What ya think of my new lionhead?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
Since Lionheads are still in development and can be found in many shapes, sizes, colors, etc., I would suggest researching a little more into the breed before you choose show stock.
Misty - I'm going to say some things here that I know will probably sound wrong or mean of me (not about you). But I bred lionheads for 3 years and I've "been around" and have met a large number of the breeders and I've heard them talk and I know what they can be like. So I'm saying what I'm about to say - because I care about you. Ok?

Lionhead breeders can be nice - but a large number of the ones who are "out there" showing, etc. - can also be very mean. They may smile to your face - but behind your back they are making fun of your stock and sometimes they will not hesitate to tell others, "You don't want to buy from so and so because she doesn't know what she's doing".

I'm not saying that ALL lionhead breeders are like that - many are nice and helpful - but a lot of them can be cruel. All it takes is showing one "not so great" rabbit - and having the wrong person noticing it - and gossip can/will spread like wildfire.

I don't know about other breeds as I haven't experienced that with other breeds - but many of the breeders I've heard talk - can be that way.

I know that lionheads aren't yet an accepted breed - but it is still important to breed to the standard. And the standard calls for a SHORT-BODIED rabbit.

Let me give you an example. Look at a picture of a holland lop - and then look at a flemish or Californian. Notice how the holland lop sits upright - with a curve to its back (not a curve...but it isn't straight either). Now look at the flemish or Californian...see how it is LONG and it lays out on the table? It doesn't really sit upright - but instead lays down?

The lionheads I think I've seen you have (it seemed like you had others) - are long in body. They tend to lay out more like the flemish. A short-bodied rabbit will naturally sit in the posed position because it feels most comfortable to them.

Here's one way I've explained it before...but its been a while.

Hold your hand out in front of you. Look at your thumb, your middle finger and your pinkie finger.

See how your pinkie finger is shorter than your middle finger? That's great - but your pinkie finger is probably narrower than your middle finger.

Now look at your thumb. It too is shorter than your middle finger - but it is wider than your pinkie.

You want to find the short-bodied rabbits that have bigger/wider bones (too often I see lionheads with fine very fine bone - which you can tell by looking at the size and shape of the feet).

My concern is - you will take your rabbits to a show somewhere to be judged..and your name will get spread around as someone who doesn't know what they're doing. I don't want to see you get hurt.

My best suggestion is to visit lionhead breeders' websites - study their rabbits and notice how their bodies are shaped. One of my favorite breeders with good prices is legendaryminis.com - they show on their pages what awards their rabbits have won. Look at the ones that have won awards and study their body type.

Then visit other lionhead breeders' pages and study their body types.

I did this between my first and second shows because someone took me under their wing and taught me this by having me go to webpages and talking to me about what I was seeing. From then on - every rabbit but one - always got the comment "good type", "very good type" or "excellent type".

Type is very important because you can bring the mane into your breeding if you have good typed rabbits but you HAVE to get that type (short wide body) down first.

Once again - I don't mean to hurt you. But I would rather share this with you (and let others read it and learn) than to see you get hurt.

As much as I love lionheads - I don't know that I will ever get into them again. If I do - I will probably start with a trio from Legendary Minis or Castle Gate Lionheads. I'm sharing these two not to sell for them - but to suggest you study their stock.

I agree with Peg and Julie :) So try to do some more research about them before you get anymore. You can try to start over. Sometimes you just have to, as much as it sucks. lol So sell what won't work to improve your herd (keep a few sweet pets, I'm guilty of it too. lol Just don't keep to many!!!) Then seriously, if you need help, we have to get to another show together! Me and Christine will help you find the good stuff! Or she might even have something for sale to get you on the right track.

Why do you have to be so far away??? lol I think I need to move. ;) Gaylord is to far from everything... gaaahhh. In like two years, if I go to Baker College, I might just stay in Cadillac. XD It will cut a good hour and a half off of the usual time it takes to get to shows. lol

TinysMom wrote:
OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
Since Lionheads are still in development and can be found in many shapes, sizes, colors, etc., I would suggest researching a little more into the breed before you choose show stock.
Misty - I'm going to say some things here that I know will probably sound wrong or mean of me (not about you). But I bred lionheads for 3 years and I've "been around" and have met a large number of the breeders and I've heard them talk and I know what they can be like. So I'm saying what I'm about to say - because I care about you. Ok?

Lionhead breeders can be nice - but a large number of the ones who are "out there" showing, etc. - can also be very mean. They may smile to your face - but behind your back they are making fun of your stock and sometimes they will not hesitate to tell others, "You don't want to buy from so and so because she doesn't know what she's doing".

I'm not saying that ALL lionhead breeders are like that - many are nice and helpful - but a lot of them can be cruel. All it takes is showing one "not so great" rabbit - and having the wrong person noticing it - and gossip can/will spread like wildfire.

