What type of bedding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can use carefresh, yesterdays news, woody pet (or equine pine , horse stall bedding) , Pine shavings.

Carefresh and yesterdays news are on the expensive side. Horse stall bedding that looks like yesterdaysnews you can get at a tractor supply store, the thing i dont like about that is that it breaks down to a powdery dust when wet, doesnt feel wet, and then it gets on the buns coat. Pine shavinds are not very odor controlling or absorbent. I suggest if you use any pine product put it somewhere to air out cause the odor can be strong sometimes. I use to use a pop up hamper made of thin meshy type material and it would get aired out.

Lately in the boxes i have been using a mixture of pine shavings and carefresh to try to make the carfresh last longer. I acutally found a place where i can get the yesterdays new for 14.00 for a 30 lb bag so i might start using that again in the boxes.

Good luck with whatever you use.

cedar is a big fat NO NO. But pine is ok if it is kiln dried or aired out. You can use pine but make sure it is kiln dried, and i would air it out for a couple of days before using it.

I used pine shavings and when i get a new bag from the tractor supply i put it in the hamper and let it sit for about 4 days before using it.

has anyone's bunnies ever eaten yesterday's news? i think my bf's new little dwarf is eating it (which is not making the rest of his digestive system happy!!) so we changed it out to carefresh. i do prefer YN for cost, cleaning, smell etc, so i'd like to go back to that. i guess i'm just asking if anyone else's buns have eaten YN and what they did about it if yes?

Chessie sleeps in her faux lamb cat bed. Her litter box is lined with newspaper and shredded paper (junk mail). Then we compost the used stuff, so we are recycling twice and it's free.

I use hay. We can get a 40 pound bale of the stuff for less than 10 bucks at the local Agway.

tonyshuman wrote:
has anyone's bunnies ever eaten yesterday's news? i think my bf's new little dwarf is eating it (which is not making the rest of his digestive system happy!!) so we changed it out to carefresh. i do prefer YN for cost, cleaning, smell etc, so i'd like to go back to that. i guess i'm just asking if anyone else's buns have eaten YN and what they did about it if yes?

I gues it isnt ideal for the bun to be eating it, but then when they chew up paper, phone books and things like that i think they must digest some of it?

A solution to that could be to get those screens to put on top of the litter. They look like mesh , plastic squares and you place ontop of the litter it catches the poo and the pee goes to the litter/

Luvmyzoocrew wrote:
I gues it isnt ideal for the bun to be eating it, but then when they chew up paper, phone books and things like that i think they must digest some of it?

A solution to that could be to get those screens to put on top of the litter. They look like mesh , plastic squares and you place ontop of the litter it catches the poo and the pee goes to the litter/

Yeah, some folks on the forum have made their own...there's a thread here somewhere...if anyone can find it easily perhaps a link would be helpful.

We use carefresh and sometimes a similar product that Kaytee puts out. My buns don't tend to eat those things, they are absorbent, and they can be thrown in the compost. That's a win-win-win for us.

Cedar is bad for their respiratory system. Pine shavings always worked ok for me though.

thanks guys! i totally forgot about those plastic grates! will have to do that.:biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back