What's the background behind your bun's name?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Korr: Back when I used to play Neopets, I got one named Korrailli. I liked the name, so gave it to Korr.

Sophie: She was named after the character in the movie The Illusionist.

Penelope: Named after the Great Big Sea song Penelope.

Sean: Named after Sean McCann of Great Big Sea.

Lillian: I like Jim Fidler (singer for Newfoundland). His wife is Lillian. I liked the name for her. There is also a song that I really like of the same name by him.

lovebunnyok wrote:
Tupper Ware was named because our last name is Ware. Also when my husband's mother

was pregnant with him, she used to threaten that she would name my husband Tupper. :p

I liked it, and Tupper is such a cute name, I chose it. :D We would love to get a gray female for him and name her Silver. :laugh:
That's too funny. My parents play jokes like that on my brother and I as well. Our last name is Mark and they tells us all the time that they wanted to name us Birth, Question, or Exclamation.

As for bunny names a friend of mine told me that when I get a rabbit I should name her Sabrina. Well I thought that she was a bit nuts because Sabrina doesn't really seem like a bunny name. But when I went to go pick out which baby I wanted from the litter I saw her and said yep, I'll take her, she looks like a Sabrina. Also it is not short for Sabrina the Teenage Witch, (a lot of people think that) but after the movie Sabrina with Audrey Hepburn and Humphrey Bogart.

My non-bunny animal is Charlie my horse who is also named after a movie...Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

well, I happen to LOVE 'old' people names.

So about a week after getting Winnie, I was still debating on what to name her, and Winnie just kinda stuck. Her full name is Winchesca, but normally I just call her Silly Rabbit. Winnie is also the name of the lady who wrote "wicked!"

then we got Toulouse, and my roommate picked his name after the artist Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, who is most known for his post-impressionistic paintings of can-can dancers and such. Many will remember his character played in Moulin Rouge.

And fallowing the old names/art theme, we named Chaucer after, well, Geoffrey Chaucer who wrote the Canterbury tales.

The next rabbit I get (if female) will fallow the writer theme and be called Louisa (the first name of the lady who wrote little women).

When I first got my buns I didn't want to name them right away because I wanted to make sure we would all get along and see some of their personality.

Sable was named after Old King Hamlet's beard from Shakespeare's Hamlet. She also easily carries a grudge, though I'm sure the ghost had more reason then she does.

Rice.... was very hard. My brother was trying to get me to accept it as Killer Rabbit, from Monty Python, but she does too much running away for that. A co-worker commented on something saying "like white on rice" and it totally struck me as perfect, rice goes with everything after all. She's gotten bigger and kinda chubby so it's more like 'Rice Cake' these days.

Daphne and Willoughby were both just names that I liked and threw at my Bf. Willoughby was going to be Caspian or Wilhelmina or Thomasina (But BF hates both!) and Daphne was Adelaide "Adele" for about half an hour, and before we got her we were so set on Harriet/Henrietta.

My other piggies are: Barnaby and Anouk. Barnaby's name was originally Barney but I liked Barnabas better and called him Barnaby for short.. and my bf Dave liked Barnaby better and changed it. For Anouk he really wanted Seraphine but I knew he would just call her Sera which is boring. So we compromised.

Their full names are: Baraby Alec (originally Alaric but bf changed it!), Anouk Seraphine, Daphne Minerva and Willoughby Percival (Hubert - not really in their but Dave always wanted to call one Hubert so I told him it was Willoughby's 2nd middle name was Hubert! lol).

Im a name nerd so I love names, especially unusual ones! I have named all my instruments too.. lol

i took one look at Howie and said his name was howard, then on the way home he was poking his head out of the box they gave us to take him home in and i said "howie bun,sit back" and the name stuck, his full name is Howard Flufflebuns.eventually he just became Howie Bun and now it's his name, complete with themem song lol:)

Sunshine...she's a black bunny...but she came into my life after i lost my precious heart bunny..Lollipop...Sunshine brought the 'Sunshine' back into my life.

