What's the background behind your bun's name?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katmais_mommy

Reaction score
All of my buns are named after places in Alaska. Katmai was named after Katmai National Park. Kodiak was named after Kodiak Island. Dutch was named after Dutch Harbor. :D

Storm was a hurricane Ike rescue Hense the name Storm

Harriet is just noisy harriet the spy.

Boss was named by my sister

And Phoenix is named after the bird new life new start.

Being a "rescue" of sorts, Guswas just Gus.

But my kids were always asking, "What's Gus short for?"

I didn't know. "Maybe Angus or Augustus? Gustavus? OrGustufsen?"

Then, one day, as we were shopping for veggies at the grocery store, my youngest says, "Can bunnies eat Asparagus?"

I didn't know that either (turns out they can),but the thought struck me, "Hey, maybe that's what Gus is short for: Asparagus?"

Anyway, he's been Asparagus Fuzzy Bunny ever since.

Rue

Scone MacBunny was named "Scone" because my son said he wanted a Scottish name and was reserving "Haggis" for the sheep he was going to have someday (didn't make sense to me, either).

"MacBunny" just seemed to go with "Scone".

Dunkin got his name because it looked like someone dunked his feet in a dark color. Amber was already named when I adopted her, but I'm quite positive she got her name from her amber hued coat. :D

Belle- Well she started out as Oliver until i found out that "he" was a she,lol. There is no back ground on her name i just said a bunch of names till one just fit her, and Belle stuck

Benny - he came with his name

Charger- Well he isnt the friendliest bunny and "charges and grunts " at you so when picking out names my son said what about Charger and well it just stuck,lol. I said when he stopped Charging i would change his name, well his name is still Charger,lol.

Brandi- was our first dog and i ALWAYS loved that name for a dog, but the dog had to be a brown color, brown like a golden retriever,lol. She is brown and so it was Brandi,lol

Sam- came with his name

Sylvester- i have always loved the cartoon character Sylvester, so he was my first cat, and he is black and white so that had to be his name.

Simba came with his name

Willow- I love Buffy the Vampire Slayer show that was on and when trying to find a name for her i loved the name Willow so that is what she got named

Rex, my bearded dragon, had to name her a reptiley name,lol, and of course she was a he when i first got her,lol. so Rex just fit and by the time i found out she was a girl i didnt want to change it,lol

I love people names for pets, especially slightly unusual or uncommon people names. We picked Otto because it was a cute name, but I think my husband subconsciouly liked it because it is the name of the Syracuse mascot (Otto the Orange) which I didn't even realize until a year after we got Otto. I knewthe mascotwas a big orange ball thing, but I didn't realize he was actually named Otto.

My recent gerbils have been Somerset (Summer), Rowan, Oliver, Sebastian, Rory, Daphne, and Emma. Somerset was after a favorite author, W Somerset Maugham, so it's kind of a person name, kind of not.

We're looking to get a female bun soon and I'm tossing around Amelia, Penny, Pearl, Vivian, and Hannah (among others).

Solara was named after the character that Mila Kunis plays in the movie "The Book of Eli". (picture below XD)

eli-kunis-one-shot-300.jpg

I loveddd the movie, and fell in love with the name as soon as I heard it, though I had originally thought it was spelled "Sahlara" cause thats what it sounds like.

(I really recommend the movie by the way :)

Click here for the movie's website =D)

She was originially named Sarah, and not that I have anything against the name, I just didn't want to keep the name. I wanted her to have something more unique.

I wasn't going to name her Solara to begin with because it's three syllables long, but it stuck.

I call her "Baby" a lot x) cause she IS my baby!

Cinnamon got named (oh so originally) because of her colouring and cinnamon is my favorite scent/spice.

Romeo came with his name but we kept it as it's been so apt for him... he is a sweetheart and their bonding has been insanely easy (Cinnamon meet Romeo, Romeo meet Cinnamon. Done.)

