What to use for bedding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggie0506

Reaction score
My rabbit is currently living in a small shed with a large wire run attached and since winter is coming we are going to insulate a 'box' for him but what should I use for bedding?

I hope its not a complete wire bottom floor, if it is, put some solid wood or some carpet down just so he has resting area for his feet, constantly walking on wire can hurt his paws!

As for bedding, its always safe to just use straw, lots of it, and have your hay in there too, as he can eat both.

If you like you can put a blanket/towel in there, something that they can snuggle up into.

The hutch is covered from the rain etc right?

Is it raised off the floor in case of predetors?

What ever happend to Cinibun?

It is a shed so no wire bottom just wood and we are using straw and hay at this point. For updates about cinibun go to the original thread. :)

If you're using straw and hay then i think its fine for his bedding, maybe if its really cold put a cover over the hutch to protect him from any wind etc that may get into the shed and keep the hutch insulated.

Other than that, i think your bunny will be fine with straw+hay with maybe a towel in there for him to curl up in :)

With our freezing cold Ontario winters, you definitely want a well insulated place for your bun.

Either glass fibre (that pink insulation you see), or polysterene slabs. Any chinks/tiny openings in the walls/corners should be filled with blown in insulation. Insulation will help keep warmth in during the winter, while keeping the cold out.

Here are a few links to insulating a shed if you need any more ideas: http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16959
http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Build-a-Shed&id=13586

(You probably knew that insulation stuff :D... figure some other folks don't though ;) )

Is the shed well protected from the wind?

Is there a vent in the shed for air exchange? Otherwise, it could get really stuffy in there...

Will your bun be coming into the house, or will you be going out to spend time together?
The physical transfer btw the house and the shed could be really taxing on a bunny body, so it would be best to limit exposure to the cold. If your house is super warm, and the shed is so-so it will be tough on his body to move back & forth.

A heat lamp would be cool if you can do it :)

I second the vote for straw :) lots & lots & lots of straw to tunnel about & nest in!

Yes we are going to well insulate the whole shed and he has straw and some old thick towels that he loves!

Back