What should I expect when Demetri gets neutered?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jap08m

Reaction score
Demetri gets neutered on the 18th of this month and I've read alot of the information that is online, but I would prefer to hear from people who have been through it personally. Any information, tips, etc would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks

I haven't experienced getting a rabbit neutered, but you can find what other people who have, have posted. Just do a search here for the threads.

One of the things I remember from reading them is that it's a good idea to make sure beforehand that the vet will be giving you pain meds to take home. But a lot more was covered, so I think finding it would be very helpful.

I'm sure all will go pretty smoothly, but being prepared surely will help.

I was soooo nervous the day got Honey neutered, but male rabbits are pretty straight-forward. I gave him his pellets in the morning before I took him in so I knew he had something in his tummy, just in case he didn't eat for a bit after the operation. When I dropped him off a brought a small bag of hay to leave with him and asked the vets to give it to him when he woke up, just so he had something to eat if he wanted. When I picked him up he was a bit groggy--I set him up with a blanket in his cage instead of the usual aspen shavings I was using at the time, and I made sure there was fresh hay and cilantro (his favorite) to entice him to eat. For the first day he did a lot of laying around. I didn't have a problem getting him to eat at all, and as long as you see poos in the litterbox, you know they're eating. After a couple days he was back to his normal self, though I didn't let him out of his pen for about a week to make sure he couldn't go zooming around. And he stopped his humping after just a couple weeks, though I know hormones can last a lot longer in rabbits even after fixing...I was lucky, lol.

I think females are supposed to take longer to get back to normal as the operation is much more invasive.

I havent gone thru this yet.. i'm in the process of setting an appointment for September (when i'm on vacation).

I did learn that rabbits arent like dogs or cats and they SHOULDNT fast before the surgery. So sending the bun with lots of hay would be a good idea and feed before the surgery. Good luck!

Just had Derby neutered last month. The vet that did him does male rabbits through the scrutum so that there are not external stitches for them to chew. She also give female rabbits IV as their surgery is longer and less chance that way of them going into shock. All bunnies should be sent with their regular hay and pellets. Most vet let them eat right up to going into surgery and right after. Good thing in Derby's case as he was scheduled for 9 in the morning but was bumped till well after lunch because of emergencies. I took him in his traveling case with one of his favourite stuffies to put his head on during the trip and a thick blanket in the bottom. He got metacam for 4 days after surgery, especially important to make sure they have some before leaving if you have any distance to go. Derby was a little groggy the first day, but by the second day was completely back to normal. Eating, drinking and getting into mischief. Keeping them off stuff is the biggest challenge. It was rainy when he was done, he was allowed out in his yard but not when wet as they didn't want his stitches to get wet. As they were all inside, I wondered about the logic of that?? but did as was suggested. Male rabbits surgery is easier and they bounce back faster. It took about 3 weeks for him to quit humping his stuffies, we now just give them chinnings.

I've had to have a few of my boys neutered down the years, and they've all been astonishingly fine. They come back groggy and quiet, best to leave them somewhere peaceful and enclosed and a little bit warm to get past the nasty anasthetic feeling so they feel safe. But they seem to shake it off within just a few hours, and their painkillers must be effective, since mine barely even moved carefully afterwards. Once he wakes up a bit, just make sure he's got fresh water and nommy treats so he's eating again asasp, any break in stuffing face is bad for a bunny, even a few hours. I'm sure you'll find he'll be right as rain very quickly. Then just check his rear every day for a few days to make sure there's no infection or swelling, or he doesn't get poop anywhere. But as I say - I've never had even a tiny problem and it's all very quick.
There was only one rabbit I had who changed a bit after the op. He got really fat and lazy, so just keep in mind that your boy might chill out a bit. good luck and don't worry!

How's Demetri doing? Hope all went well!

Latest posts

Back