What to do next...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished their longest date yet, it was almost 2 hours!

Lopsy is still trying to hump her from time to time, but they are also lying next to each other a bit (usually until he goes to hump her). She doesn't get agressive though, even when he tries to hump her face, which he is thankfully doing a bit less at least.

There has still been no grooming though, apart from by me haha. the banana thing didn't work, so I'm not sure what else to try apart from just hoping they do it in their own time! they are doing pretty well though, they seem very comfortable together because they eat together and groom themselves etc which I believe are signs of being comfortable. they don't view each other as a threat, and they are also sharing a litter box.

I'm hoping to have them living together by the time I go away in two weeks time so that it will be easier for whoever I get to look after them. so please give me lots of encouragement so I can get there!

Sometimes if you pet them both at the same time when they put their heads by each other for grooming, they get tricked into thinking that the other is grooming them and then they start grooming each other, if you know what I mean. Good luck!

Yeah I had read that some other time somewhere else, I was definitely giving it a darn good try! I was petting them for ages and ages while they were next to each other, partly because of that reason and partly because it keeps Lopsy calm and distracted from humping her.

Any other ideas.... anyone?!? Is there any chance Lopsy will hump less if Lulu starts grooming him? She still seems to be the one that really want to be groomed though. ah dear I don't know what else to try apart from prayer haha

They were just together for about 70 minutes... I still feel like the no grooming thing is their biggest issue. I think I will post a thread about grooming in the general section to hopefully get more replies.

I'll still check here though as well :)

I think they're pretty much as bonded as you can hope for at this stage. Probably not ready to live together, but if you can leave them together out of a cage for hours and hours, they will get there. It doesn't sound like they're fighting.

How big would their future together home be?

I don't know that Darry (spayed girl, or so I was told) and Mister (recently neutered male) are all that bonded, but they never really fight, but Darry mounts Mister constantly and he does get mad and he'll turn and try and mount her to chase her off.

And they're barely grooming each other. But they live together happily in my bathroom-turned-bunny room. I have a piece of plywood covering the tub, they can go behind the toilet and I also have a tunnel and carrier filled with hay on on the floor, lots of get-away spots and nobody can get cornered.

They're quite different from Sherry and Marvin who are always cuddling, always grooming and never mount.

I'd still double check with a vet or breeder that he really is neutered.

sas :bunnydance:

I'm not sure if I quite get what you mean by as bonded as you could hope for. But it sounds like I should increase the space I am giving them together, and the time too. I have had them in about 2m x 3m so I can be close to intervene, but I have been thinking it might be time to increase the area soon.
No they don't fight, but I certainly don't feel like I can really leave them alone together still. Lopsy does still try to mount her face from time to time, which is mainly what I'm worried about it because I've read about the injuries that can occur. Lulu hasn't shown any signs of agression though.

In regards to their future home together, my boyfriend built a hutch which is still sitting empty outside. It is 1.5m long which I know isn't massive but it's certainly bigger than the pet shop ones we looked at. I also have an indoor cage which I think is 1.2m. I have a x pen thing as well that I can put around the house too to make a bigger space temporarily, but we don't really have a spare spot in the house that can be a permanent home for them. So neither cage is big enough for them to be left alone in yet... but we're working towards it!

Where will they be in two weeks, when you're not around? What are your options?

I'd try moving them in together in a big space however you can manage it for the next week. If there's no hint of fighting, try the size they will be in while your gone just to make sure they're good to go.

sas :)

The options for when I am gone I suppose are either the indoor or outdoor cage, either at my house or at a friend's house. And they should get a run around outside of the cage each day as well. So yeah it will be a smaller space. But if they aren't ready then I won't risk it, I just thought it's worth a shot. It's a good motivator after 10 months of being scared about it...

I will try give them heaps of hours together tomorrow and the next day, in a bigger space. A temporary set up for the week will have to be in my room, so I will wait until after the weekend cos my sick boyfriend is staying over and I doubt he will be keen on the idea of sleeping with the bunnies!

Thanks so much, I feel like I have a clearer idea of where I'm heading with them.

I had them in a bigger area for thirty-five mins but put him back because he kept on mounting her and I think she was getting a bit frustrated. ah dear.

Latest posts

Back