I don't know about other breeds as I haven't experienced that with other breeds - but many of the breeders I've heard talk - can be that way.

I know that lionheads aren't yet an accepted breed - but it is still important to breed to the standard. And the standard calls for a SHORT-BODIED rabbit.

Let me give you an example. Look at a picture of a holland lop - and then look at a flemish or Californian. Notice how the holland lop sits upright - with a curve to its back (not a curve...but it isn't straight either). Now look at the flemish or Californian...see how it is LONG and it lays out on the table? It doesn't really sit upright - but instead lays down?

The lionheads I think I've seen you have (it seemed like you had others) - are long in body. They tend to lay out more like the flemish. A short-bodied rabbit will naturally sit in the posed position because it feels most comfortable to them.

Here's one way I've explained it before...but its been a while.

Hold your hand out in front of you. Look at your thumb, your middle finger and your pinkie finger.

See how your pinkie finger is shorter than your middle finger? That's great - but your pinkie finger is probably narrower than your middle finger.

Now look at your thumb. It too is shorter than your middle finger - but it is wider than your pinkie.

You want to find the short-bodied rabbits that have bigger/wider bones (too often I see lionheads with fine very fine bone - which you can tell by looking at the size and shape of the feet).

My concern is - you will take your rabbits to a show somewhere to be judged..and your name will get spread around as someone who doesn't know what they're doing. I don't want to see you get hurt.

My best suggestion is to visit lionhead breeders' websites - study their rabbits and notice how their bodies are shaped. One of my favorite breeders with good prices is legendaryminis.com - they show on their pages what awards their rabbits have won. Look at the ones that have won awards and study their body type.

Then visit other lionhead breeders' pages and study their body types.

I did this between my first and second shows because someone took me under their wing and taught me this by having me go to webpages and talking to me about what I was seeing. From then on - every rabbit but one - always got the comment "good type", "very good type" or "excellent type".

Type is very important because you can bring the mane into your breeding if you have good typed rabbits but you HAVE to get that type (short wide body) down first.

Once again - I don't mean to hurt you. But I would rather share this with you (and let others read it and learn) than to see you get hurt.

As much as I love lionheads - I don't know that I will ever get into them again. If I do - I will probably start with a trio from Legendary Minis or Castle Gate Lionheads. I'm sharing these two not to sell for them - but to suggest you study their stock.
I thank you for this.. I like you too! :biggrin:

This does help me and yes. I have to agree with you about other breeders.. I wanted to get into the LionHeads and Jesery Woolies. But my aunt wouldnt let me do that.. She believes that keeping the non showable bunnies are the best and can get better showable babies out of them. I have tired and tired to tell her that I am sick of all these non showable and non breedable bunnies that I have.. But No shes keep sticking me with more non showable bunnies example the dutch.. I really wanted just the Lionheads but she kept telling me that they arent ARBA and never will be so why start them out. But No She had to breed my Wooly doe with my lionhead buck that is worthless. He haves wool on hes ears and doesnt have a mane. So with this newest litter that I have. It looks like the babies will have a mane. But she sure wants me too breed my doe back with the daddy. I havent done it yet. But I dont think I want too. She said to do it so I can get another haralquin baby. But I love the color.
But I also been talking to Weber's Rabbitry on email about Lionheads.. because this is my first time breeding and showing the lionheads. And I love the breed. She haves been giving me the info and I love it... And I thank you again. I dont mind you guys giving me this info..

Thank you again!

wooly_queen wrote:
I agree with Peg and Julie :) So try to do some more research about them before you get anymore. You can try to start over. Sometimes you just have to, as much as it sucks. lol So sell what won't work to improve your herd (keep a few sweet pets, I'm guilty of it too. lol Just don't keep to many!!!) Then seriously, if you need help, we have to get to another show together! Me and Christine will help you find the good stuff! Or she might even have something for sale to get you on the right track.

Why do you have to be so far away??? lol I think I need to move. ;) Gaylord is to far from everything... gaaahhh. In like two years, if I go to Baker College, I might just stay in Cadillac. XD It will cut a good hour and a half off of the usual time it takes to get to shows. lol
I was talking to my aunt about going to a show with ya again. But she seems No. Because she knows that I like the lionheads and I want to get another Wooly Buck but she doesnt want me to get in those breeds just the breeds that she haves. And we do not want that.. I like the breeds that I have kinda. Just like my hubby says. I should choose the breeds that I want and not the breeds that she wants me to get into... GRRR:X

But yes, If we meet again. I would like to get better breeds. I love getting info and help from other people...

I was talking last night before I talked to my aunt. I was thinking about after these new babies are old enough to leave me :(, I'm thinking selling the mommy and diffently the daddy. because of hes coat. But No, She dont want me to do that.. The momma dont have a pedigree. But when I was talking to the Weber's Rabbitry. She said that my doe looks just like her Doe that she haves right now.

