What's Their Lifespan?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LumLumPop

Reaction score
I have two male rabbits,Lewis and Clark. Clark is a black satin rabbit and Lewis is a tortoise dutch rabbits. They're both still young and I was just wondering what their general lifespan? My dad thinks its 1-2 years like pet rats but I've heard some live for 5-6 years?

All of our pet rabbits have lived to be 10. Two of three are still hopping beyond that. :)

I think there are a lot of factors - genetic, dietary, environmental. Ours have been indoor/outdoor rabbits. Two mixed breeds and one purebred. They have always eaten a plain pellet diet with timothy hay and fresh water.

I don't keep our show bunnies for quite as long, obviously. They are either retired to pet homes or sold to others for breeding/show if they're younger. But I've never lost one, so I'm not sure how long each of them has lived. Most are at least 3-4 years old before they leave though.

Standard life is usually 6-12 years. I've heard of some bunnies living to 16! They definitely don't have a life span as short as 1-2 years, unless they aren't eating very healthily.

My breeders told me 7 years for giant bunnies, my vet told me 10 years. The smaller ones tend to live longer.

The notion that rabbits can only live about 2 years is old and outdated. It comes from a time when most rabbits people were familiar with were farm raised rabbit, for food, not for pets. We know so much more about rabbit anatomy, health and diet in the last several decades that house raised rabbits are known to live an average of much longer. Average I've been told is 8-10 years. Larger breeds tend to live shorter lives because their hearts have trouble keeping up as they grow older. Smaller breeds tend to hop longer. My vet told me that dutch rabbits seem to have good genes, they live long lives. :)

Aww, I wish my hamsters would live past 3 years!!!

My buns are only about a year and a half old, so I have plenty more time to spend with them before they hop over the rainbow bridge!

My vet says 8-10! I think they're considered to be "seniors" when they're 6+ years.

I haven't heard of their being much difference between lifespan of large vs small rabbits. I have heard small rabbits tend to have more dental problems.

I think if the rabbit is neutered or spayed, it also helps them live longer...

None of ours have been altered, and they are living very long lives. :) I think there are a variety of factors that go into it, there's no black or white answer. But many of my friends who breed/show have barn pets that hit at least 6-7 years, but usually 10 or more.

I think the dental issues are found more often in dwarf rabbits, not small ones.

Thank you! That's what I was thinking, lol. For some reason I typed small instead of dwarf.

Thinking more, most of the older Flemish's I know have had more joint issues as they've gotten older than their smaller counterparts.

I'm not really contributing >.>

My very large English lop was at least 9 years old when he passed.

Someone had turned him loose and I found him outside the office. He was an adult, vet estimates about a year old. I had him a little over 8 years. Coolest rabbit ever. Miss you Bob !!

My very large English lop was at least 9 years old when he passed.

Someone had turned him loose and I found him outside the office. He was an adult, vet estimates about a year old. I had him a little over 8 years. Coolest rabbit ever. Miss you Bob !!

That's exactly how I got my first English Lop!

Someone set him "free" at my old place of employment. It was a very industrial/remote area and he survived summer heat, trains, semi trucks, and coyotes for 2 weeks before we finally caught him and brought him home.

I still have him and he's totally bomb proof. Within an hour of bringing him home he was binkying and flopping.

Back