what will help me?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iFUCPaige

Reaction score
Well my bunny Barney....

He has become very naughty

He has a real bad habit of biting and ripping up my carpet, I am looking for help to stop this or at least try and stop it, I have heard of many techniques.
I clapped my hands and shouted "NO!" he merely looked at me and carried on, another method was putting him in a time out in his cage, he simply came out when his time out was up and no more than an hour later he was back chewing it again. someone suggested to me putting sour apple spray or lemon juice on the area he was chewing, this did nothing he continued anyway, I cant put Tabasco sauce on the carpet as it is cream in colour and the sauce might stain. I have even resorted to getting a small squirt gun and squirting him with water, but he seems to enjoy this.

He has a large enclosure and plenty of toys that he plays with it is just when i let him out!!

another theory I have looked at is neutering, and I was wondering if this worked at all as it is quite expensive. I wish to litter train him properly and when he is older have run of the house but at this moment I don't trust him even in my kitchen.
are there any other methods I could try?

Get a bar of Ivory soap and rub it on the carpet where he likes to dig and chew. It didn't stain my carpet, but you might want to try it in an unseen area first. This doesn't work with every rabbit, but when it does work, it works very well, indeed. You will get a glare, flicked off, and the bunny butt. Reapply as needed, every few weeks, approximately. Neutering can also help as you stated.

One of the potential signs of hormonal behavior is excessive destructive chewing. So, yes, neutering may make all the difference. Neutered rabbits also litter train more easily and their urine smell is not as strong.

I don't believe it's ever a good idea to use a cage as "timeout." I think this makes them see the cage as a place of punishment. They should see their cage as a sanctuary, a safe place, a pleasant place.

If he's chewing on a particular area or areas of the carpet, you could try putting a 12" or 18" square tile on top of that area. That may discourage him until you get him neutered (if you decide to neuter).

Another possibility is sprinkling some white vinegar on the carpet there. Usually they don't like that and it shouldn't harm the carpet since it's clear. (But you might want to test for staining first on some inconspicuous section of carpet)

Bandit has the same problem, he loves pulling up carpet. Nothing we tried would stop him from doing it, not loud noises, telling him no, holding his head down, spraying on smelly things etc. He is just determined to do it. Even after he got neutered he still continued the behaviour. In the end, I simply had to restrict his access so that he only has access to tiled areas. It makes his free time area much smaller, but saves me a lot of headache.

Latest posts

Back