What's the Difference between these two colors?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OntarioHollands

Reaction score
What's the difference between a Harlequin colored Holland Lop and a Japanese colored Holland Lop?
16.png

I'm getting confused about it because people call some Hollands "Japanese Harlequin". Or some people call a rabbit a "Harlequin" while others call the same color of rabbit a "Japanese" and Visa Versa.
16.png

Harlequin is the checker-board type of coat pattern.

Japanese harlequin refers to a black/orange pattern. Magpie harlequin is a white/gray pattern.

So, harlequin is the name of the coat pattern, and Japanese/magpie refers to the color.

It depends on the pair. I'm honestly not familiar enough with the color to give you much information beyond what I already have. However, there are all kinds of variations of harlequin. They can be black, blue, chocolate or lilac based, for example, which can either intensify or dilute the vibrance of the coat.

Harlequin is a complex colors to work with. It's not just one gene that gives a rabbit that pattern and color. There are a number of genes that have to work together.

It really depends on the rabbits genetics and what colors are in the animals pedigree. Some Japanese harlequins can throw magpies, but in the Harlequin breed some breeders of the Japanese and Magpie varieties don't breed the two colors together. They do this so that their Japanese lines are cleaner, and so that there are less white markings that pop up in litters.

I used to breed and show Harlequins, lovely rabbits.

Latest posts

Back