What would you do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleBigzBunnies

Reaction score
We are letting our kids each get one rabbit specifically for themselves. I have so far let the kids pick out whatever color they wanted. My youngest daughter got a black silver marten, my middle daughter wanted a lilac silver marten and we got it but now I am stuck with my oldest daughters request.
We really wanted to have all rabbits be 'useful' in our breeding program... So tell me, is there any 'use' in her request?

We have blue lines(self, otter and silver marten,) I am trying not to get into brokens in the blue line just yet.
And I think we may keep our chocolate line but not sure yet, same varieties as the blue.

My daughter really wants a BEW netherland. And while I find them adorable, I am pretty much finding that I am going to need a VM buck or another BEW buck to make her 'useful' and not with the lines I already have. I didn't really want to start a BEW line.

What should I do? Incorporate a BEW or try and talk her into something else? She is 11 btw.

as a non breeding, parenting point of view- you told the children that they got to make the choices. you let the other two make their choice, and supported it. to no let your daughter make her own choice because you don't agree with it, is not fair and can undermine her confidence in her decisions. if the rabbit is suppose to be specifically for her, then let her make her own choice and support it. you can try talking to your daughter, explain your breeding program and that you want to use her rabbit in your program, but if she is dead set on the bew, i think you should let her get it. if you didn't give the children guidelines to begin with, it isn't fair to suddenly change the rules. what is more important, your breeding program, or showing your daughter that she can make her own decisions, and that you will always support her decisions, even if you don't agree with them?

She's the oldest - get her a PAIR that will work together and then have two lines...one that is hers and one that is for your younger children.

We have decided to get her the BEW... nothing about undermining her decision, or her want, just trying to make sure I can keep from being over run with bunnies...

But we can breed a BEW with most I have here, and worst case, I will outsource for a buck. She really wants baby bunnies of 'her own' and I wanted to make sure I was not just breeding to breed, but actually breeding something of good quality, type, temperament, and preferably something showable/breedable.

BEW kind of an odd addition to your program, but she can get some cute VM's that you can pet out or if they are good type, can be sold to a BEW breeder. They won't be eligible for show though so you'll be stuck petting them out mostly. They are sooo gorg though.

I wonder if the ARBA, or the ANDRC is ever going to make a standard for VM's.... They are kind of a vital part of a breeding program(at least with BEW) so why not make them a showable color and give people something to strive for with them?

HappyFarmBunnies wrote:
There isn't even a COD for them. I wonder why? I am dying to see the reds and the champagnes approved more than ever though, I have to admit.
Apparently no one has ever had the desire to pull a COD on them....

You have to be an ARBA member for five years before you can pull a COD plus there are other things I thing (not sure if you have to have X other folks working on them or whatever..).

I wouldn't put a BEW in your breeding program. I honestly think you are just asking for problems. If she is specifcally wanting to work with the BEWs since that is what you got her, I would keep that out of your lines.

And mentioning on the VM.... arn't they all marked differently? I just don't see the point in wasting time to make it an accepted color, when so many breeds, such as fuzzies are limited now anyway.

I got some links from another forum and I have been looking at bunnies all night with her.... She narrowed it down to 3 colors she likes, the BEW, the Smoke Pearl Marten, and the Chocolate. She went through TONS of pictures and info, and is looking at how different they can look, what the standard should be, etc... She is really doing her research and being picky(that is what I wanted!)

So now, we wait and see what she picks! And then the fun part of trying to find it!

Well obviously you know that the chocolate and the smoke pearl marten will be the best choice for your program, LOL. If she does decide to do the BEW's though then I would go all out and get a pair or a trio, to make it worthwhile. Let her start her own BEW program.

I am keeping my fingers crossed, but not really giving my opinion on them(unless she asks specific questions), I just keep saying "It just depends on whatever you want" and "this is your decision, and you rabbit, you can have whichever one you want"....

I really am okay with whatever she gets, If she goes BEW, the Trio is not a bad idea, I just really am trying to avoid adding that many more rabbits, but we will do what we have to! If nothing else, maybe even just a pair...

I am still keeping my fingers crossed because the other two would work well with what we have(particularly the chocolate).... We had a BEAUTIFUL chocolate self buck named Stuart and he recently passed away. He was our only one that was self and I know she really loved him and his color. I think that is why she is considering the chocolate...

I will update whenever she can figure out what color she wants! LOL

Back