What to do next...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crystal

Reaction score
I somehow worked up the courage to give Lopsy and Lulu a date on my own, without my dad hovering around with gardening gloves.

Their last date was 10 minutes of them eating next to each other. which was great.

This time they ate together a bit, but then started following each other. As far as I can tell they are both showing good signs- Lulu goes over to Lopsy and puts her head down wanting to be groomed. so she must like him, right? And Lopsy wants to hump her but she is faster so she hops away. This also means she he likes her, right?

She wants snuggles, and he wants to hump. She isn't really tolerating any humping, and he isn't giving her any licks. After a little while I separated them. So what should I do next? I am wondering about trying them in a box on top of the washing machine? Sort of like a car ride but without the hassle of having to get the bunnies up to the car etc. Should I try this, and if so would I do it before or after a normal "date" session?

I feel like they're making progress but I'm not sure what I should do next (apart from the same thing as what we have been doing).

Any advice welcome! let me know if you want more info about anything.

I did another quick date just now, another 15 mins or so.

They ate together for a while again, their noses about an inch apart. Then they were side by side (parallel) for a little while. Lulu was putting her nose/head under Lopsy's body, then Lopsy did it to her as well - what does this mean? It seems to me like they both want the other one to groom them.

Then today Lopsy was trying a few times to hump Lulu's face... yesterday he knew which end to go for but today he didn't. I pulled him off her. I dont want her to hurt him! she seems to be quite patient though.

I would really appreciate some help... someone... :anyone:

Since nobody has responded as of yet, I'll give my 1 cent, lol. I don't have much expirience in bonding.

It sounds like it's going well. It does sound like they both want groomed, which is where I ran into trouble when trying to bond. My female started to groom, but my male would not reciprocate.

Have you read our thread in the library on bonding? I can attach it here if you haven't, it may help a bit. You could trysmearing some bananna on their heads to encourage grooming by both. I know it sounds kinda funny, but it has worked for some members, lol. Or, use anything they really like, craisen juice would work too.:p

It sounds like you're doing a good job so far! Best of luck to you!

Also, if you could get some video of a bonding session, would be great for us to help evaluate what you should do next.:D

Here's the thread on Bonding:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12072&forum_id=17

Thanks very much for the reply! I am interested in your experience especially because you had a similar thing happen! what ended up working for them?

I was under the impression that the submissive bunny licks the dominant bunny... but they are both supposed to lick each other are they? I thought Lopsy was dominant, because Lulu seems quiet, but she is the one that seems to be the keenest on being groomed. maybe they are a bit stubborn haha like me not agreeing to massage my bf unless he will massage me lol.

I was thinking about trying the banana thing. I assume I would put it on both of them at the same time. I'm going away tonight so maybe I will plan to do the banana next week and just give them another short session today and see if they are much the same.

I will try and get a video sometime! My main concern is Lopsy trying to hump her, especially her face... hopefully that stops. I would like some advice on this, especially if it keeps going.

me again.... haha I hope a few people have a look in here and offer a few suggestions!

I did another date just now. at the beginning they weren't very calm, but rather than freaking out I put some pellets down which they happily ate. they were side by side touching each other while eating. other times they have been close but not touching so I guess this is progress.

then Lopsy started wanting to hump Lulu again. Lulu hopped off and lay next to the wall, so presumably she is pretty relaxed. but then Lopsy would keep coming over and bugging her and trying to have his way with her so I would move him away. I can't remember what else happened, apart from it still seems like they are both to stubborn to be the first to start grooming.

It probably sounds really dumb, but when Lopsy came to me he was said to be desexed. but now I am not sure whether maybe he is not after all... he certainly is lovely but because of all this humping it's got me wondering... I know it can be about dominance, but his whole body twitches and it seems like a hormonal thing. there is lump in presumably the right place, but only on one side. his body is abnormal so it's hard to know what is what down there! gosh I must sound so stupid, and I feel stupid because I have seen two male rabbits that were obviously male. but with him I can't tell if he has a growth or a testicle. what I don't know is, will a neutered male twitch when he is trying to hump?

You do not sound stupid at all! Great questions and concerns, actually. You are right on in thinking he could be still intact, I was thinking the same thing. Best to get that checked out.

I don't have much for bonding, my situation didn't work out, when I thought I had them going good outside, and was going to start on non neutral territory, they got in a huge fight outside, so I stopped. I lost my female months later...

Another litle trick is to put a towel down in a laundry basket and place them in that. See how that goes, you can put treats in there, whatever you think makes them comfortable, but I would avoid something that has the scent of one of them on.;) You can carry them around in it, much like a car ride.:D

Sorry for such a long delay... I was away last weekend and then went back to uni this week.

I just feel so silly about the idea of taking my rabbit to the vet who I have had since last April and saying "I thought he was desexed but now I dont know... is he desexed?". I don't want the lump to be a bad growth, but if it's not that then the only option I can see is that it's a testicle haha.

could I get a photo of the lump and post it up here for opinions....

crystal wrote:
I just feel so silly about the idea of taking my rabbit to the vet who I have had since last April and saying "I thought he was desexed but now I dont know... is he desexed?". I don't want the lump to be a bad growth, but if it's not that then the only option I can see is that it's a testicle haha.

could I get a photo of the lump and post it up here for opinions....

Absolutely, try and use Photobucket or another hosting site.

