What to do with toys after rabbit passes away

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimandCocoa

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

As some of you may have seen on the rainbow bridge, my rabbit Cocoa passed away the other night. I am so sad and can't believe he is gone.

Now I am left wondering what to do with all of his things? He has a bunch of toys, a water bottle, food bowl, pet bed, etc. I have one other rabbit, but she has her own items, because my 2 rabbits lived in separate cages. I don't want to throw all of Cocoa's things out, but I don't think I could donate them, since they aren't brand new. His cage I will probably keep in the basement and sell it if I don't end up getting another rabbit. I can't keep all of his things around because it's too depressing to see everything, so what should I do with it?

Hi Kim,

I'm very sorryyou lost your Beautiful Cocoa.

Is their any way you can box them up and just store them for now. One day your Daisy may need them or you may decide to get another bunny.

I know in the past I have gotten rid of bunny supplies/toys and regretted it. Someof them canbe pricey. Even now I have things stored for future use. Mind you when I moved from the house to the apartmentI did have to donate some stuff to our Humane Society. They took all of it, theyknew it was not new product. They were very happy to get it, so if you really don't want to keep it because it will be too painful to look at check into rescues.

Susan:hug2:

rescues and humane society will not care if the items have been previously used and neither will the other bunny's who get to use it :)

If there are any cardboard, wood or grass toys, you might want to throw them out. If some are still in good condition, then you could use them for your other rabbit if you want. Any cardboard or paper toys should be throw out as they can't be disinfected.
Plastic toys can be disinfected using a bit of bleach and water. Make sure you rinse them off after too.
Food and water bowls/bottles, litter boxes and other items can also be cleaned and disinfected and can then be used again.

I would clean all the stuff and throw out the stuff that is too damaged or can't be easily cleaned. Put it away with the cage. You may decide that you want to get another rabbit in the next little while and it would be good to have all the stuff available. If you then decide that after 3 or 6 months (or something), then you can donate or sell the stuff.
For donating stuff, contact a rescue about their policy on used items. Some will take used toys, but not litter boxes to food dishes. Some will take it all but might not use it all if it doesn't fit their needs or they feel that it is not the good enough condition to be used.

I would keep whatever you can. You never know when you might need it or decide to get another rabbit. Don't be too quick to get rid of everything now. I know that it is hard on you now and you don't want to have to deal with it, but it is not good to make these big decisions right now. At least wait a week and see how you feel then. You may decide that you do want another rabbit or you may decide that you don't want another one for a while or at all.

When our little Charlene passed away, I kept all of her toys, bowls, and bottles in her hutch. Two days ago I put some in Bambi's and some in Nikki's hutch. I would keep them in case you get another bunny or else donate everything to a rescue group. Your little boy Cocoa looked just like our Charlene. Rest in peace little man.

Latest posts

Back