When is the ealiest you can seperate baby from mom?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends. Are you an experienced breeder? If the doe is having trouble or has a change in attitude where now she sees the baby as a threat, then weaning has to be done. I leave my litters in till 8 weeks. This gives them an extra boost. I don't recommend weaning any earlier. Some breeders do it early (I have had to), however, this should only be done by an experienced breeder or if the doe is having problems.

Sharon

I had this same Q when I rescued five from the humane society. The dutch babes were 5 weeks when surrendered with their mom. From my eastern cottontail rehab experience, they looked like 5 months old, instead of 5 weeks!!!

Idove into books in my rabbit library and thought, 'oh no, they'll be at a disadvantage or never survive if I remove 'em before the recommended time.'Another shelterfoster mom reassured me that separating the youngsters around 6-7 weeks was not detrimental.Especially if mom seems stressed from their proximity or overzealous need to chase down and nurse ~ yank off hernipples! You could read it in mom's eyes; she was stressed.Perhaps this willhelp as you consider your special situation.

http://www.linedgroundsquirrels.com/CardboardAndTowels.html

There is also our rescue experience of a tiny white new zealand baby found in a woods. Nibbleswas a shelter intake at approx. 3-4 weeks old, so she was separated from her momvery early on. :?

A lot of the answer to this question depends upon the babies and the mom. I had to wean one set of babies away at 5 weeks of age because mom was wanting to breed and mounting them and attacking them. However, this is very unusual. I've had other moms that pitched a fit when I weaned away the bucks at 7.5 weeks of age and were happy they could still keep the girls with them for a bit longer.

I think what you need to consider is the needs of the baby and the mom. Do they get along well together? Then leave them together for 7 weeks or so and let them have that time together before baby is put into the stressful environment of a new home, etc.

As a breeder, I almost never let a baby leave here unless it has succesfully lived away from mama for a minimum of one week. I want to watch the baby and make sure it has a good adjustment living away from mama. Of course, it is usually in a cage with its littermates...but still yet - for a week it is on solids without mama and I get to make sure it does ok.

I hope this helps. While it is possible to wean early - I try to NOT do so if I can help it.

Peg

Back