What's my next step?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angoragrl

Reaction score
Henri and Acorn were together almost all weekend. I have figured out that I just have to chill out when I first put them together. Everytime they meet eachother again, there is a lot of mounting at first and I used to worry about that. I have come to realize though that this is just going to happen for the first twenty minutes or so that they are together.

Acorn jumped up into Henri's cage yesterday and I was worried about what would happen at first. Henri didn't seem to care at all really though and hopped up to join him. He even took him on a tour!! I swear, it was the cutest thing ever. Henri jumped up to his higher levels and each time he would look down at Acorn like "you coming or what?" and then Acorn would join him. Acorn reciprocated and tried to take Henri on the grand tour of the basement but Henri is kind of scared of the stairs I think and only got about half the way down them before coming back up.

So what do I do from here? Would this be the time to move Acorn's cage upstairs by Henri's so that they can always see eachother. Then their out of cage time would be completely shared (which it pretty much was this weekend anyway). I almost let Acorn sleep in Henri's cage last night but I didn't want to push it and I didn't feel like sleeping on the couch. Is it really even possible that I am having this much luck with two UNneutered boys?

This really sounds great! Henri really truly is I think the most laid back bunny EVER!! :shock:

I would say bring Acorn's cage and place it near Henri's. I wouldn't take my chances just yet with letting them sleep together. Do they eat together? How long are they out together?

Thumper and Peaches' cages were about 2 inches away from each other when they were bonding. When I felt that they bonded, they had spent about 15 hrs together and I slept on the floor for three day to make sure that everything was ok. :D

As for the mounting, Thumper is a master mounter! He didn't do this however when they were bonding...maybe just the first day. He stopped for about 5 weeks and when they bonded, he became a humping machine! :shock:I let him do it fora while since I know this is how they establish dominance, but my poor girl...I felt bad and started taking him off. Then, I felt, she would handle it. It has since almost completely stopped.

Good luck and ummm...when you can a chance, can we get more pics of your cuties??? :biggrin2:

*jackie

Thumpers_Mom wrote:
This really sounds great! Henri really truly is I think the most laid back bunny EVER!! :shock:

I would say bring Acorn's cage and place it near Henri's. I wouldn't take my chances just yet with letting them sleep together. Do they eat together? How long are they out together?

Thumper and Peaches' cages were about 2 inches away from each other when they were bonding. When I felt that they bonded, they had spent about 15 hrs together and I slept on the floor for three day to make sure that everything was ok. :D

As for the mounting, Thumper is a master mounter! He didn't do this however when they were bonding...maybe just the first day. He stopped for about 5 weeks and when they bonded, he became a humping machine! :shock:I let him do it fora while since I know this is how they establish dominance, but my poor girl...I felt bad and started taking him off. Then, I felt, she would handle it. It has since almost completely stopped.

Good luck and ummm...when you can a chance, can we get more pics of your cuties??? :biggrin2:

*jackie

This weekend I had them out together the entire time unless I was sleeping. I fed them both their pellets in their seperate cages because it made it easier for me to measure it out for them but then they had a bunch of hay in the litter box and when I gave them their veggies, they even ate off the same plate. (I tried to give them two, but they wanted to shareI guess). So I would say overall this weekend (monday included bc I played hooky from work) they were probably out about 36-40 hours together.

I think I will move Acorn's cage upstairs tonight. That will make it easier for me to let them out at the same time and everything.

As far as the humping goes, in my circumstances I am willing to bet it won't quit until they are both neutered.

I will get more pictures soon. I had left my camera over at my mother's house over the holiday and I just got it back yesterday.

Wow! You are really lucky!!! That is just phenominal!

When are they going in for their neuters? How is your foot doing?

I think things are going unbelievably well. I would just continue doing what you are doing and put the cages near each other.

You will get the vibe when you feel it is right and they have bonded. Since you had such great success this past weekend with them, I would probably attempt the overnight but I'd do it on the weekend so that you can dedicate time to this change for them.

Will you be building out a new cage for the two of them or do you have one that would already accomodate the two? Thumper and Peaches would spend time in each others cage but at one point did NOT like it. I found that building a new cage for the two of them stopped them from being protective of their home.

I need to call and set up their appointment like now but I keep forgetting to do it. I have the number of the vet at home so I need to call as soon as I get off today. I was originally only planning on having one bunny to neuter so I am not quite sure that I have enough extra cash set up to pay for both of them like tomorrow but I am not far off so I should be getting them done before the end of this month. *crosses fingers*.

I think I am going to build a new cage for them. I will probably canabalize Henri's cage in order to do it but I was planning on reconfiguring it anyway. I've learned recently that Acorn can jump over just about anything (seriously, I saw him jump over two NIC panels and he didn't even hit the top!) so I will definately have to put a top on their enclosure. I haven't really figured out what the best set up would be for the new cage yet.

Oh yeah, and my foot is doing fine. It is still sore but I just have a little boot on it now so I don't have any trouble getting around.

Latest posts

Back