'm allergic to the Timothy.
Just like to throw it out there- not everything vets say/recommend is correct or proper or knowledgeable. This coming from someone who took vet classes, before realizing I wanted nothing to do with the career and what a joke it was. ;(

Just like to throw it out there- not everything vets say/recommend is correct or proper or knowledgeable. This coming from someone who took vet classes, before realizing I wanted nothing to do with the career and what a joke it was. ;(

That's why practical knowledge is good. The best rabbit savy vet is one whose raised rabbits themselves. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum

That's why practical knowledge is good. The best rabbit savy vet is one whose raised rabbits themselves. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Rabbit Forum
Even then it's best to be taken with a grain of salt. I've had people tell me XYZ was terrible and the wrong way to do things with many species- while others say it's the right way. Type of hay is one of those things that honestly it really doesn't matter all that much...

I've had people tell me how a rabbit absolutely HAS to eat hay, yet I have a 16lb mutt rabbit sitting a few feet behind me at almost 2 who rarely wants it at all, so I hardly offer it. He eats exclusively pellets 95% of his diet, and he's perfectly healthy...

Not everything is set in stone, people must remember that. ;)

Even then it's best to be taken with a grain of salt. I've had people tell me XYZ was terrible and the wrong way to do things with many species- while others say it's the right way. Type of hay is one of those things that honestly it really doesn't matter all that much...

I've had people tell me how a rabbit absolutely HAS to eat hay, yet I have a 16lb mutt rabbit sitting a few feet behind me at almost 2 who rarely wants it at all, so I hardly offer it. He eats exclusively pellets 95% of his diet, and he's perfectly healthy...

Not everything is set in stone, people must remember that. ;)

There is no one answer to every question. I dont suggest you listen to anyone who says all things read the same book. Every piece of advice is different. You must take in all you can and find something that works for you.

That being said no one has asked what kind of pellets are you feeding. If alfalfa is one of the first couple of ingredients you probably shouldnt give alfalfa hay also. Alfalfa hay is very high in protein and if fed too much (or sometimes even just fed to sensitive rabbits) it can cause scours. All of our breeding rabbits (young and old) are on alfalfa pellet with a horse quality coastal hay

There is no one answer to every question. I dont suggest you listen to anyone who says all things read the same book. Every piece of advice is different. You must take in all you can and find something that works for you.

That being said no one has asked what kind of pellets are you feeding. If alfalfa is one of the first couple of ingredients you probably shouldnt give alfalfa hay also. Alfalfa hay is very high in protein and if fed too much (or sometimes even just fed to sensitive rabbits) it can cause scours. All of our breeding rabbits (young and old) are on alfalfa pellet with a horse quality coastal hay
Sure, every advice is different. One of the things I hate the most is absolutes. I've fed diets that "aren't suggested" with no ill results for years, then again- I personally feel like a lot of the ways in which people "spoil" their rabbits lead to more health problems than things like alfalfa pellets/hay combined.

Back