When Is The Best Time To Introduce Them To The Rest Of The House?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LionsRawr

Reaction score
So Bubble Gum and Sparrow have been here for three days now. As long as im home they get their cage doors left open and they are free to roam my bunny proofed room.

They have both met my dogs in the bedroom (Labrador and Cocker Spaniel) and it went really well. Bubble Gum especially likes my Lab.

I plan to bring the cats in individually while the rabbits are in their cages (at first like with the dogs) and see how they react. And then go from there wether I let the individual cat meet the buns outside of their cages. From there I will know if the girls can have free roam of the house or if my room will be their maine place.

Now im wondering before I get all the cats introduced (I have four) when would be the best time to introduce the buns to the living room/rest of the house?

Should I give them a week of getting used to me and trusting me before I let them run loose in a area with hiding places (I can still get to these places)? Or is it okay to take them out in the evening with the other animals put away so its not a big shock at once?

Im not trying to rush things. So I guess im just wondering if im doing this the right way. Or if im being too cautious.

Just wanted to update this real quick. I introduced two cats to Sparrow and Bubble Gum and it went pretty well. Quincy my Persian was a good amount of curious and cautious. No aggression or want to eat the buns. He met Bubble Gum out of her cage while Sparrow stayed safely in hers.

I then brought in Emmett my big white male. He is a rescued and was abandoned outdoors. But he was a strictly indoor cat in their foster program for two years. I was most concerned about him since he is the only one of my cats that has ever been outside.

But he actually did really well. He was more afraid of them than anything and didn't really want to get near them or interact. But he showed absolutely no stalking or aggressive behavior.

So far so good! Now they just have two more cats to meet. Im planning on a few more meetings in the next few days with the cats (the dogs sleep in my room so they are pretty used to each other. And im comfortable that neither of my dogs intend no harm). Just incase anything changes.

Sorry this is so long and detailed. They are my first house rabbits so im being cautious.

Remember that even though the meetings went well they shouldn't ever be really trusted unsupervised because either animal could flip, or lash out, or play over enthusiastically and it could lead to harm of the other, and sometimes those things ahve no signs they are about to happen.

As for the house, I wouldn't just let them free roam like that. They have had a huge ordeal (moved home, met new people, met new predators that they are supposed to get on with, etc), so I would leave them in your room for now and then after maybe 2 or 3 weeks (or more if Sparrow is still not settled). Then just gradually increase the space, so maybe allow them first of all your bedroom and then the landing/part of the next room/hall (obviously depending on your setup). As they work out and behave ok in each part then you can look at extending it further. Remember though, you will need to bunny proof any area they are allowed in to avoid any unfortunate accidents or occurances.

Oh no I never ever considered leaving any of them unsupervised. I also already figured on the bunny proofing. Most of the house is actually done because I have been reading up on house rabbits for a year now.

Thanks for the idea on the time lapse. Im all for taking it slow.

I just want to clear up though that when I say free roam I don't mean 24/7 free roam (im too paranoid for that). I mean for a few hours a day being able to run around a bigger space and then go back in the bedroom for the rest of the day.

Latest posts

Back