When to get a second rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle94

Reaction score
Hi Rabbit friends, my 11 weeks old mini lop is my very first rabbit and I want to do everything right. I hope you can give me some tips and advice on getting a male mini lop friend for him!
When I got him the breeder told me if I want to get a second rabbit I should get one before he is 12 weeks old otherwise it will be difficult to get them to become friends or share his hutch because he’ll be territorial.
It’s been really hard to get another rabbit because apparently everyone wants to buy or adopt a rabbit for their kids because it’s Easter, I still can’t believe this stupidity.
Also considered getting on after he is desexed but due to the virus vets only do emergency surgeries and it might be another month.
I’m not sure what to do and I’m worried that he won’t allow another rabbit in his home.
Anyone got some advice what’s best to do?

Welcome to the forum!
I would get a second rabbit a few months after your first rabbit is neutered. It would be best to get a spayed female rabbit as they are usually easiest to bond together. I don’t think it’s true that past 12 weeks it’s too difficult to bond. I’m planning on bonding my one year old male sometime this year (maybe next year). I wouldn’t stress about not getting one this week.

Welcome! I feel the same way about people getting their kids rabbits for Easter.
The reason your breeder said that is because s/he is talking about a baby bond (also known as a false bond). Bonding babies doesn't work. Once they reach 2-6 months old puberty hits and they will attack each other.

You will need to get your current rabbit spayed or neutered. Female rabbits must be at least 6 months to be spayed, and male rabbits must be at least 12 weeks. After your rabbit is fixed, you need to adopt an already spayed/neutered rabbit or spay/neuter the new rabbit. They will need 1-2 months after surgery to recover and to let their hormones settle before you can start the bonding. Bonding Bunnies

Hi and welcome to the forums :)

If you want to have two male rabbits they need to be both neutered first and you need to wait about two months after that, because now at 11 weeks they are still babies and would get along just fine, but in a few weeks (normally starting week 12-16) they will start entering into their teenage phase and will become hormonal and will start fighting for dominance. That can get really bad and they can even kill each other, you won't be able to keep them together anymore.

Best way to get your first rabbit a friend would be to find an older fixed female (older than 6 months and fixed more than 2 months ago) from a rescue or from people looking to rehome their rabbit. Then you will have a better chance they will become friends.

But I would recommend also neuter your boy and wait 2 months after neutering before you get any other rabbit. Because if he will be still intact he can start spraying urine on female even if she is fixed and all around on walls, on you as well, this is very unpleasant I can tell you as I had this when I adopted a fixed female as a companion for my unneutered boy, he was sweetest boy before that, when she was here he changed dramatically and sprayed all over, so don't put yourself into a tight spot, neuter him as soon as you can and get another fixed female after 2 months after neuter.

Back