What should I do?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basil24

Reaction score
Greater Vancouver Area, British Columbia, Canada
So I was just reminding that my friends sister has a rabbit. It was originally hers but she got sick of caring for it, so now it's her dads responsibility. This rabbit lives in a hutch in the far section of their backyard. He's out there all the time, except in the winter when they put his hutch in the backyard. His name is Oreo and hes a medium sized lop. I'm trying to remember if the bottom of the hutch was wired, and I think it is but he has nests for himself on it. (out of hay and fur). I just don't know if something should be done or not. I'm trying to stay away from being the rabbit preacher, which many of my friends know me as, but I don't want to see this bun neglected.
Anyway, does anyone have any ideas as to what I should do?

Thanks
Tina :anyone:

My adivce to you is to not get involved. If the rabbit doesnt seem neglected, as in not getting clean water, food, and regular cage cleanings.. dont worry yourself too much.

If the cage is on wire it is both good and bad for the rabbit, it is good that the rabbit doesnt have to sit in its own waste, but bad that his feet have to sit on wire 24/7. However, if there is a place for him to get off the wire, then that problem is taken care of as well.

Rabbits enjoy it outside, the winter can be harsh on rabbits, but with a proper hutch, and area filled with hay and fur, they can make it just fine.

The only thing you can do for a bunny that isn't being treated exactly right but is still not being treated cruelly is to try to educate the owner. You could ask to take a look at the bunny, and if it has any health problems, like sore hocks from the wire, you could mention that they look painful and maybe some ointment would be good, etc. You can also direct them to books and websites that help. Just letting them know that there's info out there if they need it can be good because the more they learn about how to take care of rabbits, the more likely they are to take better care of them. You can't force them to change, but you can make the information available for them if they do want to change, and nudge them along that it might be good if they did change some things (like looking for sore hocks etc).

I'm not sure if your in a position to actually do this, but if you are seriously worried about it you could just tell them that the rabbit is adorable and if they ever want to rehome it to let you know.

You dont have to say anything about not liking how they are keeping if. It doesnt really seem like they want it anyway, so it might be a tactful way to help it.

if ur anything like me which it sounds like u are....i cant just walk away from a critter that is neglected...i would lose sleep over him...somebodies gotta step up for the innocent..that bunny is prob so lonely and miserable...prob begging for somebody to give it a little attention.....are u in a position where u can take the bun ?>.if so ...talk to them i can guarantee that bunny is a nuiscance to them and they would be grateful if ud take it off their hands...
one mans trash is another mans treasure...

It sounds like a very sad situation with the sister being too ill to care for the bun. Maybe you and your friend could care for it. Maybe the dad doesn't know anything about rabbits or is simply too busy with other things to really realize the bunny is being neglected. Most people think if a bunny has food and water, it will do fine. If you are closeby, maybe you could go visit and play with the bunny? Maybe offer to help and foster it until the girl can care for him again?

Btw, just because he is outside doesn't necessarily mean he is neglected. Maybe they let him out or play with him and you don't know about it?

I wish I was in a position to take him. But I'm not. I was thinking of suggesting a rabbit rescue where he would be indoors and have proper medical care. I have tried in the past to put them in the right direction of house bunny care, but they didn't take me very seriously. The first time I didn't want to shove it down their throats. I mean, I am trying to stay away from the title "The crazy bunny lady".

Well unfortunately I don't live nearby. And the daughter isn't ill, she just got tired of looking after him. As far as I know, he's out there all the time. I've pressed questions about it before since it really bothered me, little Oreo being outside all the time.

Latest posts

Back