What to mix with antibiotics to get them in?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrule

Reaction score
My Bandi has been through a course of Baytril for pasturella and it did nothing, now she is on azithromyocin but she won't take it! I have tried applesauce which worked for the baytril but she is just turning up her nose. Is there a liquid I could try?

Could do applejuice, or pedialyte (a bit sugary, but whatever gets it in, right :)

How about some mashed banana?

What does she usually enjoy?

(Honestly, I'm terrible... I just put a liquid dose in an empty syringe and shoot it into the far corner of the mouth... then feed a whole lotta something tasty.)

Have you got another pair of hands to help you?

She usually enjoys food in general haha. Applesauce was a super treat to her but I don't know if she will ever touch it again. :shock: My hubby will help me, we've had to do this before but to another, much smaller bun. I think I will try some pedialyte

Baytril isn't the best choice for pasteurella since most bacteria are becoming resistant to Baytril. If you have the tabs, there isn't much you can do to cover that taste (liver). You can try banana or a favorite type of baby food. Ask your vet if you can exchange the tabs for the injectable. If you can do sub-q injections, Baytril has a better chance of working when injected. If you can't do injections, your vet or a pharmacy should be able to flavor the injectable version and use it as an oral drug (I have used either avian flavoring or FlavoRX). Just for info, if it's a confirmed case of pasteurella, Azithromycin is the current drug of choice. Another choice is a newer floroquinolone called Zeniquin (same family as Baytril but without resistance issues...yet) as well as injectable drugs Convenia and Penicillin. Just a few options to discuss with your vet.

Randy

Well we wasted one dose, she is too smart. The medicine must have a distinct smell to her because she ate a little mixed with banana and then turned up her nose and ran into her cage. My husband wrapped her in a towel and we got most of a dose in but it was everywhere! She's a little hard to handle because she is 12 lbs (at 5.5 months!) and we are so nervous about hurting her.

If she is that large.....learn to do injections. And I would suggest using a "butterfly catheter" since it gives "wiggle room". Baytril is much more effective when injected but it should be buffered with a similar amount of fluids to prevent necrosis at the injection point. Once you learn to do it (sub-q will work) it is much easier, you can give fluids if the need should arise and the ability to inject meds opens up an entirely new world of safe and effective drugs that can be used. And once you get the hang of doing injections, it is less stressful on all involved.

Randy

jbrule wrote:
Azithromyocin is what she is on now.
Randy, the rabbit is not on Baytril... does your butterfly catheter suggestion still hold?

LOL! 12 pounds of bunny... yup, I bet she's not a fan!
Where do you have her placed?
On your hubby's lap, or burritoing her and putting her on the floor may make a difference.
Mine took it best sitting on their bums, slightly tilted back into my chest.

He held her in his arms last night and she was scared so I think we will do it sitting tonight. I'm sure we will get really good at it just in time for her last dose haha!

There is an injectable form of Azithromycin. I don't know that a vet would have it but it is available. There are some meds I have to get from human hospitals.

That is a big girl! From my experience, the bigger bunnies HATE HATE HATE to be picked up or put on their backs in any way. I have to cut their nails with them having all 4 feet on the ground--just pulling one foot out from under the bunny at a time. Maybe you can try to dose the medicine to her while she's got all 4 feet down? Hold her head still and put the oral syringe in the side of her mouth that way?

Back