what

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit of rolled oats is a major treat for myrabbit. If I am working with him on something like coming tohis name or whatever, I give him one or two little pieces for eachthing he does right.

Every morning he gets a fruit piece for breakfast. Usuallyit's papaya or pineapple to help in digestion. Sometimesbanana, cranberryor apple also.

I should really use these as a treat for good behavior, but i got himstarted on the "time for brekfuss" thing and he sits and waits nowLOL!

If he's done something especially good, I will use a small bite offruit for a treat as well. I like treats to be used fortraining.... it's a great incentive.

I forget to use Cheerios! I need to dothat more. One of those would be a great reinforcement ofgood behavior.

Bo thinks his veggies are treats also! It's funny cause hegets a noon veggie (a small amount of romaine lettuce usually) and hemisses it if I forget. Then at night he gets his salad......mixture of a couple things.... and he's all excited about it :)

how do you train them to come to their name or even to recognize it?
Chernish does not know his name and I would really like to teach him.

I sit on the floor every morning with them andhave my bowl of cereal, and they know this routine and wait patientlyfor their shredded wheat or a kamut flake to come their way. If I taketoo long in getting some to them, I have two bunnies coming at me fromeither side-poking into my cereal bowl...

As for other treats (ie~coming when I call them, going home when I say"bedtime" or out of cage litter box usage) I use craisins, yogurt dropsor a peice of puffed popcorn-(after I eat the crunchy bits off thesides-they just get the white middle)

This is how I trained Jaden to come when called, whenever she did comeshe would be rewarded with a tidbit. Remember when you were a kid andyour parents told you raisins in the little red boxes were candy? (wasI the only misguided child here? LOL) well, its pretty much the samepsychology with my girls, they THINK its a treat but really most of itis good for them IN MODERATION!

Cher

I taught my rabbits their names just by callingthem by it and petting them. Also, a raisin always helps. They come tome, but not when I say "come" or anything like that, and Iadmit, they are only looking for food for the most part. Littlepiggies. I don't give them a ton of treats, but like Bo said, even aveggie is a treat to them.

I think rabbits think mostly with their tummies sometimes.

The use of food seems to work with Bo.He's very fond of his rolled oats, his cheerios, his cranberries andmost of all banana! (of course he hated it the first timearound :?) I use the cranberries and oats most of the timebecause they aren't horrible for them, just fattening. Oatsare the best because they are so small yet so YUMMY!

I just simply call him the SAME way each time. I made themistake of baby-talking the first times he came to me (I wasn't workingwith him, he just came to me) so that's how I have to call him eachtime.... it can be quite embarassing! :?

I suggest saying in a nice sweet voice, their name and come to mom, or come to me.

I have to go through the ritual of ...... "Boooo Beeee, Tum to Mommy!" and he does.

Don't ask where the "B" came from in Bo's name..... it just sorta happened. :p

LoL. Sometimes I buy those treats in boxes atpetco. Emmy surely loves those! But I heard that raisins and carrotsare a good treat for rabbits. Emmy really considers those! :D

Since I would get a big frown:Xfromeveryone if I listed everything my buns get for treats I will just saythat I go with the rolled oats for a morning treat and a small saladevery other day. Tony has a habit of feeding Fergi cereal, Reese'sPuffs, fruit loops, all those good sugary ones. Had a little talk withhim about it and he has cut down drastically thankfully!

Fergi's mom

It's so hard not to kill your creature with kindness!

I've been told to give Bo a certain amount ofgreens every day by his vet and the House Rabbit Society'srecommendations.

He's under 6 pounds so it's about a cup a day. It doesn'thurt him cause there aren't many calories in the greens I give him(romaine, cilantro, etc.) but I do watch the calcium content becausethey find that it's hard on their kidneys. Also, they need anamount of Vit. A each day.

Hmmm I dont give Stitch vegies or fruit yet she is only 4 months well almost 5 now.

I give her cheerios in moderation but to get her to come to me LOL Iget on the floor on all fours put my head down to her lvl and sayc'mere Stitchy and pat on the carpet and make kissy noises and shecomes and gives me a smooch then puts her head down for petting.

She wont come to me for food isn't that wierd? Well not yet but she'sstill young Im gonna take a guess at she will train me to do that at alater age.

Marie

I didn't give bo any treats or veggies until hewas 5 mos old. Except I did give him some rolled oats becausehe was having loose stools when I first got him.... Coulda been that Ididn't get him hay for the first week.... Who knew bunnies neededhay? :shock:

Anyhow, I have started with fruits and veggies in the pastmonth. Let's just say Bo's pretty happy to do anything if itinvolves a banana or oats.

Latest posts

Back