What to Do For a Rabbit Who Has Constant Weepy Eyes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LopsAreGreat

Reaction score
Hi! I have a rabbit who has constant weepy eyes. I feel so bad for him always having weepy eyes and crusted fur around his eyes. I know I can take him to the vet, which I will do if there isn’t any over the counter applications to give to his eyes. I saw on a reputable breeder’s Instagram story one time an application to give that is safe and that you don’t have to go to the vet for. I’d like to know what I can do for his weepy eyes for things I can buy at the store. If I can’t though, I’ll take him to the vet. For anyone who says take him to the vet, thank you, but I want to hear from other people’s experience of using an application that you can use and buy at the store. But like I said again, if there isn’t anything I can use, I will take him to the vet. 90CAB515-63DC-43B5-8F02-C7B8AAB20F15.jpeg
Here he is. You can clearly see his weepy eyes (he’s the blue harlequin split with his head on the REW doe). This picture was taken after he had a little date with her 😆 9 fall offs!

I can’t remember if it helps with weepy eye at the moment (you’d need to read the description of the product), but I used Vetricyn for an eye infection, which worked pretty well. I hear Terramycin works better, but again you’d need to read to see if it helps with weepy eye

I've had 3 lops in my family and all of them developed weepy eye at some point.....all 3 also developed cataracts and were happy, functioning blind rabbits.
My current bun, Momo, gets really weepy at times. I think his is due to allergies, as his teeth are in very good shape for an elder bun.
When I give him his daily meloxicam for his arthritis, at the same time I have a little glass of warm water and tissue on hand. I dip my finger in the water and work it through the fur and them absorb the water with a tissue. I do that until it's no longer salty. Periodically, throughout the day, I take a napkin and dry the tears from his fur. If the tears build up and remain on the fur, it can cause irritation to the skin. !
Every now and then, he will get tiny scabs from the salt irritating his skin and I put a tiny dab of Triple Antibiotic Ointment on them. This is totally safe to use.....I've used it in my own eyes for the occasional eye infection....seriously!
I think Momo actually enjoys the eye cleaning. He doesn't have a bond mate and my damp finger must feel a bit like a bunny tongue grooming him.
So, unless you don't suspect tooth issues, which can cause weepy eye (especially in lops) you may just haffta commit to a daily regimen.MomoChristmas2021B2.jpg

I can’t remember if it helps with weepy eye at the moment (you’d need to read the description of the product), but I used Vetricyn for an eye infection, which worked pretty well. I hear Terramycin works better, but again you’d need to read to see if it helps with weepy eye
Ah thank you! I remember now that it was Terramycin that they recommended. That’s what I’ve been trying to remember! I’m going to order that and start using it. Thank you Dog Wood Blossoms!

I've had 3 lops in my family and all of them developed weepy eye at some point.....all 3 also developed cataracts and were happy, functioning blind rabbits.
My current bun, Momo, gets really weepy at times. I think his is due to allergies, as his teeth are in very good shape for an elder bun.
When I give him his daily meloxicam for his arthritis, at the same time I have a little glass of warm water and tissue on hand. I dip my finger in the water and work it through the fur and them absorb the water with a tissue. I do that until it's no longer salty. Periodically, throughout the day, I take a napkin and dry the tears from his fur. If the tears build up and remain on the fur, it can cause irritation to the skin. !
Every now and then, he will get tiny scabs from the salt irritating his skin and I put a tiny dab of Triple Antibiotic Ointment on them. This is totally safe to use.....I've used it in my own eyes for the occasional eye infection....seriously!
I think Momo actually enjoys the eye cleaning. He doesn't have a bond mate and my damp finger must feel a bit like a bunny tongue grooming him.
So, unless you don't suspect tooth issues, which can cause weepy eye (especially in lops) you may just haffta commit to a daily regimen.View attachment 58624
Aw cute bunny! Thank you for the info. I’ve looked at his teeth before, which I usually do with all my rabbits from time to time to make sure they’re not having any dental problems, and he has great teeth. So I think I’m going to have to do a daily routine of using an ointment, but I’m ok with that if it helps out his weepy eyes. I’ve had to do it in the past with one of older bunnies who sadly passed away a few years ago. She developed cataracts and after she went blind, we had to start using an ointment and give it to her daily. So I’m fairly familiar with that kind of stuff. Thunder, our buck who has weepy eyes, is such a sweet boy and he doesn’t let his watery eyes get the better of him, he’s a very happy boy and I think he’ll be even happier once we start using an ointment for his eyes. Thank you for the help!

Latest posts

Back