What type of rabbit is this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSLiu02

Reaction score
Hi there, I was hoping someone could help me. I was told by the salesperson at a petshop that these were Netherland Dwarfs. Are they Netherland Dwarfs or a mix?

I thought they looked different from normal Netherland Dwarfs in that they were slightly larger, their ears are longer, and the head shape seemed slightly different.

I'm aware that:
"Most of the rabbits sold as dwarves in pet stores are not true dwarfs, but crosses between a dwarf and a standard rabbit. These "mongrels" are hardier, but grow to a larger size and lack the characteristic small head and low carriage of the true dwarf."
I'm wondering are these Netherland Dwarfs or some type of mix? If they are a mix, what type would they be?

Also, what color is the rabbit on the left? The salesperson said the color was white-tipped black. Looking online, the color that looks closest is black otter. What color name is standard for this color? Are both color names suitable when describing color to the breeder or are there small differences?

qod0qx.jpg

i1jsk5.jpg

2lco26d.jpg

Thank you

They look like some of the best Netherlands I've seen from a petstore. I'd guess they're full grown? The ears are a bit longer then a lot of netherlands, but it could just be not 'good quality' rabbits.

They are most likely Netherland crosses - definitely not purebred.

And the rabbit on the left is a Black Otter. Lol @ "white-tipped-black"; great example of the lack of knowledge pet store employees have. ;)

Emily

Thank you for your responses.

They're fully grown in these pictures and both male too.

Do you have any idea what sort of rabbit mix they could be? Netherland Dwarf/Dutch?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_most_common_rabbit_breeds

Since it's from a pet store I'm thinking it would be a common breed mix. From it's ears it's not a lop, from it's fur it's not a lionhead or a wooly, and because I'm allergic to it it's not a mini-rex.

Because of this would it most likely be a Netherland Dwarf/Dutch cross? Would there be anything else it could likely be?

Also could a Dwarf/Mini-Rex cross look like this too while keeping the same non allergenic traits of a Mini-Rex? How do Dwarf/Mini-Rex crosses tend to look? And could a runt Mini-Rex look the same as this? (Not peanut)

Thanks again.

Their fur isn't rexy at all, it's pretty dwarfy.

Their weight is maybe 3-4 pounds? I'm not sure. They're as heavy as they look like they'd be.

I wanted to get one that looked exactly the same. Only I have allergies. So I wanted to see what breed mix it was, and if it was possible to replicate the look with a Netherland Dwarf/Mini-Rex cross.

It's possible that they are Netherland Dwarfs that don't carry the Dwarfing gene.

Pam

They do look like either a cross or a Netherland without the dwarfing gene. It's hard to say, and even if they are a mix, you can never tell what they're a mix of for sure since you can get color combinations and certain characteristics from almost any breed. Rabbits are not as easy to determine mixes on as something like dogs, where you can usually take a pretty fair guess.

The one on the right looks like a silver marten to me, and a siamese sable on the right.

Thanks for all your responses.

What do you think would be the best way to go about getting a rabbit that was exactly the same?

My Netherland Dwarf is purebred and he is 3.3 lbs

Your Netherland Dwarf, black one, could be a cross between a lionhead, yours probably didn't get the mane, and a dwarf. My lionhead is a mix of lionhead and holland lop. Her ears did not lop. So this rabbit you have could have lionhead in him, just not enough to show it is in him, just like my Sweetie.

Prince: Netherland Dwarf purebred, white rabbit in avatar

Sweetie: Lionhead mix(her daddy was a holland lop), black rabbit in avatar

Latest posts

Back