What's the wait time...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuddyAcresHomestead

Reaction score
For a spontaneous abortion, reabsorption or false pregnancy.

Is there anything I can give her to help with her hormones? Because there aren't any babies, and she's acting like there are and they'll be here soon [we had an ultrasound yesterday to confirm the vets and my own opinion]

When should I be able to put her in with the buck and re-breed, or attempt to re-breed?

A rabbit's gestation period is 29-31 days. In all my years with rabbits, I've had 95% of the does kindle 31 or 32 days after being bred. Only occasionally would they go earlier or 24-48 hours later.

You didn't mention how far along in gestation your doe is. However, 10-14 days is the range in which you can successfully palpate by hand. An ultrasound may be able to confirm that she has not conceived even earlier.

If you have confirmed that she is NOT pregnant with your vet, you can rebreed her anytime. Rabbits are induced ovulators. They do not follow a heat cycle.

Thanks Oakridge.

Today would have been Day35. She built up a nest, pulled wool and started lactating on Sunday [Day30] At this time I started checking every 2 hours in the nest box and didn't see any signs that she had kindled, or even kindled and eaten the babies...I mean, there should have been some sign, right? Especially with me checking her every 2 hours.

Yesterday, I palpated and didn't feel anything, so I took her into my vet for him to confirm what I was [wasn't] feeling. He agreed that he didn't feel any kits and suggested an ultrasound which showed no babies.

I attempted to put her with the buck yesterday and it turned into a highschool bathroom girl fight...so I separated them immediately.

Just wondering what could be going on as she was acting pregnant, I've never had a doe lactate and pull wool if they weren't pregnant or it was a false pregnancy, and I was under the impression that a false pregnancy would run it's course in 2-3 weeks past breeding.

I was going to leave it this weekend and try to put them together next week and see if she accepts him then...but I didn't know if I should wait longer and wanted some more opinions....I bred English Angoras for years...and my does were always self-sufficient and on time with their kits...so this whole "no babies" thing is a completely new experience for me.

False pregnancies are common, especially among maiden does that think they have been bred but may not have conceived. It's not unusual for them to pull fur during this time, and they can happen at any time. Sometimes the doe hasn't even been bred, but she will experience a false pregnancy. Other mammals do this too.

If she is still going through the motions of a pregnancy, she may not accept the buck right away. But it's fine to breed her as soon as she is ready.

Latest posts

Back