What Type Of Harness?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DwarfGirl

Reaction score
can i just get a small size dog or cat harness or is there a special kind of harness just for rabbits?

There are specific rabbit harnesses, butdepending on your bunny it may not fit, some rabbits are too big to useone, so owners use cat ones, but my buns were too small for theharnesses and kept slipping out.

If you do get a harness, please please test it inside with your bun alot to make sure that s/he can't slip out of it because that would beawful if that happened :(

I have a kitten harness. it is a H shape. I gotit for about $7 at walmart. I like it because it needs to be adjustedonce and is good to go until your bun grows. So on guess work about ifit is fitting right.

The harness i got for bunbuns is TERRIBLE.. shewont let me put it on her. I guess ill have to get her a new one.. theone kara sujested sounds good.

There are quite a few types of harnesses thatare safe for rabbits, and I'll give you a quick overveiw of each typeof harness that I say is 'acceptable' and some I say are not.

The H Style Harness

RunDownhill.jpg

The H Style Harness is my prefered type of harness. In all myexperiences, this harness is perfectly safe. However, this maynot be true of all rabbits. Some rabbits can wriggle out of theharness, get a leg caught in it, or just get frightened in the harness.When used properly, however, and on a rabbit that accepts the harness,this harness is perfectly safe for general, day to day use.

This harness is also the harness that you are most likely to get as acat or dog harness. This harness should have a detachable leash, andshould be made with straps. Do not get a harness, even in afigure H, made of rope.

Make sure that the harness is actually a figure H, not a figure 8. A figure H is much safer than a figure 8 harness.

A figure H harness can be bought as a dog harness, a cat harness, or arabbit harness. Go to your local pet store, and see if you can find anyrabbit harnesses. However, do not get them in rope or in a figure 8shape (look below).

This harness is classed as acceptable by me.

The Vest/Coat Harness

pet-guys_1949_8566162

(not my photo)

Personally, I have never used this type ofharness. However, the idea of it is very good, and, when correctlyfitted, this harness can be a very safe and comfortable harness foryour rabbit to walk around in. This harness must be fitted rathertightly, though, as, if it slips, it can cause great problems for yourrabbit.

Other people on this forum have used this harness, and I have heardonly good reviews from those people. I'm sure that, if you ask, therewill be plenty of people who can tell you more about this harness.

This harness is marked as acceptable by me.

The Figure 8 Rope Harness

Ollie3.jpg

The figure 8 rope harness is rather unsafe forrabbits. The rope can cut into the rabbit's skin, and it is a verytough harness on the rabbit. It is very easy for the rabbit to get aleg through it, and the leash, being undetachable, can prove a problem.

In the hands of an unexperienced rabbit handler, the figure 8 ropeharness can damage the rabbit, or scare them. In the hands of a veryexperienced owner, the harness is merely passable. I used to use afigure 8 rope harness, and it brought me nothing but trouble. If I wereyou, I'd steer clear of these harnesses.

The harness is marked as unacceptable by me.

Safety On The Harness

When used correctly, harnesses can be a great way foryou and your rabbit to reach places not usually possible. However,there is always a safety risk when putting a harness on your rabbit.Rabbits can get scared, get a leg trapped, get the leash wrapped aroundtheir leg, run off and pull the leash out of your hand etc. All ofthese have happened to me, and they are not much fun.

You need to introduce the harness to your rabbit gradually. Let themsniff it the first day, then lay it gently on their back. Then do it upquietly and loosely. Gradually tighten it, and allow your rabbit to hoparound. Then you can snap a leash on, and walk your rabbit around.

Please please please introduce the harness to your rabbit somewherethat is secure, and that your rabbit is familiar with. If your rabbitis an indoor rabbit, I strongly urge you to introduce it to yourrabbit indoors. If not, then make sure the rabbit is in a very secureenclosure where they will not be able to escape if they run.

Never let the rabbit run around with the leash dragging behindthem. This can frighten your rabbit, cause the leash to get caughton something, wrap around their leg etc.

If your rabbit, at any time, seems worried, distressed, or nervous, stop immediately and take the harness off.

If you have any questions, I urge you to ask. It's better to be safethan sorry. I, personally, would be very happy to answer any questionsyou may have. :)

Sorry for the essay, I just want to make sure that every rabbit is safe on their harness ;)

- Rachel.

Latest posts

Back