What would happen if Bun-Bun escaped?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bun~Bun

Reaction score
No matter how much my rabbit, who is over 4years old, loves attenion, being petted, playing Tug-O-War,and treats, - he's that type of bunny that once he's out in the backyard, he hesitates to be put back inside. And will run as fast as hecan away from me till I corner him or he tires out. This is a reasonwhy he's not allowed out side. Any ways, I was wondering. If Bun-Bungot out into the front yard, how would I catch him? Would he be tooscared to cross the street? It basically would be too hard to catch himand I'd I have to say my final good bye to him.
Like some dogs that run away, they will eventually get home sick andcome home. Do you think a rabbit would do that? Would he miss me andCocoa?
Just wondering.

A UK member on the board has a garden bunny thatwanders off for days at a time but always comes back. I thinkit was nine days last time. (Everyonewas startingto worry). But all our domestic bunnies are native to the UKand Europe and do well outside. That's not the case in N.America.

I'm pretty suremy guys wouldcome back, or at leasttry to, as long as they know where 'home' is.It'smore difficult with house bunnies,they don't have the samesense of the warren, but I don't think they'd go too far.

That said,somebody on another board had her threebunnieschew their way outof a pen on their patiothe first day they had moved to a new home. They apparentlyspent a few weeks living in the fields around the house, butunfortunately were eventually killed byneighbourhooddogs.:(

Very sad. :sad:

sas and the warren

My rabbit escaped several times (usually becausemy dad left the hutch door open...) but always came back prettyfast. The longest he was gone for was about 3 hours then hejumped through a hole in the fence back into the yard like nothinghappened.

My sister's old rabbit had a magnetic pull to run under thehouse. It took hours for her to come out sometimes but that'shardly running away since she's still in the house kinda. :p

I guess it matters on the rabbit. Smelly wouldn't have ranaway if I threw him out (maybe take an hour vacation with the cats whomhe liked hanging out with). However someone down the streetfrom me had their rabbit run out of the yard and never comeback. That was probably becuase that family was evilthough. :)

We have had some close calls with our rabbits.Usually it was a case of someone did not latch the hutch door and thenext morning when we went out to take care of everyone someone waslaying out in the yard or on the garage floor. I think with mostdomestic rabbits they will stick around the yard...they've never had tofind their own food and shelter so they will probably be hiding aroundbushes or under porches. I would be less worried about bunny making atotal run and leaving the yard and more worried about a dog or anotherpredator finding them before you do.

Julia

That is my worst nightmare.

Snuggy is sometimes allowed to run in the fenced yard, but I'm anervous wreck the whole time. I'm so afraid she'll find ahole under the fence and be gone forever.

My three little ones have never been allowed outside for thisreason. Snuggy's big butt would require a BIG hole, but thelittle ones could probably slip under the fence much easier.

When Ruby and Millie were young they used to besuch little escape artists! I remember how it would only take them afew seconds to manage to dig or chew their way out of any run. Luckilyall times they have escaped we've managed to catch them in time and nowthey are escape proof runs but I dread to think what would happen ifthey did escape one time and I didn't realise! I honestly don't thinkthey'd wander home like a cat does because they would have the instinctto be wild. I thinkmy twowould happily live likewild rabbits!:rollseyes

Latest posts

Back