What will I need?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurtleShark

Reaction score
Finally, after a long time of waiting, I've decided I'll get a bunny. I decided that my new little girl will be an indoor bunny and now it's time to get some help so I can make sure I do everything right.

Cage size? I've met the parents of the rabbit that I plan on buying and both are fairly large rabbits. I don't know their exact size so a general rule here would be nice.

Food? I know she'll need some hay and pellets and greens but I'm not sure on the specifics.

What to use as a litter box and litter training tips, please!

How often should I clean the cage? How should it be cleaned?

I've been advised though my research to allow the rabbit to enter and leave the cage on her own in order to make the cage become a home and not so much a cage. Is this accurate?

And, as far as I know these bunnies have not been handled very often. Tips on "taming" her would be nice.

I am pretty sure I want a female rabbit. If you think otherwise feel free to tell me why.

Cage size: The biggest cage you can fit in the space you have available. Most pet store cages manufactured for rabbits are too small. My rabbits live in a 42 inch wire dog crate I've modified and added shelves to. Other people construct their own cages and still others just use a large exercise pen. At a minimum, make sure your rabbit can stand up tall and take a few hops in each direction. Whatever you choose, your rabbit will need exercise time out of the cage in a bunny-proofed area (nothing important they can chew on, no access to wires, etc.)

Food: This depends on the age. See if you can get some of the pellets she's currently eating to help transition. Typically rabbits under about 6 months are fed as much of an alfalfa based pellet as they can eat in a day and free fed alfalfa hay. Around 6 months is time to transition them to a timothy pellet and start restricting their intake (about 1/4 cup per 5 lbs of body weight) and offering unlimited grass hay (timothy, orchard, meadow, oat, etc.). The brand you choose will depend on your location and what's available. I personally feed Oxbow but there are other good options.

I use a jumbo cat litter box for my two rabbits. Some people use dish tubs. The tiny corner boxes they sell for rabbits are, in my opinion, too small because it's hard for them to fit in there! Keep her hay close to or in her box and that'll help with the litter training.

I dump my litter box every few days and spot clean my cage as needed. If your rabbit is litter trained there should be no bedding anywhere in the cage but the box.

Letting them come to you is best. I find lying on the floor in their area will allow curiosity to get the best of them and they'll investigate you. Then you can offer treats (my rabbits think their pellets are treats) and earn their trust that way.

Most cages at pet stores are too small for an adult rabbit. Some good options are an x-pen, wire dog crate (extra large or giant), or building an NIC cage. It can even be good to put a pen around the cage to give more space, but keep the rabbit safe when you can't supervise. The general rules for cage size is that the rabbit can take 3 full hops without hitting anything, can stand up fully, and can stretch out fully. You do have to look at the size and what it is like once you add a litter box, toys, beds, and other stuff.

A rabbit's diet should be 80-90% hay. Babies under about 6 months can have alfalfa hay, but adults should have timothy or other grass hay (orchard grass, brome, bermuda hay etc). Pellets depend on the weight and age of the rabbit. An alfalfa based pellet is better for young rabbits, while timothy is better for adults. The general rule for amount is about 1/4 cup per 5 pounds of body weight for an adult. Some rabbits need more, others less. Babies tend to get more, usually free fed. I live Oxbow pellets, but there are other good brands available. Veggies should be given in a good variety, usually 3-4 different ones per day. Amounts can vary, but the general rule is about 1-2 loosely packed cups per 5 pounds of weight. Veggies do need to be introduced slowly, one at a time, to avoid digestive upset. Babies should be limited and many people say not to give veggies until at least 3 months of age. Rabbits also need water available at all times. They tend to drink better from a dish. Heavy ceramic works well and isn't as easy to top over, dishes that hook onto the cage work well too.

A large cat litter box works well for most rabbits. For very large rabbits, a small cage bottom can work, or even a low storage container. There should be enough space for the rabbit to be in the box,turn around, and be comfortable. Many people put hay in the litter box, so there should be room to do that. Use a rabbit safe litter, wood or paper pellets are most popular. Avoid clay, clumping, and most cat litters.

Cleaning should be at least twice a week, but more often is good. A rabbit that doens't use the litter box will need more frequent cleaning. A rabbit that uses the litter box may only need the box cleaned and the rest of the cage tidied as needed. Also wash the food and water dishes.

It can be easier to be able to allow the rabbit to come and go on their own. It can help with litter habits as they don't need an extra box and can just go home to use the box there.

Rabbits can get used to frequent handling. Some prefer to not be held, but others like to be held. It does take some time to get to know your rabbit and what they like. You should get them used to handling so it is easier to trim nails and do general health checks and grooming. Using treats and petting can help them get used to your touch and learn that you aren't scary.

I believe I have a cage that I can get for free but I am not sure on the size.

Depending on if I get that or not and the size of the cage I might build something out of a bunch of wire shelving we have that is not being used. They are about 3 feet long each and maybe a foot tall. Of course I'd have to do something about the bottom as well.

Then I'll probabaly use the sugested amount of food "Around 6 months is time to transition them to a timothy pellet and start restricting their intake (about 1/4 cup per 5 lbs of body weight) and offering unlimited grass hay (timothy, orchard, meadow, oat, etc.)." as I am sure these young rabbits are over 6 months.

Latest posts

Back