What's Normal Vs. Excessive Gas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
If you hear a rabbit's gut popping/gurgling from several feet away, but the bun doesn't seem distressed, is it okay to assume that the situation isn't an issue?Is the rule of thumb that gas is only a problem if it seems to be distressing to the bun (e.g., causing repeated repositioning on the floor, sitting in a hunched up position, etc.)?

Right now, my new guy still has some mushy poops, and I can hear gas popping in him from a few feet away at times. And I can feel the gas bubbles in him when I massage his tummy. Yet he seems to be acting rather normally (eating/drinking, sleeping, grooming, etc.).

Thank you,

Jenk

Hi Jenk,

after GI upset of some sort I always hear the gurgling. It doesn't seem to bother them at all, and I think it is not bad. On the contrary, I think the noise is a good sign things are moving.

Accompanied by mushy poop, I would assume some kind of intestinal imbalance that could simply be caused by the introduction of new food/more of it, or stress. Even the same veggie, but from a different place can do this I have found (organic vs not organic etc) but even then I wouldn't worry as long as he is eating and behaving normally otherwise. Your new bun sounds healthy, maybe just has a bit of stress and slight diet change but I bet he will be back to regular very soon. Also if he doesn't like to be handled the massaging of tummy might be stressing him out.

dquesnel wrote:
Accompanied by mushy poop, I would assume some kind of intestinal imbalance that could simply be caused by the introduction of new food/more of it, or stress.
I attribute it to stress, at this point. He was found as a stray; spent about five weeks' at the shelter; and was neutered five days prior to coming home with me.
...I wouldn't worry as long as he is eating and behaving normally otherwise. Your new bun sounds healthy, maybe just has a bit of stress and slight diet change but I bet he will be back to regular very soon. Also if he doesn't like to be handled the massaging of tummy might be stressing him out.
If he dislikes the tummy massage, he hasn't indicated it yet.I've kept them brief and light to avoid stressing him further. But he's a polite guy; maybe he just hasn't the heart to tell me. ;) I'llhold off onthe gentle tummy massagesfor now and keep observing his appetite/thirst and general behavior.

Yup, I think that would do it! I bet he looks forward to his chance to finally settle down, good for you for taking him in.

Jenk wrote:
I attribute it to stress, at this point. He was found as a stray; spent about five weeks' at the shelter; and was neutered five days prior to coming home with me.

How's he doing now?

I had a negative episode happen with mine with this "noise" being gas, and my vet wasnt' even concerned with it, saying it was a good thing.:? (I don't want to alarm you, cuz this was a totally different issue, heart failure and I believe a result/side effectof the meds.)

Wishing you best of luck, keep us posted!;)

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
How's he doing now?

I had a negative episode happen with mine with this "noise" being gas, and my vet wasnt' even concerned with it, saying it was a good thing.:? (I don't want to alarm you, cuz this was a totally different issue, heart failure and I believe a result/side effectof the meds.)
At times, I can still hear some loud gurgling; but he's only on day four with us. I figure that he could stand to have a little more time to adjust to the newness of everything.

I'm still iffy as to when I ought slowly re-introduce greens to him. With his tummy gurgling, I don't want to push things. But he was eating greens with no problem during his five-week shelter stay. :?

Jenk wrote:
AngelnSnuffy wrote:
How's he doing now?

At times, I can still hear some loud gurgling; but he's only on day four with us. I figure that he could stand to have a little more time to adjust to the newness of everything.

I'm still iffy as to when I ought slowly re-introduce greens to him. With his tummy gurgling, I don't want to push things. But he was eating greens with no problem during his five-week shelter stay. :?

Glad to hear he's ok. I wouldn't worry about greens at this point, they can get by fine without them. Hay and water are the best things. As long as he's eating his pellets too, but, hay and water are most important.:) Have you given any gas meds? Simethicone (human baby gas meds)? I would totally give that to ease the pain. Read the box, but I believe 2ccs is good for starters, then continue this amount every 3-4 hours. Don't worry, this med won't hurt at all, even if it isn't gas.

Maybe he shouldn't have had the greens at the shelter, that might have helped to cause the problem, he was stressed being at it was, and if he wasn't already used to what they fed...:?

I sure hope this gurgling stops soon. Do the gas meds, see the thread on it in the library, if you have trouble finding it, let us know. That's what I'd do for now. Is he drinking water well enough?

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
I wouldn't worry about greens at this point, they can get by fine without them. Hay and water are the best things. As long as he's eating his pellets too, but, hay and water are most important.:)
I figure that he can eat hay and pellets (and, of course, drink plenty of water) for at least a week or two. He's been through much change. I don't know from where he came, but he was found outside as a stray; then he was housed at the shelter for just over a month; now he's in my home. Poor guy needs some stability! :)
Have you given any gas meds? Simethicone (human baby gas meds)? I would totally give that to ease the pain. Read the box, but I believe 2ccs is good for starters, then continue this amount every 3-4 hours. Don't worry, this med won't hurt at all, even if it isn't gas.
Honestly, I have not. I've tried, but he jumped away from me like it was poison. And considering the facts that he's alreadystressing from adjustmentto a new home and isn't showing classicalgas symptoms (i.e.,indicatingpain), I've let it go for now.

