when should i neuter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horselvrkc

Reaction score
Riley is 3 months old now, so when should I get him neutered? This month? ITs horrible how every vet in my area that actually spays and neuters bunnys charge around 200$!!! I think i will have to make a long drive to get it cheap. How much did you get your bunny spayed/neutered for? Thanks!

-Kat

Your rabbit can be neutered as soon as his testicles descend, which is usually around 4 months.

It does usually cost more to have a rabbit spay/neutered than it does a dog or cat. Not all vets are experienced with rabbits, so you're paying for the extra expertise. $200 is not unheard of, if the vet is rabbit-savvy. Check with your local animal control or rabbit rescue group to see if they offer spay/neuter rebates. Here in San Diego, there are multiple rebate programs available: http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/health/spay_neuter_rebates.html

Yep, it's nothing you need to be in a rush to do. You might have hormonal/spraying issues. The costs vary by area. I paid about $170 for a neuter the last time, which was one year ago.

"Descend" is when the testicles will drop out of the abdominal cavity and into the scrotal sacs where you can see them. This can occur literally overnight. One day they're not there, and the next day, they are :)

You want to wait until they descend because the procedure is much easier, and it's not necessary to go into the abdominal cavity.

You can start checking your bunny every few days for those tell-tale little lumps.;)

Amy
www.sandiegorabbits.org
www.catsandrabbitsandmore.com

Congratulations!:)

It's not necessary to neuter as soon as the testicles descend, that's just the earliest you can do it. If he's not really hormonal yet, you can wait until he is. Behaviors to look for include mounting, circling and spraying. Is he doing any of this? Some rabbits become more hormonal than others, and not all display these behaviors. I would suggest neutering him by the time he's six months old, but it's not something you need to rush to do now. Unless, of course, he starts completely driving you up a wall!

You can also check with the vet and see what s/he recommends.

Amy
www.sandiegorabbits.org
www.catsandrabbitsandmore.com

Ok thanks! Hes not doing any spraying or mounting as far as i know. I will call the vet tomoorow and see what they recoomend. Thanks!!

UPDATE: Please read. I called a vet and they did it very cheaply, but they said we only do it when they are 6 months old because they can handle the anesthetic? Is this true? Should i really wait THAT long?! also he said that rabbit pellets that are brown/beige do not have any nutrition at all and neither does timothy hay. He says that you should give alfalfa sometimes. Is this true? Thanks

horselvrkc wrote:
UPDATE: Please read. I called a vet and they did it very cheaply, but they said we only do it when they are 6 months old because they can handle the anesthetic? Is this true? Should i really wait THAT long?! also he said that rabbit pellets that are brown/beige do not have any nutrition at all and neither does timothy hay. He says that you should give alfalfa sometimes. Is this true? Thanks

The vet that neutered my boy Wash won't do boys under 5 month and females under 6. Unless you are having severe problems with spraying, mounting, aggressiveness etc. I don't think you need to get him done right away.

As for the Alfalfa comment: When rabbits are young people usually give them alfalfa because it has different nutrients than timothy that help with growing bunnies (more protein for muscle growth, more calcium for bones for example) But once rabbits get older the extra calcium can cause bladder issues since rabbits get rid of extra calcium through their urine. And I wouldn't think you could tell about nutrition from looking at the color of the pellet, my thought would be to look at the ingredients list on the bag to see what goes into it.

Buns are just fine waiting to 6mnths. I know alot of vets office that won't do it till than. My Wyatt is 13months old. He will not be done for a few more weeks because of the lack of money. It is not horrible to wait.

About the food timothy is usually for buns over 6months old. Alfalfa is primarily for growing buns.

Back