What veggies can you feed without gas occuring

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreo and bella

Reaction score
Hi all I just want to know what veggies will not start gas off and will end up causing getting gi statis
I've been looking on certain rabbits websites and they say this veggie is good then I find another and say it's really bad so really unsure I have had rabbits before but everything has changed so much within the years so I thought I would post and see what other rabbit lovers do feed there rabbits
Many thanks in a advance

In terms of lettuce, dark, leafy greens are good, but feed spinach and kale in moderation, they are high in oxalic acid. Iceberg lettuce should never be fed to rabbits, it is too watery and can result in GI Stasis.

Link to lettuce options - What's The Best Type of Lettuce for Rabbits? — Rabbit Care Tips

In terms of veggies,
Carrots - high in sugar, don't give many, they have to be smaller as well
Cucumbers - good for bunnies, don't give more than 2-3 slices a week, they are watery
Tomatoes - okay, fine to give as a treat
Broccoli - can cause GI Stasis
Bell peppers - remove seeds, don't feed daily, more of a treat
Avocado - NEVER

Link to veggie and fruit options - Rabbit Food List: What Fruits and Vegetables Are Safe for Rabbits?

Hope this helps! I'm sure others will have great answers as well. If you ever aren't sure if a veggie is safe, be sure to ask or look it up :D

*Moderation is key! Rabbits have sensitive stomachs!*

Best wishes ~
Remy

Last edited:
Try to think more in terms of "greens" than "veggies." Greens are more what rabbits should eat. Veggies like broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots... generally aren't what you want to feed regularly (or at all -- depending on the rabbit).

So for greens, think anything leafy....including many herbs. Basil, cilantro, mint, oregano, sage, thyme, green tops of carrots, leaves from celery stalks, even dandelions and raspberry leaves (no sprays or insecticides). [and, lettuces of course]

Some greens are fine to feed if limited to just a couple times per week (or, alternatively, feed for several days in a row and then give it a break for several days). @Remy The Rabbit already mentioned kale and spinach as something to limit. Also, parsley, mustard greens, turnip greens should be limited.

Most of all, remember that greens need to be introduced very slowly and one type at a time. Here are instructions for how to introduce greens safely:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/greens--veggies.html

Latest posts

Back