What to look for in show rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snap

Reaction score
I have two New Zealand Whites, Popcorn & Butters, who are entered in a breeder rabbit show this Thursday(!!). ;D

I know I can't exactly change rabbits or anything, but I have no idea what the judge will be looking for. I'd like to know how well my rabbits fit the standard, and see if they have a chance. :p

So what should I be looking for, when I'm pretending to judge them(to train them to pose)?

BTW, these rabbits were in my friend's pen(of three) that got I think 8th place, out of 36 pens, at last years show. So they're not completely awful, and I would like to know more specific little detail things rather than general. :D

The best way to learn is through watching the judge and trying to see the faults he/she will point out. It's thebest way to learn, really! The faults are easy to see once you know what you are looking for. With a breed like new zealands, most of the faults you will encounter will be related to the shape of the body. I recomend talking to the judge after the show is through, too, so that they can show you in a hands on waywhat it is you need to be looking for.

Well I do know that they should be pretty solid animals as they are a meat breed...Very smooth... your hands shouldn't catch on their hips when you run your hand down their body and their hindquaters should be well filled...thats all I really know. lol

Here's a picture of an NZ who won Best in Show

http://www.newzealandrabbitclub.net/BIS%20NZ%20Grant%20Zilax.jpg
(Grant Zila - Best In Show
10/17/2009 - North Central Indiana
White 6/8 Doe)

I second Erin, listen closely to what the judge is saying and even ask him/her on their break if they can go over your rabbits with you. You can also watch for who wins the classes and follow them back to their grooming table and ask for help- many breeders are happy to explain their breed to newbies. :)

Overall, the judge will be looking for the structure and fullness of the body. Probably some point for color too (not familiar with meat breeds). An individual breed class is judged slightly different from a meat pen though, so the placements can/will differ.

New Zealands have almost a natural pose- but you really want for them to just be HANDLEABLE- not spazing out with the judge- lol! We work with ours all the time to pose and staystill while we walk away to get a better look. Front toes even with the eye, back toes even with the haunches.

You want a rise from the nape of the neck over the point of the hip and rounded out hindquarter. Also, you don't want to see hollowness- anywhere. New Zealands are a meat breed so you need to think about how much "meat" is on the carcass. With that being said, you also want an animal who is firm and flesh and not flabby or soft.

If you want, take a look at some of mine (not saying they're the best you'll see, but not too bad) at www.dyemondrabbitry.com and feel free to ask questions.

Latest posts

Back