What WAS that???

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkiddle

Reaction score
I was walking by my door and all of a sudden I hear the buns running around like crazy. It's an odd time for them to be doing their 500s, so I ran in. They looked like they were just chasing each other (like they do in their 500s) but then I saw both of them trying to bite each other.

Just some background: we are at my parents house because of mold at my apartment. We won't be returning to that apartment--we'll either be moving into a new one, or breaking the lease and staying at my parents. They've never had dominance issues here as we stayed here a lot as they were bonding and it's pretty neutral since Cheeto and I moved out.

Also, when I was separating them, Millie bit me (trying to bite Cheeto).
They were fine immediately after and proceeded to snuggle and groom each other. What was that????

New locations can break a bond or effect a bond. You will need to monitor them closely. If more fights break out you may need to cage separately and rebond again. Or they may just work it out and end up being fine.

agnesthelion wrote:
New locations can break a bond or effect a bond. You will need to monitor them closely. If more fights break out you may need to cage separately and rebond again. Or they may just work it out and end up being fine.
But the weird thing is they were bonded here and we've been living here nearly every weekend since I got Millie. So it's not like it's new. Hmm. They're fine now. I'm wondering if they were just playing rough. They looked at me like, "What?? What's wrong mom??" when I broke them up.

kkiddle wrote:
agnesthelion wrote:
But the weird thing is they were bonded here and we've been living here nearly every weekend since I got Millie. So it's not like it's new. Hmm. They're fine now. I'm wondering if they were just playing rough. They looked at me like, "What?? What's wrong mom??" when I broke them up.

Oh I didn't know that. Hmmm. You said every weekend. Where are they during the week?

At the apartment that we're not going back to. They were fine when I left, but I'm freaking out. I will be calling to check on them every 20 minutes or so. I'm seriously hoping they were just playing rough.

So maybe the switching back and forth every week has something to do with it?
Not sure but hopefully it was just a scuffle. Let us know how things go!

I have two bonded buns. They are sisters from the same litter and have been together sense birth. We just had them spayed and everything was fine. We left for a night a came back the next morning, something that we have done before.

We got back and there was fur everywhere and Luna's ear is split due to a bite. It sucks but when we walked in they were laying next to each other. I figure it was an argument over top bun which has switched from Luna to Aria.

That have been fine ever sense. As Lisa said, you need to watch but do NOT split them because of 1 fight. Think about if you have siblings. Sometimes you just want to explode, but in the end you still love them.

my girls started fighting after their spays... Gaz was terrified of Nala, which turned out to be because Nala was biting her on the bootie and then chasing her when she ran away.

I couldn't keep them in a tiny 2x3x1 grid recovery cage together with them fighting, so I had them in adjacent 2x3x1 cages that shared a wall for a couple days... then I packed up a playpen and took them over (in separate carriers) to my neighbor's kitchen and let them out together in 100% neutral territory (with the added minor stress of a poodle-like dog staring at them... they're not too bothered by dogs, but it was something they weren't used to and Nala thumped at him a time or two if he stared too long, though she also went up and touched noses with him a couple times, lol).

first thing Gaz did was try to hump Nala (a real surprise since she'd always been the submissive one)... I broke it up before remembering that I oughta let it go so they could work things out, but it never happened again. there was maybe one little booty nip early on, but after that we sat in the kitchen with them for a couple hours without any problems.

ever since then, there have been a few booty nips and chases, but Gaz no longer seems terrified of Nala and there have been less and less fights. they still snuggle frequently.

if you feel like reading my re-bonding ordeal after their bond inexplicably broke, it starts here - http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=76324&forum_id=48&page=1 and continues at the beginning of my blog - http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=76388&forum_id=6

Thanks for the replies everyone. It was just really odd. They're fine now, just like they were immediately after. They're actually a little nervous around me at the moment because I had to push them away from each other during the ordeal, and apparently neither of them appreciated it.
They're eating, cuddling, playing like normal. I think maybe it was either rough play or a minor scuffle. The thing is that they didn't seem vicious going at each other; I am freaking out because they were biting (and that was made obvious when I got caught in the crossfire.) It was not something I had ever seen before even in the beginning stages of their bonding process.

Fur was not flying, but Millie bit me pretty hard, so if that was intended for Cheeto...I guess it was just hard to see because there was never any hostility in their bond, even in the beginning. There was some nipping going on, but it wasn't hostile, it was playful.

And by the way--we've been here (without leaving) since before Halloween (I think the Thursday before, so almost a week before.) So you would think that any reaction to changes would have been in the beginning, right?

I don't know! I'll keep an eye on them the next few days/weeks/months to see if it happens again, and if it does what the trigger is (if it's a fight).

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back