What's the most expensive rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bojay

Reaction score
I'm just curious how expensive rabbits can get. Which breed is the most expensive, etc.

The most expensive rabbit I've ever seen was a Holland Lop Buck for $125 at a rabbit show. How about you?

The most we've ever paid was $250 for a HollandLop buck. Hollands are generally rather expensive and I'veseen them in the range of $500-$1000. There was a New ZealandWhite that auctioned off for $5000 a few years ago at the Ohio StateConvention.

Pam

Just out of curiosity, are there monetary prizeswhen your rabbit wins in rabbit shows? Do people pay that kind of moneyjust to have a (close to) perfect bunny, or can people make money?

Thanks!

Steph and the unshowable rabbits :p

pamnock wrote:
Themost we've ever paid was $250 for a Holland Lop buck.Hollands are generally rather expensive and I've seen them in the rangeof $500-$1000. There was a New Zealand White that auctionedoff for $5000 a few years ago at the Ohio State Convention.

Pam
YIKES...and I thought the 100 I paid for Fred was alot..... :shock:

jordiwes wrote:
Just out of curiosity, are there monetary prizes when yourrabbit wins in rabbit shows? Do people pay that kind of money just tohave a (close to) perfect bunny, or can people make money?

Thanks!

Steph and the unshowable rabbits :p

Winning is more of a status symbol here in the US -- the money comesfrom the winning breeders selling stock from their herds.Every so often cash prizes are given, but are generally in the $10 forBest of Breed range. I can't recall for certain,but I thought the Checkered Giant club offered a large cash prize for aBest In Show win at an ARBA convention.

We did make $150 in premiums at our fair this year off our winnings :)

Pam

bojay wrote:
I'mjust curious how expensive rabbits can get. Which breed isthe most expensive, etc.
Do you want us to factor in repair and replacement costs for house rabbits?

If that's the case, mine are worth about $3,000, including the electronics, carpeting and woodwork they've destroyed!

Sorry, just being silly. Couldn't resist.

Laura

pamnock wrote:
Themost we've ever paid was $250 for a Holland Lop buck.Hollands are generally rather expensive and I've seen them in the rangeof $500-$1000. There was a New Zealand White that auctionedoff for $5000 a few years ago at the Ohio State Convention.

Pam
WOW They must truely love rabbits to pay that much

Do you attend the ohio shows? I try to go to as many as i can so if you do hopefullyi will see you sometime.

So far, here's what I've gotplanned: I'll be at theAshtabula, OHshow on Oct. 29; Medina, OH the weekend of Nov.5 & 6, Springfield, OH March 26, 2006; Lisbon, OH April 1,2006, might be going to the Ohio State Convention (depends on how Ifeel after Dutch Nationals), Mineral Wells (that might be in WV -- it'snear the OH/WV line somewhere LOL) May 27: Wellington, OH June 3, 2006.

Pam

I've got a New Zealand White I bought for US$1.25 on a pet street in China. What makes Qingqing (cheeng-cheeng)different from Mr. 5,000?

"Doodle", I'm from Arkansas, too! I grew up in Little Rock, taught bandin Clarksville, and my parents now live in Mountain Home. I go home toArkansas every winter during the Chinese New Year school holiday.

Nancy

Hi Nancy :) Yay, it's not often I meet anotherperson from Arkansas on the internet...especially a bunny person.:) I grew up in Russellville (about 20 min. from Clarksville)and am now in the Little Rock area.

I can't imagine what could make a $4998.75 difference between twobunnies. :D Guess it's just the ability to make money throughthose bloodlines. I had no idea until reading this threadthat a rabbit could be worth that much money. But itshouldn't be too surprising. After all, to most of usbunnylovers, the bunnies in our lives that have stolen our hearts arepriceless. :)

I have seen rabbits for sale for several hundreddollars.Usually price is based on pedigree bloodlines and legs.I rarelysee rabbits with multiple legs for sale.Mostly the prices are based onthe breeders reputation,People who frequently win at the national levelget much bigger prices for there rabbits.bluebird

ChinaBun wrote:
What makes Qingqing (cheeng-cheeng)different from Mr. 5,000?

Nancy

The top blood lines in the world, a fantastic animal and a pair of very motivated bidders :)

Compare it to the dog world -- Which animal would demand a higherprice: The mixed breed at the dog pound or the WestminsterBest In Show winner?

Which offspring would sell for more: The puppies from themixed breed at the pound or the puppies from the Westminster Best InShow dog?

A diamond or a piece of coal? The value is in the rarity, supply and demand of a particular object.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
ChinaBun wrote:
What makes Qingqing (cheeng-cheeng)different from Mr. 5,000?

Nancy

The top blood lines in the world, a fantastic animal and a pair of very motivated bidders :)

Compare it to the dog world -- Which animal would demand a higherprice: The mixed breed at the dog pound or the WestminsterBest In Show winner?

Which offspring would sell for more: The puppies from themixed breed at the pound or the puppies from the Westminster Best InShow dog?

A diamond or a piece of coal? The value is in the rarity, supply and demand of a particular object.

Pam
Pam makes a very good point, even the most deeplypedigreed animal is only worth whatsomeone is willing to pay for it .

I for one am willing to pay what ever forthe breed I plan on Breeding . Silver Fox , they are sofew and so line bred, findingone with out the same parentage will makeit much more expensive than one from acloser liniage . If need arises and Ihave to include shipping from anotherCountry or even another State , that in itselfraises the cost of offspring . AsPam said , ****A diamond or a piece of coal? Thevalue is in the rarity, supply and demand of a particular object.****

Pure bred imported rabbits with certs can costup to 800 bucks here. I think the price is high because of theimporting. Others in pet shops range from 40 bucks for cross bredrabbits(mutts) to 300 ++ bucks for lops, rexes etc. However pet shopbunnies here are usually not pure bred. I got Smurfy for 45 and Banditfor 30

pamnock wrote:
Sofar, here's what I've gotplanned: I'll be at theAshtabula, OHshow on Oct. 29; Medina, OH the weekend of Nov.5 & 6, Springfield, OH March 26, 2006; Lisbon, OH April 1,2006, might be going to the Ohio State Convention (depends on how Ifeel after Dutch Nationals), Mineral Wells (that might be in WV -- it'snear the OH/WV line somewhere LOL) May 27: Wellington, OH June 3, 2006.

Pam
Ill deffiently be going to the Ohio State convention. And if i can, tryto make it to the Medina and Wellington shows. Hope to seeyou there :)

I'm not opposed to rabbits costing more,actually. I think it would mean that less people would think of rabbitsas throw away pets. Instead of buying that cute bunny for their 3 yearold's Easter basket...they might remember the 7-9 year commitmentinvolved. :)

Of course thetwist to all of this is, you can pay a tremendous amount for an animal,be it a racehorse, a show dog, or a bunny and get everything you want,but still not be guaranteed personality. Recognizing of course thatmost people who pay that kind of money for animals are looking forqualities other than personality...

In my opinion personality is rather likea flip of the coin. There are many breeds that are more likely to bepersonable, but still no guarantees.

We got Sebastian for free! But we think he's priceless! :)

Raspberry

Latest posts

Back