What to do after the spay....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shananagrams

Reaction score
So I finally got the strength to make the appointment for Lucy (about a year old) to get spayed by a vet who specializes with rabbits And works with a rabbit rescue in the area. The appointment is next week. I'm terrified.

Any advice for after the spay? :nerves1
I've always had males that weren't fixed or buns that were already spayed so I'm clueless in this area.

If she has any shelves in her cage, you're going to want to remove those or block her access to them. It's best to keep her from jumping for a few days. You'll also want to keep her confined to her cage at first.
Please be sure that you are sent home with pain medication. If they aren't included in the spay, pay extra for them. Abdominal surgery is painful.

I will pay anything to make her feel comfortable. Should I keep her cage cleaned as in no droppings etc everyday?

She is going to hate being locked in the cage as she is free range. I feel bad for the poor little girl :(

You may also want to ask the vet to check her teeth while she's under. It's a convenient time to have it done since she's already out for the spay.

It'll be a little scary as she'll probably just lay around and mope a lot. Shya got spayed and went 12 hours of nothing! No eating no pooping no water drinking. Very scary. She just had her eye removed and is bouncing off the walls. I dont think rabbits understand the perspective issue like we do. Just keep a watchful eye on her

Kaley, I'm sure rabbits [Shya especially] say WE don't have the right perspective.

I'd also ask about if the vet uses a cone to keep her from getting at the stitches or uses another way that doesn't irritate the rabbit [mentally irritate, I mean].

When Faith was spayed a year ago I did keep her cage especially clean while trying not to disturb her too terribly much. She had 5 days of metacam. I kept her in an x-large dog crate for 14 days ( my vet suggested 10-14 days). She was not happy with me, but in the grand scheme of things it was better than her ripping her stiches and having to be rushed to the vet (I cringe at every one of those I hear about). She forgave me :biggrin2:

Hugs to Lucy from Freckles, Humma, and Faith!

Do you know what rescue the vet is affiliated with? We have/had a member (who is very busy with a new baby so I'm not sure how active she is now) who worked with 3Bunnies rescue, I think, and she might have experience with that vet that could set your mind at ease. She's in Rocky Hill, CT.

The vet does work with three bunnies rescue, do you know her username?

this spay is going to burn a hole in my wallet ($400+) but Lucy seems so miserable ever since her hormones set in. Im still extremely scared about the spay. :panic:

The member is JadeIcing. I'm not sure if she's back but you can try PMing her, and I can also try to contact her on facebook if you can't get a hold of her.

Make sure your bunny is drinking right after the spay, as the anesthesia(sp) will dehydrate her. Eating comes later. Keep her confined to her cage for a few days. Nowadays they use dissolveable stitches and they glue the incision shut. The vet did that for Sweetie when I had her spayed. I was a nervous wreck when I had my Sweetie spayed, because she is so tiny. I wasn't okay until I got her home. A good thing is to have other vets on call in case something goes wrong. There were two other vets and a vet tech on call the day that Sweetie got spayed, just in case something went wrong. That is because my vet never did a rabbit spay before, but he did extensive research on rabbit spay before performing a spay on Sweetie. Sweetie was a year and three months when I had her spayed. Any questions, just ask.

I never updated! Miss Lucy needs to be spayed still. She is healthy and has no signs of cancer etc. When we took the girls to the vet Penny our lop who was "spayed" was not. Bonus, she had uterine cancer. It cost $600, so our healthy Lucy will have have to wait until January when I have vacation and money. She has had a follow up to make sure she is o.k in the meantime. Penny is fine and cancer free!

The vet called and said her uterus was so discolored that she did blood work to ensure it didn't enter the blood stream and genuinely shocked it did not. She is well and healthy and much skinnier. Turns out she wasn't over weight, the poor girl had tumors growing :(

So the next mission is spay Lucy. Wait a month or two and attempt a bond...haha?

14aam82.jpg

A happy and healthy Penny begging for treats (shocking I know)

Latest posts

Back