What's the best type of litter????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Baxter wrote:
You said that walmart sells wood pellets? Whatsection is it in??? I would love to find somethingcheaper. I find the wood shavings (aspen) are toomessy.

Hi Baxter. I am not sure where youlive, but my last bag of woodpellets came from Home Hardware. Ithink it cost meunder$6 for a #40 bag.But it lasts a long time, (3or4 times longer than any otherlitter products) because youdon't need as much.I'll keep an eye out, thenext time I'm atWalmart. I don't recommendbuying from pet shops becausethey overcharge. Ihave Yesterday's News too, but Iam convinced Wood Pellets is the way togo.

There is no mess when I preparethe wood pellets in Pebble's litter box.Check out my thread half way down thepage...http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=9548&forum_id=6&page=4

Rainbows! :D

Pet_Bunny, are they dusty? I'd like to use it asbedding for my guinea pigs. My 50# sacks of paper pulp pellets iscosting me $20 and I go through it too quickly with 5 extremely messyguinea pigs.

The wood stove pellets that I use aren't dusty.You only need a tiny bit of them in a litter box too. When it gets wetwith pee, the pellets turn into a "thick dust" almost (I don't know howto explain it, other than taking a picture), but I don't have anyproblems with the buns kicking it out or tracking it around on theirfeet.

Wouldn't the wood stove pellets be too harsh on piggie feet?

- Amy

I use Critter Care natural bedding. It works GREAT. Her litter wont stink at all. I get it at Walmart.:)

MyBoyHarper wrote:
Pet_Bunny, are they dusty?
It only gets dusty, ifitsits there for a longlongtime anddries out.The screen I use keepsthepellets covered, so Pebbles never getsinto it. Any moisture would fluff it up andexpandsit in size like softdampsawdust.

Rainbows!:)I didn't go to Walmart yet.

I love the idea of the plastic screen on top ofthe litter for easy disposal and longer lasting litter. I endup wasting so much litter because the poops are everywhere, but shepees in just one corner. Where did you get the plastic screen?

minirex4me wrote:
I love the idea of the plastic screen on top of the litterfor easy disposal and longer lasting litter. I end up wastingso much litter because the poops are everywhere, but she pees in justone corner. Where did you get the plastic screen?

The plastic screen that Pet_Bunny used is called "plastic canvas" by me.
I can get it in most arts & craft stores.

I used a plastic grid similar to what is used to cover florescent light fixture in the ceiling.

You can also buy the scatter-less pans... rabbitstop.com sells them

~Jim

Hippity_Hoppity wrote:
anyone use clean n comfy corn cob litter... ?

I think most members steer clear of corn cob litters in concern of their buns eating it..

Corn is not considered a healthy thing for rabbits.

~Jim

minirex4me wrote:
Where did you get the plastic screen?
Welcome to the Forum Minirex4me! :welcome1

The most popular placewould be a Dollar Store. Intheir Arts and Crafts section, youmight find them for 3sheets for a $1. You can trimthem with a pair of scissors tofit the litter box.
My litter lasts and lasts because thepoops don't get mixed into thelitter, and Pebblespees in one cornertoo, so only thatcorner gets scooped out.

Here is what I found at Walmart.

Wood Pellets called SimplicityPine, Natural Pine Cat Litter.A #20 bag costs$9.43 Can.
Simplicity Pine also had a #6bag of grounded down woodpellets in a sawdustform selling for$8.43 Can.
I would stick with the pelletedform (being cheaper and notcompressed). Theirsite is:http://www.normericainc.com/index.php

At Walmart, YesterdaysNews costs$12.67Canfor #26 Bag.
So the best value was HomeHardware, $4.79 Can (found myreceipt) for a #40 Bag of Wood Pellets.

Rainbows! :D

Pet_Bunny wrote:
My litter lasts and lasts because thepoops don't get mixed into thelitter, and Pebblespees in one cornertoo, so only thatcorner gets scooped out.
Pebbles is like the perfect bunnie!!:D

Comparing Pebbles to Binkie....is like comparing ballet to slam-dancing. ;)

For Binkie, the plastic grid works better than the screen.
Binkie would make sure the poops on the screen would be distributed ALLover the bunnie room......no matter how hard she had to work at it.:disgust:

~Jim

JimD wrote:
Pet_Bunny wrote:
Pebbles is like the perfect bunnie!!:D

LOL - I agree. I use your method Pet-Bunny - with the screenand my guys have started peeing all over the litter, not in a corner,so now I have to change the WHOLE pan because they've peed stategicallythroughout the whole thing.

:mad:

JimD wrote:
Binkie would make sure the poops on the screen would bedistributed ALL over the bunnie room......no matter how hard she had towork at it.
Poops do get kicked out, when Pebblesjumps in and out of her litter box.

And Pebbles is not the Perfect Bunnyanymore. Every morning she would alwayspee once outsideher litter box,just in front of the litterbox. Then she would be fineafter that.

What is she trying to tell me?

Rainbows! ;)

I've never heard of "Woody Pet." But I use FreshStep cat litter for Bun-Bun. It's dust free and is not a clay clumpingkind. But Cocoa seems a little sensitive around it so I get him Aspineor Pine Shaving Whith Baking Soda.

Cat litter seems to be more absorbant and covers up the amonia scentvery well, whist Aspine and other types of wood shavings are weak atcovering odors and soil quickly, thus, making about 2-3 changes of thelitter box a week. But cat litter last a week whith out changing,although it's stinky at the bottom when you take out the litter.

I REALLY don't think cat litters are safe for bunnies. Are you talking about the little clay type?

- Amy

Bun~Bun, clay cat litter is notsafe. Even if it's "dust free" it's still dusty enough toharm the respiratory system. And it can be dangerous if theynibble on it, and many rabbits will at least taste their litter.

Wood pellet litters are much healthier. A pet store versionis Feline Pine, although many brands are cheaper at farm or feed stores.

Bun~Bun wrote:
I've never heard of "Woody Pet." But I use Fresh Step catlitter for Bun-Bun. It's dust free and is not a clay clumping kind.

I think Fresh Step makes only the clay or crystal type litters.
Neither are really recommended for use with rabbits.

Woody Pet is similar to Feline Pine.....except it's a lot cheaper.
Depending on where you live there are a lot of wood pellet/crumble products made.

~Jim

Latest posts

Back