What to use for my bunny condo...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Seven

Reaction score
I know people use NIC panels for their rabbit's condos or houses, but I can't seem to find any of the ordinary smaller-spaced panels since I guess Target changed theirs. Right now I have only one rabbit indoors, but I would like to get them all transferred inside and litter trained. That means I am going to convert a basement room into a room for the buns, and I need more than just plastic basins... which is what Willow is currently living in for litter training purposes (it's a large, high-sided plastic basin so he can't jump out and the space inside is better for teaching him to use the box because it's smaller).

He still gets time to roam during the day throughout the room, but when I have him litter trained I'd like to fix up a more permanent solution. It doesn't have to look pretty - it just needs to be something sturdy. I'm just not sure what to use. I don't want him getting his head stuck in the new NIC panels... or feet or anything else. So is there any other option? I'm also looking for something frugal, nothing expensive.

Also, as far as flooring goes, what would you use? Our basement floor is old (being a hundred year old house and all)... not made out of the new concrete that's slick and easy to clean messes up on. What does everyone usually use?

It really depends on how handy you are. You could buy some wire (like the stuff used for other cages), some wood and make a cage. You would be able to design it as you want. A bottom would also be needed, but that could be coroplast or even some ply wood cut to size with sides and stick on tiles for easy cleaning.

Large wire dog crates to x-pens can also work. The wire crates can be expensive, but you might be able to find some used ones that are still in good condition. An x-pen would require flooring as well. X-pens could be used for 2 rabbits, but you would need to put a barrier in the middle.

Check thrift stores and even online sites like Craigslist for the grids. I have found a bunch at garage sales and the amount is more than 1/2 the girds I have.

Foam interlocking puzzle mats are great to cover the floor. They usually come in pack of 4 and each mat is 2X2ft. They are easy to clean, but some rabbits like to chew them so a blanket or something could help.

[align=center]Are you sure Target changed theirs? I just bought some NIC panels from there. Orange box? They have some small squared ones, and some bigger ones in one box.

I haven't found NIC panels as cheap as Target's :D

I do have some wire... but probably not enough to build a cage. And to be honest, I really am not good at carpentry. Somehow I managed to build a hutch for Jinx & Rubix last summer... how a 21 year old woman with no carpentry skills managed to do that I'll never know, but I'm not eager to try again! ;) I have an old dog crate, and my mother has one that I may be able to borrow, so that'll save me some time and money...

Okay, so I did manage just now to find NIC panels on Amazon.com. At least they look like the right sized panels. But I'm not sure...

I haven't actually checked at Target, I've just been going by what everyone was saying. I thought that they were all large-squared, but if there's smaller ones then I think I can probably manage with that and some of the puzzle mats maybe. I'm really eager to start making it!

If you get the girds and there are some with the larger squares, you can use those ones for the top or levels. If you had to use them for the walls, you can cover them with wire mesh to safety.

The_Seven wrote:
I do have some wire... but probably not enough to build a cage. And to be honest, I really am not good at carpentry. Somehow I managed to build a hutch for Jinx & Rubix last summer... how a 21 year old woman with no carpentry skills managed to do that I'll never know, but I'm not eager to try again! ;) I have an old dog crate, and my mother has one that I may be able to borrow, so that'll save me some time and money...

Okay, so I did manage just now to find NIC panels on Amazon.com. At least they look like the right sized panels. But I'm not sure...

I haven't actually checked at Target, I've just been going by what everyone was saying. I thought that they were all large-squared, but if there's smaller ones then I think I can probably manage with that and some of the puzzle mats maybe. I'm really eager to start making it!

[align=center]I've bought 4 boxes of NIC panels at Target XD
The small ones in the box (which is orange).. i can hardly fit 3 fingers in it! XD
They should have them =]
I opened the box and checked before we bought them =]

Latest posts

Back