Jack...cause i have always loved the name.

Charlie..i love the name..and i thought she was a boy when she was a baby.

Marley...i was looking on the internet and came across Bob Marley...Marley just caught my eye.

Cassidy...after David Cassidy.

Chocolate Bunny..when she was a baby i would call her my little chocolate drop..as she got older it became Chocolate Bunny.

Zak...i love the name

Josie..as in Josie and the pussycats lol...but i say Josie and the bunny rabbits.

Wally..cause he just looks like a cheeky little Wally

Ebony..it's just a very pretty name...not cause she's a black bunny though

Maggie...we were going through names and Jeremy my son came up with Maggie from the simpsons.

Riley..just like the name.

:D

I should mention that DH originally wanted to name our bun Leviathan after one of his favorite beers. I was kind of down with calling him Levi, but we ended up going with Otto. So now his full name is Otto the Leviathan (or Otto T. Leviathan) :p

Poker got his name because I just liked it :) after I named him I realized it fit so well because he was always poking his nose into everything..
Vegas got the name because it went well with Poker..

Gratie got his name from Grace and Katie from RO :) They were helping me come up with names and one wanted me to name him Katie, and one said Grace--so I combined the names and we all came up with Gratie..The name fits him so well..

Dublin got the name when a few members were chatting about Ireland and they said something about Dublin Ireland, and I loved the sound of it.
Chessy came into my mind when I thought of my foster girl having a dark chestnut color..

Whisper got her name because when my mom bought her for us kids, she didnt want us fighting over her name, so they whispered about her for weeks and weeks and the name Whisper stuck with her..(she is my dog)

I have too many animals with too many names, so there is no way I can name all of them now :)

Eclipse - She got her name from her coat colouring, it kinda reminded me of the colours you can see in a Eclipse.
Blue - My fiancee named him after his coat colour. He was gonna be called fuzzy butt but we went with Blue in the end lol!
Leo - Named after his breed lionhead, as in Leo being associated with the starsign Leo.
Clover - Named after one of the females in Watership down
Fiver - Named after Fiver from Watership down.

Rainbow bridge buns
Smokey - Named after his grey coat colour
Truffle - Named after her coat colour.

The Cats
Max - Named after his pedigree name Sir Maximillian Purz alot
Pepsi - Named kinda after her pedigree name Catapilia Black Pepper but was changed from pepper to Pepsi after it was shortened to Pep which was follwed by the exclamation of what about Pepsi because then we get Pepsi Max lol!
Pan - Came to us as a rescue with this name, we think it suits him, so it's stuck.

Rabbits
Hannah - wanted to name her Daisy and it really didn't fit, she just had too much personality and was very girly, so it ended up being Hannah Belle.
Dutch - was Dutchess originally but I hated it, but nothing else seems to fit her.

Rats
Mawma- kept calling her that at the rescue because she had 6 babies and no name yet.
Venice-Mmawma son, just adore Venice.. So it stuck.
Libra-Mawmas daughter I have no idea how she got it.
Six- also 1 of Mawmas was my sixth rat.. Originally was 16.
Peaches- my fiancé rat.. Named her that after someones hammy.

Mice
Tuna- just fell in love with the name and had it before I got her.
Gemini- named by my cousin after his sign.
Nihla- was originally after Nahla from the lion king but them I thought of Nihla and liked it better.

Dog
Barney- after Barney Rubble. Was originally gunna be dinno.

Cats
JubeJube- was think of JuJubes at the time. At the shelter his name was Butterscotch. I hate that name for cats..
James- was named that at the shelter and it suited him.

Rabbits
Hannah - wanted to name her Daisy and it really didn't fit, she just had too much personality and was very girly, so it ended up being Hannah Belle.
Dutch - was Dutchess originally but I hated it, but nothing else seems to fit her.

