what type of wood should i use?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i am getting ready to build a cage for my rabbit since he has out grown the store bought one that we have for him but i was wondering if i should use treated wood or untreated wood? i don't know if either would be safer for him. oh and he is a inside rabbit so i don't know if they would make a difference. thanks.

Most treated woods have compounds that can be very harmful as they are treated to be fungus or insect resistant--remember, if a rabbit can, it will chew on anything it can get to. Also, some woods are just plain toxic--cedar probably being the most common. If you frame it with wire completely inside so that your bunny can't get to the wood portion kiln dried pine would be good or any other type that you could use around small children--needs to be non toxic.

Def. want to use untreated wood. Ceder is what we choose to build our cages with. The company Ware Manufacture uses ceder to build commercial cages, and my rabbit savy vet told me that it is a safe wood to chew on.

Latest posts

Back