When Good Rabbits Go Bad

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 9 year old son's little dwarf rabbit ishitting 5 mos. We got him at 2 mos. My son handles him daily,usuallymore than once, other than occasional weekends at his dads. He's alwaysbeen great with my son. Oddly, this is the only animal we have EVER hadthat doesn't like me. Seems like after the first nail trim, he didn'tlike me so much..Nothing serious at first.

Now, though, he is becoming so aggressive I have to feedhim,etc. We had planned on having him castrated before 6 mos, but I washurt on the job last month..and am going to have to go to court to getmedical care and income..so far now I have nothing.

I remember being told about this pubescent stage with rabbits. WhileI've had almost every other animal you can name, and have raisedChinchillas for almost 5 years, this is, my FIRST rabbit.

We've always rescued animals, and worked through a variety of issueswith other species..but I can't have something that puts my child atrisk. I need to find out if it is possible to get through this, andwhat to do. In the meantime I am taking over handling the rabbit, whichis ok because I'm at home all the time at this point..because I cannotlet my son get injured.

He has what I think is a good sized cage for a dwarf rabbit, withplenty of things in it to occupy himself when he's in it. I do have afew large dog crates I can convert to a large multi floored cage. Onething we haven't been doing it taking it out in harness in our backyard(can't let it run free even with us watching due to sheds it can getunder that we can't block.

He was also still on alfalfa pellets, as he'd been on since a baby, andI have switched to Timothy based pellets..figuring he's old enough andless protein might do his attitude good (if the same theory thatapplies to horses has an relevance?)

I'm really sorry you got hurt. Is your work trying not to pay for it? I hope everything works out okay.

5 months is a bit young for timothy pellets. I wouldn'tswitch him to them quite yet as he might still have growing todo. I've never heard of switching to less protein affectingthe personality of a rabbit.

As for the aggression, what are you doing when it happens?Where are you and where is he? I've found that it's mucheasier to clean the cage, refill hay and pellets, etc when the rabbitsare out of their cages. Especially with aggressive rabbits,which all three of my girls were before being spayed (and still are tosome extent). Also, let him approach you instead of you oryour son approaching him for petting, picking up, etc.

But also, don't back down to him. Keep calm and simply tellhim no if he goes to bite you or smack you with his paws.Then slowly move away. If you give him a big reaction he'lllearn that being aggressive gets him what he wants.

What kind of cage is he in now? If you have a dog cratesitting around that's bigger, I'd definately go for it. WhenI've upgraded my rabbits to larger cages, I've noticed that they'reless stressed and less aggressive with me and each other.It's even more important if you won't be able to allow him out as muchdue to the aggression.

Well, a bit of an update.

Still haven't been able to find a home for Poe ( I have an ad postedhere). If anyone near us wants him, that I can assure is a good home,you can have him. I am asking an adoptin fee elsewhere to help screenout the initial people who want a free rabbit for who knows what.

But onto his behaviour. And no, we are still awaiting court. So stillno income on my behalf, we are struggling to make our housepaymentevery month and I can't get the rabbit neutered at this time.

Turns out, his aggression is more toward me than anyone. I thinkbecause I am the one that trims his nails,etc? He HATES that. Sometimeshe's sweet with me..but not much. Now my son or husband (and my husbandhas nothing to do with the rabbit) walk into my son's room and up tothe cage, he comes up to the bars to be petted. I walk in, and up tothe cage, and he puts his head down and starts the like "low barelyaudible/high pitched kinda.."Mumbling" is the only way I can describeit..and his eyes get big. And I'm the one that feeds him more and giveshim all his fresh stuff. But, I am the only one that does his nails.We've started taking him out in the back yard with a harness and leash.Not sure if he likes it or not, but think once he gets more used to ithe'll like it? Or is it too scary for him?

Are you spending time with him OTHER thanfeeding him or trimming his nails? What about putting some fruit loopsor cheerios in your pocket and taking him out and letting him play andthen come to you for the treats?

It could be that the ONLY thing he associates you with is the nail trimming...versus "fun" too.

Peg

I'm the one that takes him out on the harness,but again I'm not sure if he enjoys it. BUT I'd think eventually hewould, and might like playing with one of our Chihuahuas who loves him.So far he ignores her out in the yard though. I haven't done cheerios.I give him his carrots/kale/spinach/fruit. but he will not take it outof my hand. I do get hm out and hold him and just pet him. He won't eata carrot when sitting with me, but will sitting with my son (or otherthings) which again shows he does not feel comfortable with me as myson. He may end up not liking women because of this, I hope not though.It's just amazing because I am the animal person, and the one eversingle dog we've had ADORES. thats how almost all our animals are,always. This is the only pet we've ever had that just seems to thinkI'm out to get him. My son can be on the sofa with him, and get up forsomething and have me hold him for a bit. But if he leaves the rabbitloose on the sofa, the rabbit may charge me.

We had a rabbit that we rescued that would comeup and try to box Art with his paws. He was mad at Art because Artwould make him go to the bathroom at night to go to bed. (This waspre-Tiny and the whole reason I got into rabbits again - Art said henever heard me laugh so much in years or be so alive and happy).

I do have a suggestion for you. Try the cheerios thing....only sit andread a book and maybe have the cheerios in a little plastic container.The rabbit will probably get curious and want to come and see you andsee what you have...particularly if you put a cheerio in front of himand he can get it of his own free will. Trust me - he'll want more (anynon-sugared cereal will probably do).

I did this with Tiny a lot when we first got him. He was 3 months oldand totally unsocialized - it really took me almost a year to get himto the point where he would trust me (sometimes he still doesn't). ButI'd lay on the floor and read a book with cheerios aroundsometimes...boy - he loved cheerios and he was so curious. He finallygot to the point where he would let me pet him...but it took some doing.

I think it is a power issue though...and he has to learn that while you're the boss - you're not the enemy.

Peg

Latest posts

Back