Non-bunnies...
Sierra (dog) picked her name out, I couldn't think of anything to suit her until Sierra popped out of my mouth and she perked her ears. Odd as I don't particularly like the name, it's soooo common in the breed! However when we moved to Aus, it's far less common.

Hope (dog) came with her name.

Jasper (kitty) was named for the gemstone given his colour

All my sheep have names as well... they are coloured Corriedale sheep, mostly moorit (chocolate) colour with a few blacks. The original choc sheep get chocolate names and the black ones coffee names - Cadburry, Mocca-chocca, Latte, Verona, Cino, Macci (Macciato) etc and the younger ones got star names: Star, Astra, Stella and Luna.

My ducks have names as well - Matilda (RIP), Magnolia, Tide, Honey, Lovely and Minuette. The M names chose by me as they are Muscovy ducks and the others chose by my 4 year old.

I looooove the swamps and bayous of the south. I was originally going to name him Kudzu (a type of vine that grows on EVERYTHING in Mississippi) but I decided against it. I liked Bayou better. One day I hope to get him a friend and name her Delta. :)

Tupper Ware was named because our last name is Ware. Also when my husband's mother

was pregnant with him, she used to threaten that she would name my husband Tupper. :p

I liked it, and Tupper is such a cute name, I chose it. :D We would love to get a gray female for him and name her Silver. :laugh:

we steal our names from books, movies and TV. Commander Bun-Bun came from a Drew Carey episode. Hutch from Wallace and Grommet--Were-Rabbit. Bunnicula from the book, "The Celery Stalks at Midnight. Peter from Beatrice Potter books. The rest came to us with names already in place even though all our rabbits are rescues.

Wendy is named after my mom's sister. I'm not really sure why; my mom just said she wanted to name her after her sister.

Brindam... I don't really remember. It had something to do with the fact that when she was a baby and her adult coat was coming in, she looked brindle because she was this sort of stripey cream and brown color. But I don't know how it became Brindam... it was a long time ago.

Mine are both named after Firefly characters. Jayne is the mercenary character, and my favorite. I thought about Mal, but Mal is too serious. Jayne is more playful, though it may be psychotic. And both make me laugh.

I would have named my female 'Zoe', but Zoe is too serious and assertive, where Kaylee is a little more carefree, yet cautious. So I chose Kaylee, from Kaywinnet Lee Fry, since the female is pretty much the same.

They fit at least for me.

When we were getting ready for Mr. Whisker's arrival, I had a list of names to name him! My boyfriend didn't like any of the names on my list and wanted to name him something completely different. So the day came to get our bunny and we still didn't have a name! We got him and drove back home and were still in a debate about what to name him, then all of a sudden i said "Mr. Whiskers!" (like the cartoon that use to play on Disney Channel) and my boyfriend agreed to that name. Turns out it was a perfect name for him because he likes to give me Whisker kisses. :) My boyfriend wants to name the girl we are getting him "brandy" so it would be "Brandy and Mr. Whiskers"...even tho on the show Brandy is a dog, but I know a few brandy's personally and i just don't like naming my animals after people i know. haha

lovebunnyok wrote:
Tupper Ware was named because our last name is Ware. Also when my husband's mother

was pregnant with him, she used to threaten that she would name my husband Tupper. :p

I liked it, and Tupper is such a cute name, I chose it. :D We would love to get a gray female for him and name her Silver. :laugh:
:laugh:

Kirby was named after a Nintendo video game character who likes to say nonsensical stuff like "hiiiiiiii". When I first got Kirby, his name was Luca at the rescue and all I could do was say hi to him and marvel at him. So I named him Kirby, which seemed to have a nice ring to it. He's playful and bouncing, just like Kirby the game character. Here's Kirby and Kirby together.

P1010694.jpg

Toby got his name because my husband and I both wanted to keep the "-by" part of the name. Toby was the only thing we came up with that we both liked.

Walter is named after my moms favorite actor in the grumpy old men and after my grandma(R.I.P) Husband walter(R.I.P)

Toby keith is named after the famous and awesome toby keith

Latest posts

Back