"This is what she emailed me"
The black doe is very simular to Black Knight. Black Knight is the Grand Sire to the BOB 2010 Lionhead Nationals blue tort buck. He was shown by a junior breeder cause I couldn't attend. She isn't a bad looking doe from the pic on your site. Is she a senior doe? They tend to loose mane after 6-8 months of age. I have some right now that have good manes after 1 year old and litters. It has taken 4 years to work on and it will always be a challenge. I think thats why I am so into them. The challenge.

So, I just dont know what to do with these bunnies! I love them all to death. They are all spoiled rotten. They have toys, chew toys,ect.. But I do love them all. Even the newer babies.:) I have tried to find a better close by to help me. But I do have a rabbit show in my town in July 10th. That is about 4-5 blocks from me! :)

I think you need to decide what you want and tell your aunt to stay out of it. Then I would sell whatever isn't going to help your heard out as pets. Next like Peg said go read the standard and start looking at prize winners. Maybe you can look at other sites and critique their rabbits to get practice for looking for your own. Next choose what colour you want to work with because breeding non-showables is of no use and then with the help of a good breeder choose your starter heard. I wish you the best as I am also new to the lionhead world and have been taken under the wing of some great breeders in my area.

Thanks Sarah.. I sure will take your idvice. I am talking to one breeder online at the moment she lives 5-6 hrs up north of me.. But Thanks again

That is great! I couldn't have gotten my starter stock without the help of a breeder 2 hours away and she even helped transport one from the states across the border for me. Good luck Misty!

I can help in the wooly, mini rex, and lionhead departments. I know many good wooly breeders. Just so happends that one breeds mini rex too and does extremely well with both breeds. lol I also know of other mini rex breeders because I bred them for 2 years. I know lionhead people becuase a lady has her son in my 4-H group (Christine) and her family breeds them with great success. Plus I have one from her and from talking and going to shows with her, the lionhead bug jumped on me. lol The lady from Basket of Blessings Rabbitry (lionhead breeder) is coming to Gaylord for our 4-H rabbit achievement day on the 22nd. lol So I'll even get to talk to her too. :p I'll give you any learned information! lol

Do you have a copy of the working standard for them? That will come in handy...Christine has one...she printed it off somewhere, so if you don't already have it, then I'm sure you can find it.

Roar. Tell your aunt to leave you alone. lol Woolies rock! WOOT!

My not-so-humble and very much personal opinion is....unless your aunt is paying for the feed and cleaning the cages - the decisions on what you breed should be yours.

Then again -opinions are like feet - we all have them - and some (oftentimes mine) - stink.

wooly_queen wrote:
I can help in the wooly, mini rex, and lionhead departments. I know many good wooly breeders. Just so happends that one breeds mini rex too and does extremely well with both breeds. lol I also know of other mini rex breeders because I bred them for 2 years. I know lionhead people becuase a lady has her son in my 4-H group (Christine) and her family breeds them with great success. Plus I have one from her and from talking and going to shows with her, the lionhead bug jumped on me. lol The lady from Basket of Blessings Rabbitry (lionhead breeder) is coming to Gaylord for our 4-H rabbit achievement day on the 22nd. lol So I'll even get to talk to her too. :p I'll give you any learned information! lol

Do you have a copy of the working standard for them? That will come in handy...Christine has one...she printed it off somewhere, so if you don't already have it, then I'm sure you can find it.

Roar. Tell your aunt to leave you alone. lol Woolies rock! WOOT!
Thanks, I know you'v been there and we have talked for a while now. And Thanks for that.. You are a great person and great to meet too! I liked looking at your beaaaautiful buns.. And Thanks for helping me with Finch And Lancey

TinysMom wrote:
My not-so-humble and very much personal opinion is....unless your aunt is paying for the feed and cleaning the cages - the decisions on what you breed should be yours.

Then again -opinions are like feet - we all have them - and some (oftentimes mine) - stink.
Yeah, I have to agree. I keep telling her that its my choose. But that seems not too work. But oh well!

countrybuns wrote:
That is great! I couldn't have gotten my starter stock without the help of a breeder 2 hours away and she even helped transport one from the states across the border for me. Good luck Misty!
Thanks, I wish you good luck with ya too!

I am glad that there are breeders like all of you! :)

TinysMom wrote:

That is my new favorite quote! :wink

lionheadbunny21 wrote:
What a cute lionhead bunny. I have a brown (almost) fullgrown and a black baby lionhead. They are adorable bunnies. :) THank you for sharing you new bunny with us.
You are welcome... I have 3 LionHeads and 3 babies left, 1 baby died last week.
And Rex, Mini Rex, Jersey Wooly, and dutch.

countrybuns wrote:
TinysMom wrote:

That is my new favorite quote! :wink
That was pretty funny! :nasty::laugh:

My non breeder perspective..... Do what makes you happy. Do what you can stand proudly and say "I did that, I put thought into this and made it happen."

Latest posts

Back