what to feed it as a baby bun

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosie20029

Reaction score
as 6 weeks and till when , what type of hay do i feed the bun
i heard you could mix alfalfa hay and timothy hay but that asnt the best for the stomach! i dont really know and i need your help!?!

For the first six months while your baby is growing it will benefit from the higher calcium and protein by alfalfa and given with no limit. After that is when you need to transition to some other hay--we like orchard grass as there is way less dust than with Timothy, which I am allergic to. Also a good quality pellet without limit unless you bunny turns into a porker At 4 months you can introduce veggies also.

House rabbit society actually says 12 weeks for veggies ;)

I was feeding unlimited pellets, but my vet recommended limiting them somewhat due to Gaz having weight issues (still more than their adult rations would be, just not unlimited). sherwood forest's baby feed looks really good (https://www.naturalrabbitfood.com/rabbit-food-labels/ ) though I've never fed it myself as my bunns were right at the 12 week mark when I learned about sherwood forest.

definitely find out what hay the bunny is eating before you get it - I got my bunns and found out that alfalfa is better, so that's what I fed them and little Gazzles got mild diarrhea from the switch because she'd been eating timothy before - I started feeding both to make the transition more gradual and she got better very quickly. since I already had the timothy from having to make a gradual transition, I've offered both ever since (they do eat mostly alfalfa, though).

around 7 months, you can start cutting back on pellets and transitioning them purely to grass hays (alfalfa is a legume hay; timothy, oat, orchard grass, coastal, bermuda, wheat, etc. hays are all grass and are all perfectly acceptable hays to feed an adult rabbit.)

yeah, later is ok, just not earlier than 12 weeks. personally, I'm glad I didn't wait as 12 week old bunnies nomming veggies was super adorable and it's nice to have some variety/treats in their diet (plus hand-feeding them some of the veggies or at least the fruit portion of the diet helps to increase their bond with their human(s))

Latest posts

Back