He seems to have improved over the pastfew days and is now getting more attached to me. If his tummy gurgling continues, I may have an easier time giving him Simethicone, assuming that he does trust me more now.
Maybe he shouldn't have had the greens at the shelter, that might have helped to cause the problem, he was stressed being at it was, and if he wasn't already used to what they fed...:?
His "shelter poops" looked normal;I was told that he didn't have any adverse reactions to greens while there. So either the greens and stress, or stress alone, gave him mushy poops once he arrived home with me. Either way, I'm giving his gut a little rest and respite. :D
Is he drinking water well enough?
He seems to be. He has a large, hooded crock that holds a good amount of water, which he's been slurping down pretty well.

Jenk wrote:
AngelnSnuffy wrote:
I wouldn't worry about greens at this point, they can get by fine without them. Hay and water are the best things. As long as he's eating his pellets too, but, hay and water are most important.:)
I figure that he can eat hay and pellets (and, of course, drink plenty of water) for at least a week or two. He's been through much change. I don't know from where he came, but he was found outside as a stray; then he was housed at the shelter for just over a month; now he's in my home. Poor guy needs some stability! :)
Have you given any gas meds? Simethicone (human baby gas meds)? I would totally give that to ease the pain. Read the box, but I believe 2ccs is good for starters, then continue this amount every 3-4 hours. Don't worry, this med won't hurt at all, even if it isn't gas.
Honestly, I have not. I've tried, but he jumped away from me like it was poison. And considering the facts that he's alreadystressing from adjustmentto a new home and isn't showing classicalgas symptoms (i.e.,indicatingpain), I've let it go for now.

He seems to have improved over the pastfew days and is now getting more attached to me. If his tummy gurgling continues, I may have an easier time giving him Simethicone, assuming that he does trust me more now.
His "shelter poops" looked normal;I was told that he didn't have any adverse reactions to greens while there. So either the greens and stress, or stress alone, gave him mushy poops once he arrived home with me. Either way, I'm giving his gut a little rest and respite. :D
Is he drinking water well enough?
He seems to be. He has a large, hooded crock that holds a good amount of water, which he's been slurping down pretty well.

Sounds good! How often are you hearing the gurgling? Hopefully, it's lessening.

Keep us posted on how he's doing!:)

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Sounds good! How is the gurgling? I hope it's lessening.

Keep us posted.:)
It does seem to be lessening; I've not heard any major gut (popping/gurgling) noises from his gut while my head is several feet away from him. He's still active, appears comfy and eats/drinks well; soI've not syringe-fed him Simethicone.

Here's a shocker: He doesn't like Simethicone--or Bene-Bac gel. My girls, on the other hand, love both and willingly accept them as if they're treats.

Jenk wrote:
AngelnSnuffy wrote:
Sounds good! How is the gurgling? I hope it's lessening.

Keep us posted.:)
It does seem to be lessening; I've not heard any major gut (popping/gurgling) noises from his gut while my head is several feet away from him. He's still active, appears comfy and eats/drinks well; soI've not syringe-fed him Simethicone.

Here's a shocker: He doesn't like Simethicone--or Bene-Bac gel. My girls, on the other hand, love both and willingly accept them as if they're treats.

Great to hear! Yeah, all buns don't like to be force fed, but unfortunately, we need to find a way if their lives are in danger.:? That's why some of us will practice this with water just to get our buns used to it, in case of emergencies like these.;)

That's funny that the girls don't mind it, haha.:)

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
...Some of us will practice this with water just to get our buns used to it, in case of emergencies like these.;)
Now that is a great idea! Starting tomorrow, I'll offer him extra sweet talk and a little water from a syringe.

Duringmy few feable attempts to offer him Simethicone, he'd pull back his face and jump backwards to get away from it. I didn't have my hubby help restrain him for the administration of the drug due to the fact that he's not showing any classic signs of gas pain/discomfort. But you're right: I need to get him a bit more comfy with syringes.
If you find that funny, then you'll like this tid-bit, too: When I'm ready to give Zoe medication, I call out, "Zoe, druggies!" And she comes runnin'. With Emma, I say, "Emma, goodies." She, too, comes a-runnin'. Cracks me up every time.

:biggrin2:

Jenk wrote:
AngelnSnuffy wrote:
...Some of us will practice this with water just to get our buns used to it, in case of emergencies like these.;)
Now that is a great idea! Starting tomorrow, I'll offer him extra sweet talk and a little water from a syringe.

Duringmy few feable attempts to offer him Simethicone, he'd pull back his face and jump backwards to get away from it. I didn't have my hubby help restrain him for the administration of the drug due to the fact that he's not showing any classic signs of gas pain/discomfort. But you're right: I need to get him a bit more comfy with syringes.
I'm so glad I remembered to mention that! It should be a good thing for you guys!:D
If you find that funny, then you'll like this tid-bit, too: When I'm ready to give Zoe medication, I call out, "Zoe, druggies!" And she comes runnin'. With Emma, I say, "Emma, goodies." She, too, a-runnin'. Cracks me up every time.

:biggrin2:
Now, that is too cute and funny!:) I'd love to see that, lol!:D

Latest posts

Back