What to Do Now?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glorylocks

Reaction score
So I FINALLY convinced my Mother to get me another rabbit. I was so excited because Clyde could have a new friend (if bonding goes well) after he is neutered! Problem is that after mentioning getting Clyde neutered my parents are completely against it. I tried explaining why its important and they still won't budge. I don't really want advice on how to convince them because they won't budge no matter what. I tried EVERYTHING.

I know now that I won't be able to get Clyde bonded with another bunny since I can't neuter him. So my main question is if I get another rabbit what sex should it be? I will have them in seperate cages at all times and will not put them together. I'm just wondering if it would still be best to get a female or if just the scent would be a trigger for agression? And the same for a male. I'm open to any advice. I'm sorry I can't convince my parents but I won't be "under their wing" or so to speak for much longer so then I can take the proper measures. I just really want another rabbit because I absolutely adore them and I take wonderful care of the one I have now.

Sorry for rambling and again thanks for any and all advice.

Couple thoughts...

If your parents are completely against neutering your boy, what will they say if he needs vet care for something else? Would they still be willing to pay vet costs for care other than a neuter? If not, then it probably wouldn't be right to bring another bunny into that situation.

If other vet costs are not an issue, then it would be best to be sure your next bunny is already fixed. It's better and easier all around to have a fixed bunny -- with behavior, potty training, etc. So if parents won't pay for a neuter, just get one that is already done. You can find one through a rabbit rescue that is already fixed. Just keep the two buns separate from each other.

They have no trouble with vet costs if he was to get sick, they just don't think any animal should be "fixed"..it really doesn't make any sense to me but that's what they believe and I can't do much to change their mind on that.
As far as getting a rabbit that's already fixed from a rescue, all the rescues that are around me require all rabbits in the household to be spayed or neutered before you can bring another rabbit into the house. Its in their adoption policies. There aren't very many rabbit rescues around me to begin with, I think only 3? And they all have that same rule.

I agree with Blue Eyes. Even if it takes a while, finding one that is already fixed would be key. Females have great health risks if they are un-spayed. I would keep an eye on the "rescue me" forum to see if anyone nearby comes up with a bun. I know some members would be happy to help with a train if need be.

that really sucks that all the rescues require you to have the other bunnies in the household fixed :(

personally, I would either wait to get another bunny until you're on your own and have him neutered (so he can pick his mate) or if you *really* want another bunny now, get a spayed female for the best odds of being able to bond them once you're able to get him neutered (female because M/F bonds are more likely to work out and spayed because spay surgeries can get quite pricey and you're already going to have to pay for a neuter). try checking petfinder and pet adoption sites for bunnies in your area and see if you can find someone re-homing a spayed female.

here are a list of sites with pet classifieds that I found when looking for places to post about my hamster babies:
http://www.hoobly.com/
http://www.webclassifieds.us/
http://www.petclassifieds.us/
http://www.buysellcommunity.com/
http://www.usfreeads.com/ or http://www.pet-classifieds.com/ (ads posted on the first one also get posted on the second)
ebay classifieds
craigslist
(couldn't find links for the last two that didn't automatically go to the pages for san antonio, since that's where I live/am registered)

with some of the sites, you can also post an ad saying that you're seeking such-and-such, so that might be a good option as well.

Thank you so much Imbrium for suggesting that I check those sites and post a wanted ad. I posted what I was seeking on Hoobly and within the first half an hour I got an e-mail from someone nearby (20 minutes to be exact) who is needing to rehome a spayed mini rex/netherland dwarf mix. I'm not sure yet if this will be the right choice for me or not as I'd like to see the bunnys temperment for myself. This will be easy since they are only 20 minutes away.
I really appreciate everyones help and support through this forum.

Check a rescue. There are so many and I see them from time to time fixed on Craigslist. That way you can get yourself a fixed bunny :) I would have a frank conversation with your parents about whether or not they are truly against paying for vet care for the rabbit or against spay/neuter because if they wouldn't be comfortable paying for potential vet bills, it might be a good idea to wait until you are out on your own with a job. Depending on your age, maybe you could get a job a couple hours a week to pay for vet care? I did that with my cat in high school. Never really had any big expenses, so I just had extra change :D

I would wait until you're living on your own. You have a whole lifetime ahead of you to bring animals into your care, there is no need to rush. I know it's tempting! But if you wait you can really make sure both are healthy and able to be bonded.

Remember two bunnies means twice as much food, twice as much poop, twice as much potential damage to household items.
I waited two years from the time I decided I wanted a rabbit before actually adopting one. Then waited another 7 months before adopting another from a shelter.

I would spoil the one you've got now :)

I am not one hundred percent sure yet if I am going to get a second rabbit even though I seem to have found the perfect option. I am going to take the advice of BinkyBunny and get a part time job after school to help put back as a back up emergency vet fund and to pay for the extra food, hay, litter and so on and so forth just so there is NO way my parents can complain about them if I am paying for them!

So my next question is how much do I need to have put back in an emergency vet fund? Around $200 more less? Just so I know how much I need in case my parents downright refuse to pay for something which I don't think would be the case.
Thanks everyone for all of your help! :D

hard to say, as it depends on vet prices and what the problem is if one arises - it could be anywhere from a couple hundred dollars to a thousand or more depending on how serious the issue is... other things can involve ongoing costs (like having to get teeth dealt with on a regular basis). if your parents will be paying the vet bills, $200-300 is probably more than enough.

if you're looking to cut costs, the two biggest ways to do so both involve taking a trip to a feed store. you can buy a 40 lb bag of wood pellets for $5-8, which is a great litter box substrate, and you can get a bale of hay dirt cheap (usually in the $9-15 range for 50-100 lbs of hay) which is by FAR a better option than paying $3 a lb for pet store hay (that usually isn't even as fresh as the feed store stuff). if kept clean and dry, a bale of hay can be stored for a year or more, so you definitely get your money's worth out of one!

I like to keep my hay in bale bags - http://www.tackwholesale.com/bale-bags-c-11.html (I got two half-bale bags to make it easier to get the bale into the house and so that I can stack the bags to take up less space)

One thing you may want to point out to your parents is that neutered males don't spray and are usually mellower without all the hormone driven problems and aggressiveness. They also tend to live longer.

I think the key is "live longer" especially if their mindset is that not neutering is a benefit to the animal

Thank you!! I will definitely try to point that out to them! I had no clue that neutered males lived longer then unneutered males. I do think they believe that not neutering him is a benefit to him but if I point this out to them they may be more keen on neutering him. Thank you so much!

Latest posts

Back