What treats do ya'll use??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ditty816

Reaction score
ok I know someone else has probably started this tread already.. but I thought it'd be a good topic...

So, what treats does everyone give their bunnies??

my off-the-wall one is: Cinnamon Toast Crunch... they have their own little community bowl in the living room... told my vet about that and I thought he'd have a heart attack! but just try taking it away from them... oh no no no no no... :Dthink of a normal bunny going after a banana..

which mine do like banana's too.. their main treat they get is a Yougie (fruit or carrot flavor)... then we have the Apple Sticks or a Grass Mat too...

Sherbie's my little odd-ball... he'd eat anything... my husband likes to sit on the floor and eat (don't know why.. we have a perfectly good dining room table!) anyways, sherbie will come up and nibble on whatever is on his plate.. he loves crust from toasted bread.. basically anything that's bad for bunnies he likes... :?it's just hard to resist him with those pleading eyes.....

Mandy

For treats I give my rabbits raisins, orchard grass (their favourite!)and small amounts of apple or carrot. I don't give them sugarytreats that often though because they both have quite a sweet tooth!;)

Oats, oat hay (both of which Mocha will sell her soul for), raisins, grapes, bits of pear or apple, and blueberries- otherwise known as the only fresh fruit that's good enough for diva Mocha to eat.

None of my four rabbits like bananas. They glare at me like I tried to poison them. Fey had banana flavored Baytril once and she was not a happy camper. She ate it when it was mixed in pumpkin, but she made sure I knew that she was doing me a huge favor with every lick.

naturestee wrote:
None of my four rabbits like bananas.
Mine won't eat banana unless I slice it in rounds with the SKIN ON. That's their favorite part.

I rarely give mine fruit or sugary treats because Snuggy tends to plump up easily, so everybun has to suffer.

They get an occasional Craisin (otherwise known as Bunny Crack).

I give them a mini shredded wheat about once a week and they get a pinch of oats in the morning (except Toby - he can't tolerate it).

I try to give them a variety of grass hays so they won't get bored.

I give them craisins and papaya tablets. They also get orchard grassand oat haywith their regular hay supply.

Craisins ARE "bunny crack!!!"

My boys are treat-aholics!

Raisins, Craisins, Bananas, Apples, Carrots, Grapes, Blueberries are some of their very favorites.Oh and animal crackers are a huge treat-they now come running when they hear a plastic bag crunch bc they associate that with animal crackers :)

Oh and Mr. Tumnus has a new favorite- ritz crackers. He will sit on the rug in front of the cabinet where we keep them and make pleading eyes at my boyfriend, who all too often gives in.

All treats in moderation, of course ! :)

Corn is supposed to be bad for them, too.

Before I knew this, I would let the rabbits eat any popcorn that fell to the floor. They went crazy for it.

We're careful now to pick up any that's dropped.

My next door neighbor was feeding her rabbits what the farm she bought them from was feeding them... ground up corn! :XThey lived a very short time, I think a combination of stress, the weather, and the terrible diet.

Back on topic, another treat that Theodore always loved was a slice of apple. My friend's Flemish will beg for hours if he catches sight of a pumpkin pie, so she gives him a little spoon of the filling whenever they have it, which isn't very often.

yeah, I keep telling my bf to lay off the crackers...he just gives him a little tiny piece and its only a few times a week..but still too much in my opinion :)

I think he's trying towin Mr. Tumnus' love, which we both have yet to do :)

cheerios!!! (but don't know if that can hurt him) Maomaochiu goes nuts for cheerios!

he also loves potato chips and popcorns which i absolutely do not give to him, but my bf always toss them to him in a desperate move to win his heart.

I mostly feed home dried fruits -- strawberries, raisins, pineapple, papaya, apple. If we buy any fruit and we don't think we'll eat it before it goes bad, we throw it on the dehydrator for the bunnies! I love it, I get a steady and cheap supply of treats and I know there is no added sugar or preservatives to worry about.

But on occasion they get a soda cracker (love the salt) or a little piece of dried bread but that is less than once a month.

those are great ideas... I'm trying to wean the bun's off of the bad stuff... gettinga little chunky... only thing is, everytime I try they start getting mischevious around the house... (a new hole ends up in the carpet) and that I've tried everything to stop from happening... but to no avail... :X

I've given them craisins before.. they love those too! and I give them all different kinds of Oxbow hay.. they won't eat the Timothy anymore .. I figure they're sick of the taste??! so they're eating Oat Hay, Orchard Grass, Bunny Brome <-- they love that one! I've also given them Oxbow's cranberry treats... they're hard tho and I'm afraid they'll hurt snuggle's teeth... but they like them too...

Mandy

Trust me, the hard treats wont hurt them! Think about it, they gnaw on wood all day long. ;)

I actually dry all my treats until they are extra crunchy because that's how they like them.

MBB thanks for the dehydrating idea! My buns love dried fruit..I never thought to make it myself though:)

Now if I can just steal my dads dehydrator next time im over....

Haley, I haven't bought treats for the bunnies in 2 years! Mine are all home made. I just feel more comfortable knowing that the stuff is washed and prepared properly and I love knowing that there is no additives. I'll never go back to buying treats again!

I go around to neighbors in the fall and ask for apples from their trees and I dry all those as well.

Kudos for making your own, MBB. I used a recipe I found online for "bunny brownies" once, and Theo lovvvveeedd them. One batch lasted a really, really long time, too. Have you ever made any bunny recipes, or do you just dry things for them?

A few times I made my own bunny cookies but the bunnies didn't like them very much. I used pellet dust (sifted out from the pellets) and some honey and grated fruit.

So I stick to the good old fashion dry fruit which they love and it's probably healthier.

Where did you get the dehydrator to dry the fruit? It sounds like a wonderful idea. You'd think some of the sugar would go away when they're dried, too... I mean, they're still unhealthy, but maybe not quite so much?

Latest posts

Back