What's the best type of litter????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a compressed wood pellet. Thewood has been heat treated to remove harmful phenols, ground down, andthen pressed into pellets. It will expand to about threetimes its size once it absorbs moisture. There is no urinesmell and I just love it.

I've also tried a recycled paper pellets, and they work pretty good too. Probably my second choice.

--Dawn

Emma your almost done with the bag of aspen igave you??lol you clean them like every day!!:Dlol!! your crazy!!!!itslike opps it made a poo now lets change the hole cage!!! even if itsone pooo!!!!!...Just kiddin with ya emma!!!!;)

aspen is definitely a great substrate to use. itdoesnt really matter which type of litter you use as long as its rabbitsafe. so dont use cedar, pine, cat litter, etc. which you probablyalready know. but as long as its rabbit safe, is not perfumed, then itsfine :)

aurora369 wrote:
I use a compressed wood pellet. The wood has beenheat treated to remove harmful phenols, ground down, and then pressedinto pellets. It will expand to about three times its sizeonce it absorbs moisture. There is no urine smell and I justlove it.

--Dawn

:yeahthat

I use Woody Pet....a pelletized wood litter/bedding.
Works better than anything else out there....and I've used them all.
Cheaper than almost every other product, too...including shavings.

JimD wrote:
aurora369 wrote:
I use acompressed wood pellet. The wood has been heat treated toremove harmful phenols, ground down, and then pressed intopellets. It will expand to about three times its size once itabsorbs moisture. There is no urine smell and I just love it.

--Dawn

:yeahthat:yeahthat.. ;)

I use the compressed pellets too. Best litter I've used! Very inexpensive too! :) Dobule thumbs up from me!

Spring wrote:
JimD wrote:
aurora369 wrote:
I use acompressed wood pellet. The wood has been heat treated toremove harmful phenols, ground down, and then pressed intopellets. It will expand to about three times its size once itabsorbs moisture. There is no urine smell and I just love it.

--Dawn

:yeahthat:yeahthat.. ;)

I use the compressed pellets too. Best litter I've used! Very inexpensive too! :) Dobule thumbs up from me!
With all the others. The one I use is called enviro-litter and isactually a kitty litter but it does not smell at all except for alittle wood smell (which is nice). Now if only she would always use thelitter box I wouldn't have to clean her blanket so much.

I too, use wood pellet. I get mine from Walmartin 40 pound bags for $5....in the outdoor garden-like section. I wasusing a smaller pellet kind that they carry, but it smells too weirdfor me, almost like fuel...but it doesn't say on the bag. My boys don'teat it or anything.

I went to walmart to pick up some more the other day, and found a smallpile of the other brand they carry. This brand's pellets are too bigfor most wood stoves....but I like the smell of these a lot better thanthe other brand.

When Walmart doesn't carry the pellets anymore...I will have to go tomy local feed store and get Woody pet for 30 pounds for $6. It's apound less and a dollar more than Walmart wood pellets....but muchcheaper than Yesterday's News!

I have to change two large cat litter boxes everyday because the boys won't use them if they are dirty:rollseyes.

- Amy

I use Yesterday's News. It works wellbut it is really expensive. You said that walmart sells woodpellets? What section is it in??? I would love tofind something cheaper. I find the wood shavings (aspen) aretoo messy.

undergunfire wrote:
... the wood pellets are in the outdoor section ofwalmart....like the gardening type section.

- Amy
I was wondering if the Walmart pellets are wood stove pellets or bedding/litter pellets?

I use wood pellets too. Best stuffI've ever used. IMO wood shavings are messy and don't absorbmuch urine, and also smell of urine easily. You'll have aneasier time cleaning with a pellet litter.

I'm curious about the Walmart wood pellets too. Right now Ihave to drive quite a ways to an out-of-the-way feed store, and Walmartis much more convenient.

They are the wood stove pellets, yes. The brandthat my Walmart carries is "Good Times". It smells just like wood and Ican't smell rabbit pee, AT ALL, not even when I'm a foot from theirlitter box. I also clean atleast two of their boxes (they have four)everyday.

The other brand that my Walmart carries has the name "Fuel" in it. Iforgot what the whole name was. I don't think it had fuel in it though.I used it for about two weeks with out any problems with the buns. Iprefer the "Good Times" though.

I am not sure if your Walmart will carry "Good Times". It's made andpackaged in Texas. I went to buy some when I first got my rabbits andthe lady at Walmart told me not to buy them because the size of thepellet has been clogging people's stoves. I had to tell her that theywere for my bunnies litter boxes. The pellets are a pretty good sizethough, and because they have been clogging people's stoves aroundhere...I doubt they will carry them anymore. When I got my two bagsthey had about 3 bags left. I think my other bigger Walmart still has 7or 8 huge pallet stacks of them outside that I saw from the road....sothose are either the kind I like or the kind I hate.

Beh, but after they stop carrying them because it gets too hot here, Iwill have to go to the feed store and buy Woody Pet, which is a poundless and a dollar more than the wood stove pellets.

- Amy

where do you get it? i need something inexpensive!

All my rabbits are litterbox trained, so I don'tuse bedding per say, but I do use aspen crumble bedding in theirlitterboxes. All their litterboxes have grates over them, so I don'tworry much about messy feet, and I clean their boxes often anyways. Ido find the aspen crumble (not shavings or pellets) adsorbs nicely.

For my guinea pigs, I use some kind of paper pellet bedding that it's agreen bag. Walmart sells it, but I buy mine in huge 50lb sacks from apet store here.

Woody Pet is just one brand. There'sall sorts of brands of wood pellet bedding. You can usuallyfind it in feed/farm stores, tack stores, or in pet stores where it ismore expensive (Feline Pine). Some people use wood stovepellets too, although those can be hard to find in summer and you haveto check to make sure that no chemicals were added.

Back