What type of hay do you feed your rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OreoTheMiniLop

Reaction score
I couldn't find a topic on this and I'm just curious what type of hay people feed their bunnies? Share it below!

I personally feed Oreo 2nd cut timothy hay from Small Pet Select as her main hay. I give her a bunch of different types of hay mixed in a few are, oat hay, orchard grass hay, botanical hay, etc. I also mix in bunny safe dried herbs as Oreo isn't very interested in hay. I also put her daily pellets in her hay, to get her to eat more hay. She also gets alfalfa hay as a treat RARELY. I normally use it for training once every two weeks or so in very small quantities.

I definitely feed Xiao Wu and Tu Shen 2nd cut timothy hay. Not very much on the other front as the giant bale of timothy was pretty cheap from our local Standlee store. As for other hays, very rarely would I give Orchard grass. I noticed they're not a fan of it, but they LOVE oat hay.

You are lucky to have so much choice. I can only get pre-packed hay from the supermarket, which is of variable quality, or oat, wheat or lucerne from our farm centre. Bunny usually loves oaten hay, but today when I went it, they only had wheat or lucerne. I opted for wheaten hay. It has stalks and leaves which are very broad.
Do you think this will be OK for bunny? (I didn't want to get lucerne, because I thought it had too much protein and too much calcium.)

I give Ted mostly 2nd cut timothy hay from Small Pet Select.

Sometimes I add small amounts of alfalfa, or KayTee Timothy hay available from the grocer. Also sometimes I smush in some banana, or add very small amounts of diced apple. I try to give him some variety, to keep him interested.

I recently purchased a one pound bag of oxbow oat hay from petco. It was more like oat dust. If anyone knows of a good source for small amounts of oat hay, or orchard grass hay, I’d be glad to know about it.

I give Ted mostly 2nd cut timothy hay from Small Pet Select.

Sometimes I add small amounts of alfalfa, or KayTee Timothy hay available from the grocer. Also sometimes I smush in some banana, or add very small amounts of diced apple. I try to give him some variety, to keep him interested.

I recently purchased a one pound bag of oxbow oat hay from petco. It was more like oat dust. If anyone knows of a good source for small amounts of oat hay, or orchard grass hay, I’d be glad to know about it.
I get small amounts of oat hay from Small Pet Select as it is the best oat hay I have found. I also got the oxbow hay and it was just dust.

Latest posts

Back