What ya think of my new lionhead?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistyjr

Reaction score
I got him from the Southwest Wisconsin Rabbit Club Show on May 8, 2010.

Name: Alex the Lion
Black Tort Buck
8 weeks old
Paid $16.00
I wanted to know what you'll think of him. :expressionless:?

282.jpg

283.jpg

284.jpg

285.jpg

286.jpg

288.jpg

Wow how did you get a rabbit for $16? Around here the cheapest you can get a lionhead for is $35 unless someone is trying hard to get rid of one? Is that an average price where your from or is a show a good place to buy decently priced rabbits? I want to buy a rabbit for $16! :) Oh and he's cute!

The lady wanted $30.00 for him but i got her to take the $16.00, She needed more holes open for the new babies that she haves.. I tryed to get a Jesery Wooly Buck and alot of breeders wanted $100- $160 each.. :O

holy crap! I get awesome woolies for $50 and less... so don't EVER pay that much for one unless it has 20 legs for BOB or something. XD

And I don't know much about lionheads...in the pictures his body looks kind of long.

I love his nose. lol Totally cute. :p

wooly_queen wrote:
holy crap! I get awesome woolies for $50 and less... so don't EVER pay that much for one unless it has 20 legs for BOB or something. XD

And I don't know much about lionheads...in the pictures his body looks kind of long.

His body is very long and his ears are longer than most judges like. The breeder who sold him - if she represented him as either breeding or show stock - didn't really know her rabbits very well (in my opinion).

He has a cute face - but the lionhead standard is pretty clear about the body type with a drawing and everything.

However - he is cute.

For those who are wondering - here is a link to the working standard for lionheads.

I'm sure you'll enjoy him though.

I got him from Windy Knob lionheads in Wi.

He haves Schneiders, Mane Frame, Weber's, Sunny Slope, Kc, BB's, lakeshore's whiskers,Kc, RRH, BB,
Any known breeders?

When you need some lionheads, my friend Christine can hook you up. lol Her's are really nice! About $30 I think too. They get BOB and BOS at the shows that we go too a lot. :) They are short and compact and you could work on correcting the long body problem. ;)

Are you going to the show in Midland on the 29th?

TinysMom wrote:
wooly_queen wrote:

His body is very long and his ears are longer than most judges like. The breeder who sold him - if she represented him as either breeding or show stock - didn't really know her rabbits very well (in my opinion).

He has a cute face - but the lionhead standard is pretty clear about the body type with a drawing and everything.

However - he is cute.

For those who are wondering - here is a link to the working standard for lionheads.

I'm sure you'll enjoy him though.

I just reread this and felt that I wanted to explain myself because I came across too harsh. I didn't mean it to sound that way.

There seems to be two ways of people defining "show rabbit" when it comes to quality. One way is "this rabbit is free from defects and can be shown without being dq'd". That is probably one of the most common.

My definition (and of most of my friends) is that if I sell a show rabbit - it is one that I would place on the table - under my name - and expect it to do well. It may not win the class - but the judge's comments would be favorable on type and other things.

For a buck - if I was selling it as show or brood stock - it better be VERY good - because you want to have the nicest buck you can get. Your buck needs to have type (particularly if you only have one) because he will affect every litter you get.

I am willing to accept faults in my does - like longer in length or slightly longer ears (or shorter ears when it comes to flemmies) - because I have what I think is a great herd buck and so far with four different does he's consistently produced the same body type. I've been amazed.

Misty - my feeling is - and I didn't mean to offend you by the way - that this breeder either didn't know her lionheads very well - or didn't know enough to explain that he wasn't a great quality buck. He has nice mane around his body - but his type is so far off due to his length - that it will be hard to have him do well if he goes up against good competition.

But I didn't mean to sound mean or harsh and I apologize if I sound that way. Right now - as a brand new flemish giant breeder I'm selling most of my offspring as pets because I don't want to tell someone "this rabbit will do well on the show table" until I'm comfortable with the standard and know my rabbits better.

To see the rabbits that won at Lionhead Nationals this year you can go here.

Once again - I'm sorry if I came across harsh - I didn't mean to.

Ohh, I didnt even know that you were being harsh. I know what you ment to say though. I do have really bad breed bunnies at here. I though he would be good. But hes still young yet and he might change. But once hes a little older, i will take him to the show and see what the judge says, Just when Simba died, i was dying to get another tort. I understood what you were staying. You werent being mean or harsh at all. :hug1

Back