When did you know?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkiddle

Reaction score
...to keep a pair you're bonding together? I had Cheeto and Millie together ALL day yesterday (from 2pm to way past midnight.) They are completely fine, but they're not lovebuns. They don't lay next to each other and groom, although there is some grooming going on. They don't look like the bonded pairs I see on here. When did you know that it was "safe" to keep your buns together indefinitely? My two have never gotten in a fight or been aggressive towards each other. They spend at least two hours together every day, and it's been increasing every day. At that time they're completely normal--no fighting. They usually just lay around (not next to each other), use the box, eat hay, and play (they've been binkying!!) :biggrin: But I'm not sure if I'll know when they can be together all the time.

For me, I will have them in the cage together while I am around, but if I have to go out or something I will separate them again. If they are fine for a few days like this, then I will leave them together while I go out for a little bit and work up to over night. If they have been in the cage without issues for 24 hours or so, then they should be ok to stay together. Of course, this come after a few months of bonding, so they should already be comfortable with each other and the cage would be open for them so they do get used to being in the cage. A lot of it is me wanting to be extra sure they will be fine since I am sure they would have been able to live together before I was really sure. I'd rather bonding take a big longer than risk issues by rushing it.
The quickest bond I have done was with Korr and Penelope, that was a couple week. But he had been flirting with her for about a year and a half before.

Thanks for the response! I will work on them staying together in my absence for short periods of time. I was going to do the overnight thing last night, but one of them has been spraying and I didn't want it to dry all over the walls! It's just so much fun cleaning up bunny pee.:rollseyes They still haven't seemed to determine who is the dominate one; they both have "submitted" to each other at times, so I'm curious to see how they work it out!
Another thing I've seen help is that I put both of their litter boxes in the bonding area. That way, spraying/pooping stays to a minimum and they simply mark in each others boxes. It's when their smells are combined (after they've been in there a while) that they seem to spray. I know time will tell, and this has been such good practice for reading bunny language.
Anyway, thanks again. I've had a hard time receiving responses! Probably from the summer weather =)

Latest posts

Back