What this forum has taught me.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babymaker64

Reaction score
I was sat watching my buns play today and I started to think about just how much I've learnt since joining this group. As you all know I was thrown into being a bunny slave with my 2 rescue buns. I would have never conciderd having a bun as a pet as I thought that there was nothing more boring. How wrong could I have been?

Before joining this group I believed that rabbits were caged animals. Something that you feed and water and nothing more. I would have housed them in something like this and not thought anything of it.
hutch.jpg

I mean how much space does a boring caged animal need?

I would have fed them the cheapest food available as all rabbit food is the same, Isn't it?

Why give them excercise? Arnt they happy to just sit there?

Why waste money on vaccinations when they never leave their hutch?

I wouldn't have fixed any of the rabbits. If they had babies I would just give them away.

It doesn't take up much time cleaning them up once a fortnight.

Thankfully for my buns I found you guys. I knew nothing about rabbits. I wonder just how many people get rabbits on purpose and know as little as I did. (poor buns)

I have happy rabbits that give me so much pleasure. I guess the more you put in the more you get out.
Thanks again everyone for educating me.

I've learned SO much from this forum too. I have to admit that when I first got Belle two years ago, I figured I'd find her a new home. She was going to become snakefood at a petstore. So I took her home and fell in love. Maggie had a very similar story, except about a week after I got Maggie back in Janurary, I began reading a bunch of topics on this forum. And it wasn't until just recently that I actually joined.

I totally agree with you. The more you put in, the more you get out.

The one thing I haven't managed to learn is to not read classified ads and how to resist the temptation if you do read them. ;)

I purposfully got a bunny and I feel like I knew nothing about them even though I had been researching for years. I bought an alfalfa mix rabbit food, now I feed him timothy. I bought a store cage(which are always too small, and this one was no difference) now he has an NIC mansion that is at least 4 times the size of his old cage. People like JimD, Jadeicing, Pam, Pipp, Spring, Naturstee, Haley, Honeypot, Jordiwes, Angelnsnuffy, maherwoman and a million others I promise I'm not forgetting on purpose are a godsend for bunnies.

:great::heartbeat:We love you guys!

I learned so much on the forum too! I joined just a few weeks before adopting Mallory and Morgan :).

Yeah, I did research through rabbit.org and stuff....but there is NOTHING better than being on a forum and experiencing everything first hand.

Everyone/Everybun is family here!

:hugsquish:

Hehe I have learned a bit here. Mostly money saving techniques.:p

I've learned tons since I joined the forum. When I joined, I also knew nothing about rabbits and JUST got my first bun.

I don't own any rabbit books cause when I go to the store and I look through them, I always think - this info is already on the forum, and if it's not, I can just ask and someone will know.

Everyone here is awesome!

:biggrin2:

Nadia

I've learned alot to!!! And I have to say thank you to every one here for teaching me so much!!!

Plus I get to talk to people who know and are interested in what I'm saying about rabbits.

-TK :thanks:

I learnt so much too!

I learnt:

What sort of pellets were good and what were bad
That bunnies need hay
That bunnies need their nails clipped
Spaying and neutering were possible
What pregnancies can do to a rabbit and all the things that can go right or wrong
How the digestive system works
What foods were safe and not safe
That bunnies can be kept indoors
And bunnies could be bonded!

:biggrin2:

when i was the assistant manager of a pet store, people would always come in wanting to buy rabbits. they assumed they were easy care pets that you just chucked into an outdoor cage and all they required was food and water. i've always been passionate about animal welfare but particularly rabbits and so i would ensure that every single person who enquired about rabbits knew EXACTLY how indepth rabbit care truly was. most of the time i wouldn't even be finished explaining their care needs before people would make this face :shock:and decide on a mouse or fish lol. 9 out of 10 customers wanting to buy rabbits would change their mind after i gave them even a basic run down on rabbit care and i was always relieved when they would change their mind, because i could tell whichcustomers were going to be dedicated and whichcustomers weren't. i would even go out the back into the staffroom and cry if someone bought a rabbit and i was concerned over their understanding of rabbit care lol.

i truly wish that all animal owners were forced to sit an exam on basic animal care first and have to pass it in order to buy or adopt a pet. it would sort the genuine animal lovers from the people who just wanted something cute to dress in costumes and take out in the public when they go to get their starbucks :grumpy:

this forum is AWESOME for educating people and if anyone in the future asks me about rabbits, i will definitely be referring them to RO!

er, sorry for the length-y post, i get worked up about animal welfare.... :?

Girlzilla, well said! I wish people needed a license to buy pets! I also wish rabbits were really, really expensive to buy so that only people who truly wanted one would be able to, and that after such an investment, they would do anything in their power to make sure they looked after them in the right way!

I, too, would also like to thank everyone on this forum, I have learned SO, SO much! Even when I don't post, I'm ALWAYS reading! Oh, yeah, and my bunnies say a huge thank you as well! Without this forum, they'd be a lot more intimidating to rescue!

I agree. I really wish I wouldve found this forum much sooner.

Im surprised Basil made it so long with my minimal bunny knowledge before I joined. I remember once when he was going into what I now know was GI stasis. No emergency vets would see a rabbit and I didnt know what to do. Im so lucky he made it through that.

And my sweet boy Max, with his abscess and breathing problems this past spring, would not be alive it werent for RO. The knowledge and encouragement I received from the members and mods here was invaluable.

This forum really helped me understand just how wonderful rabbits are.. I had always loved them, but never knew just how awesome they really are. Hearing other members stories and seeing all the pictures just confirms what wonderful creatures rabbits are as a whole, and that they are a companion I will never be without.

This forum also gave me different vies on lots of different topics that have helped me become a better bunny slave.

This is hands down, the absolute best forum on the web, without a doubt. I don't know what I'd do without RO!

:heart:

Hey guys and gals, I'm going to move this thread into our "Public Announcements" section so non-members can see all the wonderful things you guys have to say about the forum.

I'll let everyone post for a while longer before I move the thread (I think once I move it into that section it is no longer editable).

So keep gushing! You guys are great - and this is a great thread!

Nadia

This wasn't taught b ut something I gained here....a support system.

I would like to add that as well as learning all about general care of rabbits, this forum has shown me what is an emergency and what isn't. My rabbits wee turned red and I was out of my mind until you guys told me that it can be quite normal. :biggrin2:

My rabbit Stanley got bit on the nose by another bun and I thought nothing of it. I thought that it would heal without meds. When you guys said that rabbits make puss for fun and it could turn nasty I took him to the vets and he said he same thing. He was given anibiotics and healed well. I always listen to advice on here and it always helps. thanks.

The thing I find with this forum is, because it is a forum we all experience each others buns problems together. Therefore when it happens to you and your bun you feel as though you have already been though it in some way, so youfeel a bit more prepared.

I definitely felt that way when Ruby and Millie had statis, because I had watched people on this forum nurse their rabbits through it many times before I felt much more prepared when it happened. If it hadn't been for this forum and it's members, my girls might not be here today.

It's definitely not something you can learn from a book or website.;)

babymaker64 wrote:
I would like to add that as well as learning all about general care of rabbits, this forum has shown me what is an emergency and what isn't. My rabbits wee turned red and I was out of my mind until you guys told me that it can be quite normal. :biggrin2:

Oh gosh that reminds me when i first got Marshmallow over 3 1/2 years ago,she started having red wee and i thought something was wrong with her,i wasn't a member of any forum then,so i took her to the vet,who then told me that it's quite normal....hehe they must have thought i was quite a dork.

But yeah this forum is great,we canall learn from each others experiences:)

Cheryl

Latest posts

Back