We'd love to see the pic to help you out if we can.Plus, that's good for a Library article.:)

haha you'd love to see the pic of a lump which may or may not be rabbit genitalia lol

I'll try get a photo sometime when I have someone else around to hold him so I can hold the camera easily... my dad did well to hold Lopsy firmly today so I could cut his nails. It was the first time I tried it and it was very easy! So I will ask my dad to hold him again when I get a chance.

Great thread! I'm getting my first - second bun and will be dealing with this very issue and would have the same question - so thanks in advance.

I work at a bunny shelter and have noticed a few bonded buns have a disagreement and one will go hump the others head (act of dominance I'm guessing). The shelter staff has told me its lots of "minutes together" and then separate them, but allow them to still be near each other, which can take weeks or month and/or may not happen.

Yours sound like they are getting there though.

Good luck and would love to hear what you find works or does not.

I know I should be doing some more dates but I still haven't done any for the last week or so. Hopefully it's not going to totally ruin the progress I had made!

I do think they are doing pretty well too. They don't have too many issues! They really seemed to change a lot over the last 6 months just by having them housed next to each other... although it's not ideal that it has taken me so long.

Sorry I think I might be tired and not comprehending... what did you mean by this sentence: The shelter staff has told me its lots of "minutes together" and then separate them, but allow them to still be near each other ?!?

I did another date today, and they were pretty good again. they spent a while eating together again, and sitting very close to each other but then Lopsy started trying to hump her again, off and on. I tried the banana on the head thing but it didn't seem to produce the results we wanted.

I finally got a pic, I still feel silly about it but I now think that it is most likely a testicle. He is lopsided though, no sign of a lump on the other side. and when I got him I was led to believe that he was desexed... ah anyway here is the pic, what do you think? is he still a man? cos if he is, he is incredibly calm and lovely.

4444140627_87e78f2413.jpg

It appears to be a neutered male. However, bucks have the ability to retract their testicles, so it can be difficult to tell whether or not a male is neutered.

Since you were told he was neutered, I would assume he was.

There is a clear lump there though, which the photo doesn't really do justice. but it doesn't seem to always be there, which I have read happens with testicles (as you say).

My friend saved from him being put to sleep, she heard from the owners that he was desexed... so it's third hand, so I'm not entirely convinced I guess.

Hopefully is humping subsides!

Amber used to hump Dunkin like crazy during the bonding process. If I wasn't positive she was a spayed female I would have thought she was a male trying to mate. It's most likely dominance related, especially if he isn't courting the female. When Amber would hump Dunkin, he would sit for a few seconds with a horrified look then quickly hop away. She would also hump his face occasionally. I would allow it, knowing it was their way of establishing who's boss. If Amber got really hump crazy and Dunkin was obviously becoming upset, like a fight was brewing, I would squirt Amber with a water bottle. She'd stop to clean herself off.

One day Amber went to hump Dunkin (by now they were spending hours together without any fighting on semi-neutral territory) and he spun around and snapped at air with his teeth. Amber was shocked that he stood up for himself! Dunkin put her in her place. Now they are bonded and she hasn't humped him since that day. I believe that Amber was wanting to be the dominate rabbit, but Dunkin wasn't willing to allow it. So for a while they were stuck in this rut of Dunkin not asserting himself and Amber over-asserting herself to prove a point. When Dunkin finally gave the message loud and clear that he would not put up with her disrespect, Amber seemed to view him in a new light. She has been glued to his side since then.

I found it interesting that Dunkin has never once humped her, even though he's the male. Something that really helped the bonding process with my two, having their cages side by side and switching them into each others.

The thing is, it reminds me more of a JUST neutered bunny, or one that's only been neutered for a few weeks--like the sac is starting to retract/degrade like they do. It also looks like there's a scar or some wound discharge on there. With my guys who've been neutered for a long time, there isn't any extra skin where their testicles used to be or anything. I think I'd be hard pressed to even find a scar there. Are you sure that's not a scent gland? They have some weird bumps in them sometimes.

Thanks for sharing that experience Erika. He doesn't hump her like crazy, they eat quite happily together for a while and then a bit later he tries. So hopefully after a bit longer he stops. I guess he is trying to show his dominance but since he is disabled she can move much faster than him so she just hops away.

Thanks Claire for responding too. It is puzzling because I've had him for almost a year so he definitely hasn't just been neutered... that is very puzzling indeed.

Hmmm what does a scent gland look like?!?! I have no idea! How many scent glands do they have? The mystery continues...

I think he's just trying to upsurt his dominance. I see this at the shelter with our bonded pairs, but give the dominant bun a few seconds when I see this behaviour and then say "off!".. I think its over the top after a few seconds (15 or so) and then their just "showing off" to the staff.

Someone has to be in charge - you just do not want to have a "Hitler" in charge. Youshould set the tone for your "brood". Your in charge and the male bun is second.

Happy that your so "Johnny on the Spot" with watching everything and curious how it moves forward so post again with updates.

Hmmm hopefully I am still in charge. I think he might be getting the point, I could be wrong but it seems like if I lift up my hand (gardening glove) which I was using to stop him that he settles down. It's like he's got the idea that he's not supposed to do that. I don't mind if he mounts her a little bit to get the dominance thing sorted but she just runs off so I'm not sure if it's serving it's purpose or not... but she has never tried to mount him so I guess she is happy with being submissive? she does however seem to want to be groomed!

I am quite involved, like I sit in with them and interfere I guess... but I was wondering if I should be more of an observer than a participant? are there theories on this, does anyone know?

Latest posts

Back