Rats
Mawma- kept calling her that at the rescue because she had 6 babies and no name yet.
Venice-Mmawma son, just adore Venice.. So it stuck.
Libra-Mawmas daughter I have no idea how she got it.
Six- also 1 of Mawmas was my sixth rat.. Originally was 16.
Peaches- my fiancé rat.. Named her that after someones hammy.

Mice
Tuna- just fell in love with the name and had it before I got her.
Gemini- named by my cousin after his sign.
Nihla- was originally after Nahla from the lion king but them I thought of Nihla and liked it better.

Dog
Barney- after Barney Rubble. Was originally gunna be dinno.

Cats
JubeJube- was think of JuJubes at the time. At the shelter his name was Butterscotch. I hate that name for cats..
James- was named that at the shelter and it suited him.

Oh I am shameless. Shino is named after Aburame Shino from the anime Naruto. I figured I already have a cat named Temari, and it seemed to fit so perfectly I thought I would try the same thing with the rabbit. Shino just stuck to him!

MikeScone wrote:
Scone MacBunny was named "Scone" because my son said he wanted a Scottish name and was reserving "Haggis" for the sheep he was going to have someday (didn't make sense to me, either).

"MacBunny" just seemed to go with "Scone".

not sure the sheep would like to be named haggis, given that you need his stomach to make one!

Roxy is named after Australian actor Richard Roxburgh. Hartley is technically Hartley The Second and named for Hartley Hare from the kids show Pipkins.

Rabbits

Dewey- She was 1 of 3 Hewey dewey and louie

Black Magic- he was all black and there was just something special about him

Groucho- he had a funny little mustach and he was a grouch

Angel- funny when we first got her she was the sweetest thing for 9 months just a true lover, now shes a meany lol

Gwen- short for gwenivere she just looks like one

maverick- I love the movie top gun and the movie maverick with mel gibson and he is a sneaky guy

dogs

daisy may- my hubby loves the old dukes of hazard show

Duke- hubby got him as a surprise and again dukes of hazard and a duke university fan (of course I am a tar heels fan) RIP

Bo Duke- after duke (we have a theme kinda)

Moose- Hes just a big goofy country bumpkin moose seem to fit

Horse

River- "River Runs Trough It" we live in montana but she runs like a river you would have to see it

Magic-Star: First his name was Freedom, then Velvet Lullaby, but that was before we found out he was indeed a he! :p I named him Magic-Star, because he's black (Black Magic, ya know?) and stars are white, he has a white stripe down his side. Itreally fits him. :)

Savannah: I think we just picked it because she looked like a Savannah!

TahjMahal: Really stuck with trying to pick a name out for this boy. One day at school my art teacher was talking about her old cat, Tosh, and I really liked that, and so I told my sister, but she didn't like it. We ended up settling on Tahj Mahal, because the Tahj Mahal is white, and it just fit him. Tahj is really close to Tosh, so I was happy. haha.

Lily: Didn't name her, but she is just so sweet, so we didn't change it.

Sage: Her pedigree name is Annabelle, but we didn't want to call her that! lol. We just decided on Sage after like a whole day of thinking of names for her.

Chancey: She almost died when she was a baby, but she survived! So hence the name. Very original. lol.

Ray: Was Kalea-Rae when we thought he was a girl, so we just took off Kalea, and changed the e to y! And of course extended it from Ray to Raymond, but we just call him Ray most the time.

The baby bunnies, Veradero, Winchester, and Kailua are all named after beaches or bodies of water. ;)

Emily

hartleybun wrote:
not sure the sheep would like to be named haggis, given that you need his stomach to make one!
Not to mention his lungs, esophagus and liver... that's got to hurt.

I'm not sure "Haggis" isn't a bad name for a rabbit, though... "Haggis MacBunny". Has a certain ring to it, although I think "Hamish" might be even better. Hopefully I won't need to come up with a name for another bunny anytime soon (knock wood) but when I do, one of those names might well appear on this board...

Latest posts

Back